Under the Rainbow

Under the Rainbow

A Story by Nikki
"

When Jeff and Kala venture on a romantic vacation to Washington, they never expected to be haunted by a Native American Legend: The Stick People. The Stick people are 'under the rainbow far from home.

"

Chapter 1: Vacation

Seattle, Washington

She unfolded her thick mat of wet, black hair from her hoodie and stepped out of her rusty, green truck. Rain tapped on her face like tiny fists and glided slowly down her lips. A dingy, orange sign greeted her from the gas station window: Welcome to Seattle, the Emerald City. She studied the faded, black letters curiously when a pair of hands suddenly grabbed her shoulder from behind, causing her to jump. A familiar, rough voice interrupted her train of thought.

“The Emerald City...we sure are a long way from Kansas now Dorothy,” he laughed.

She turned around and caught the cool, blue eyes of her fiance, Jeff. She shoved him away playfully.

“My name is Kala, thank you very much.” She retorted. Jeff yanked her hood down over her head, much to her irritation.

“How far are we from Olympia?” Kala asked.

“Not far compared to the twenty hours I have driven so far. We’ll get there today for sure.” Jeff promised.

“Great.” Kala said with a smile. She pecked him on the lips.

“I’ll join you in the car soon, Babe. I just need to get some gas.”

“Ok.”

Kala assumed her position shotgun and shifted through the typical tour guide book she had purchased at the last station. Jeff shook his hair like a dog and then quickly jumped into the front seat.

“Hey, Jeff,” Kala explained enthusiastically. “Apparently, Olympia is one of the last strongholds of the Salish tribe. They have inhabited Northwest Washington for thousands of years.”

“Ahhh.” Jeff said as he drove off. “You better not buy a bunch of those chotskies. Indians purposefully play some weird-ancestor sh--t and then trap tourists to buy worthless crap.”

Kala rolled her eyes. “No promises.”

Chapter 2: Arrival

Olympia, Washington

Kala’s phone indicated that they arrived at the hotel around sunset, but it was so dark that it felt like the middle of the night. They dragged their lumpy suitcases through the rain-stained cement floors and up to the reception desk. A clearly bored, middle-aged women who looked more like sixty due to her rough lifestyle, picked apathetically at her fingernails. The red nail polish dropped onto the worn, wooden table like specks of dried blood.

“Hello,” said Jeff. The women looked up with baggy under eyes and glared.

“How long you staying for?”

Jeff was surprised at her question, or maybe it was her tone of voice. “I do not know… a few days maybe. We wanted to check out the hiking. Why?”

The lady laughed. “Figured. Nobody stays long here.” She handed them two keycards. “Enjoy your stay.”

Jeff and Kala walked away towards the stairs that led up to their rooms.

“That was weird.” Jeff commented. Kala agreed thinking, Why didn't anyone stay here long?

Chapter Three: The Encounter

Olympia Peninsula, Washington

Early the next morning, Jeff shoved their large array of hiking gear into the back of the truck, anxious to hit the road. They headed up North, towards Olympia National Park. The weather was still gray, but bursts of sunlight were intermittently peeking their heads through the clouds. Kala looked out her window and let the breeze tossle her wild, black locks. She suddenly saw a sign flash by the side of the road. It read: Salish Indian Potluck and Fair. She nudged Jeff’s arm and screamed, “Stop please.” He braked reluctantly and pulled to the side of the road.

“What's wrong?” He asked.  

“I want to go to that Potluck.” She exclaimed.

“Which one?”

“That one.”

She got out of the car and headed towards the beaten path which the sign’s arrow had indicated  was the right way. Jeff groaned and followed, irritatingly adjusting his North Face vest.

“You always fall prey to these wacko, needy cultures. They just want your money.”

Kala ignored him and much to her delight, found the path leading to a huge clearing overlooking a beautiful lake. A collection of white tents and little, wooden cabins encircled each other as if they were holding hands. She could hear drums and singing. Natives in intriguing animal masks danced playfully around the clearing, chased by little children with clam shells falling from their hands. She smelled cooking fish and sweet sap. Kala did not see a single white person there and felt a bit out of place. A young girl sat under a pine tree to her left, intently weaving an intricate basket.

“Hey, do you know where I should go?” Kala tentatively inquired.

The girl pointed to the top of the circle, where the oldest, most worn cabin stood on the hill.

“Old Mom. She can help you.” The girl replied. Jeff, having just caught up, breathed an exasperated sigh. He threw a dollar bill at the girl who looked somewhat insulted. Kala rolled her eyes and began to walk towards Old Mom’s home.

Chapter 4: The Cabin of Old Mom

Old Mom was a wrinkly, heavy-set woman with wise, deeply sunk eyes. She wore a simple, gray cloth and a few beads on her wrist.

“Greetings. I sensed you would be here.” The woman said as Kala emerged over the hill. Jeff stormed in somewhat rudely, and critically looked around the cabin.

“I am here for the Potluck and the hiking,” explained Kala, but Old Mom just held up a large, warm hand.

“No, you are here for more purpose.”

She wetted her lips and grabbed Kala’s hand. Kala almost pulled away in fear, but something stopped her. Jeff just stared down Old Mom.

“We do not have any more money old woman,” He growled.

“No money.” Old Mom said. “I have a warning. Do not go up the Wind Mountain. It is a dark and forbidden place. Everything cries and they mock.”

Jeff laughed. “Who mocks?”

“You.” Old Mom explained as she was clearly wise. “And the Stick People resent.”

“Stick People?” Kala wondered.

“Yes. They are evil spirits which have tormented my tribe forever. They are as old as your God and Nature itself. They are offended easily and will not hesitate to do you harm. They mimic the forest and animals but they are nothing of the kind. They are masks.”

Jeff laughed again but Kala felt chilled to the bone.

“Come on Kala.” Jeff sneered. He grabbed Kala’s hand but she ignored him, lost in Old Mom’s wise, black eyes.

“I have made a charm to protect you, but it can only do so much. “Old Mom held out a tiny gray, stone owl. “Listen to when it calls and follow it home.”

Kala had barely taken it into her palm when Jeff dragged her away with a violent force.

“Go back to Oklahoma.” Mocked Jeff angrily. “We are so done with this Kala.”

Nobody noticed the silent tear Old Mom shed down her cheek.

Chapter Five: Mountain

Olympia National Park

They made it to the National Park around noon, much to Jeff’s annoyance. He kept complaining about Old Mom and ridiculing her premonitions.

“Your not really going to keep that?” He often said, pointing to the owl charm like he was damning its existence. Kala was lost for words. The tension finally eased when they began their hike. The forest was breathtaking, acres and acres of lush, green trees. Birds were chirping happily and squirrels were scampering along the ground. They traveled for what seemed like hours, across flowing, clear rivers and soft leaves and logs; but, always staying on the trail. That is until they approached the end of the path, according to their map.They were in awe at the appearance of a huge, arching mountain. Kala turned her map this way and that but could not find its name listed anywhere.

“Woah.” Jeff moaned.

His face became a huge grin. Kala took out her phone and snapped some photos, but the lighting was too dark to capture its intense beauty. It just looked like a black blur. Jeff pulled Kala tightly towards him.

“Let’s camp by that mountain tonight.” He declared. Kala was shocked.

“ We have a hotel.”

“Yeah, but the hotel is lame, you said so yourself. Wouldn't it be so cool and romantic to be up there by ourselves. Just us and the moon, baby.” He gave her a lovey look and she groaned.

“Freezing out in the cold.” Slight gusts of wind whipped around her hair. It had been dead, but steadily the breeze had been picking up.

“I’ll keep you warm. Come on!” Jeff argued. He began to walk off the trail and Kala had no choice but to follow. She didn't want to be sleeping solo. The wind began to pick up more and more dramatically until she was clutching Jeff’s backpack just to keep from falling over. It seemed to get worse and worse with every step towards the mountain.

“Let’s turn back.” She pleaded, but it fell on deaf ears.

“Almost there!” He cried.

The wind was so numbing that it brought tears to her eyes. It whistled harshly. Thorns and twigs reached up and scratched at her legs. Finally, after what seemed like forever, they arrived at a protected clearing at the base of the mountain. The view was absolutely spectacular and worth every step. Vegetation hugged the mountain and enormous, granite boulders flanked its side like bodyguards. A bright blue stream flowed next to the mountain and winded through the forest. Everything was bathed in shadow, but its beauty was still evident. But for some reason, Kala was skeptical. She had a bad feeling in the pit of her stomach.

“Wow.” Grinned Jeff.

Kala looked down at the owl charm that hung from her chest, remembering Old Mom’s grave words.

“Hey, maybe we should go back.” She said.

Jeff laughed. “Turn back now? The sun is already going to set in like half an hour.” Kala swallowed hard. The darkness was slowly inching forward; normally inviting, tonight it seemed like a threat. The beauty of the mountain quickly faded.

“Did you even bring a tent?” She asked.

“Yeah.” Jeff said.

“We’re you planning this?!” She angrily shouted. Jeff held out his hands in surrender.

“Geez, maybe. Is something wrong?”

“Wrong?! We are literally in the middle of nowhere!” She shrieked.

Jeff rolled his eyes.

“That's the whole point. Would you stop worrying!” He reached out to give her a hug but she quickly evaded his grasp. Sighing, he began to set up the tent. Kala watched the sun slowly sink beneath the horizon.

Chapter Six: The Wind Mountain

Ruefully, after a quick dinner of granola bars and fruit strips, Jeff and Kala settled into the tent to sleep. Jeff kept trying to kiss her and to get her in the mood, but Kala pushed him away. She could not stop the pounding in her chest and the aching fear. Finally giving up, Jeff drifted into slumber. Kala did not follow immediately, but eventually she closed her eyes.  As her lids gradually gained weight, she sunk into a deep sleep.

Kala remembered waking up around 3am, a chilling, cold wind jarring her senses. Jeff did not stir. She heard a faint whistle and stiffened up.

“Just the wind.” She said to reassure herself. But she heard it again, this time even louder. She felt her mouth go dry. She shook Jeff and he groaned.

“Wake up.” She whispered. He rolled over with glazed eyes. The whistle came again; it sounded as if it was just outside the tent.

“Wake up!” She yelled. Jeff stood up suddenly.

“What is it?”

“The whistle? Don’t you hear it?”

He paused. Silence. A twig cracked and Kala crawled back from the tent entrance. She could have sworn someone laughed when the twig broked. The whistle came again, now from behind the tent. Jeff groaned and threw the tent open.

“Who’s there?” He cried. Kala did not dare to breathe. Silence.

“Who’s there?!” Jeff demanded. No answer. The wind died down. Eventually, Jeff fell back asleep.  Kala slept fitfully, unable to forget Old Mom’s words.

Chapter Seven: Morning Welcome

The morning proved even more unsettling.  Kala and Jeff woke up to a disturbing cup of blood coffee. Jeff had left his mug outside on a stump and now it was covered in rabbit blood. A poor bunny, now a bundle of misshapen fur, had been skewed in the heart by a sharp twig. Its body draped across the stump, its eyes still wide open in panic.

“Poor rabbit.” Kala muttered. Her panic was growing. “The wind most have knocked a branch down on it.” She was not sure who she was convincing.

“What’s up Doc?” Snickered Jeff. He took his mug and carelessly dumped the blood off to the side. He threw the rabbit, twig and all, into the brush. A few drops of blood got on his hands. He tried to wipe it on Kala and disgusted she backed away.

“Don’t worry.  I’ll wash it off.” He told her. He walked towards the stream at the base of the mountain and cleaned off the sticky mess.

Kala was visibly shaken and she sat down.

“Can we just go home?” She pleaded. Jeff sighed and sat down beside her, gently patting her back.

“Yeah, we can go home if you want.”

They packed up their belongings for the long trek back, Jeff leading the way.

However, they could not remember how to get back to the trail and just ended up walking in circles around the mountain.

“Jeff, can you just look at the map?” Kala pleaded but she knew it was useless.

The map did not even include the mysterious mountain they had encountered and only went up to where the trail had ended.

“Oh shut-up!” He snapped.

Jeff began to push aside tree branches with increasing agitation. They crossed the stream yet another time and ended up on a barely visible path that some animal had carved with its feet.

“Here.” Jeff said triumphantly.

But half an hour later, the familiar clearing and unfortunate rabbit in the brush appeared. Jeff screamed in frustration and threw his bag on the ground. He beat it with his fists.

“Hey, it’s okay.” Kala lied.

Jeff turned on her red with rage, fists clenched. She back away frightened.

“Okay?!” He screeched like a wild dog, canines bared and spit flying. “We’re in the middle of nowhere!”

Jeff stumbled into the bush and disappeared for what seemed like an eternity.  Kala had never seen Jeff act so irrationally. When he returned, he was a lot calmer.

“I’m sorry.” He apologized. “I do not know what came over me...It was weird.”

“It’s okay.” She lied.

Chapter Eight: The Voice

Jeff and Kala were forced to stay yet another night. But, Kala could not sleep. She kept thinking about the rabbit’s terrified, beady eyes and Jeff’s sudden, irrational rage. She held her chest to her knees and breathed back and forth, afraid for what was to come. She sat for hours.

It was almost 1:00 am when she heard a voice. It was so faint she thought she had imagined it,  but then she heard it again. It was closer. It was the most beautiful yet eerie sound she had ever heard. It sounded like a purr that rose sharply to an unnatural baritone, locked between the demonic and the heavenly. She was tempted to wake Jeff but remembering how he had reacted earlier in the afternoon, she left him alone. She opened the tent flap.

Zip. Zip.

She stood outside. A cold wind blew at her hair, tangling its fingers around her strands. She felt her heart in her throat as she heard the voice again. It was too muddled to make out the words, but it sounded like it was saying, “away.”

“Hello?” She squeaked out feeling vulnerable and a bit stupid.

She heard cracking and looked behind her. Then she heard cracking in front of her. She turned that way. The same cracking echoed to the side of her. It was everywhere. The faint voice spoke again. It rasped over her ears like ice. It had no warmth.

“Hello?” She demanded louder. Then she clearly heard it. She could have imagined it. It could have been the wind. But no, it sounded like the lowest, evilest laugh she had ever heard. It was a cackle that only lasted a second, but in that second it drained all the blood from her face. She screamed and threw open the tent.

“Jeff! Wake up!”

Jeff stormed out of the tent and turned on the flashlight that he had secretly been keeping at his side, whipping it around like a cross.

“Who’s there!” He yelled. “I’m so done with this!”

The voice sounded again and Kala grabbed Jeff’s arm in terror.

“See? Somethings there!”

The chilling laugh sounded again, low and distorted. She heard drops and thought it was rain, but then realized it was thrown rocks.  Pebbles hit her chest and face. She cried out.

“Get inside!” Jeff ordered.

They climbed into the tent and huddled. The wind eventually died down, but they never did fall back asleep.

Chapter Nine: Hopeless

Jeff and Kala wasted no time the next day packing up and once again attempting to find their way back to the Olympia Parking lot. The effort was hopeless.

“You know what.” Jeff growled. “I think that Old Mom put a curse on us. She put all these dumb thoughts in your head and now we have totally lost it.”

“Old Mom did not do anything!” Kala retorted. “Remember what she said about the evil spirits in the forest-”

“Oh shut up!” Roared Jeff. “ There are no tribes of stick people! We just need to find our way home and stop believing in old coo-coo heads.”

“But, you heard the voice. Did you not?” She asked. Jeff did not respond for a while.

“It was just a deer.” He concluded.

“A deer? How could a deer laugh?”

“I do not know Kala! But it was not some evil forest spirit from the Sallalala Tribe or whatever the heck they're called. Do you know how nuts we sound?” He breathed deeply and rubbed his eyes.

“All I know is I am not going back to that mountain. Just stop talking to me.” He insisted. They trekked on in silence.

The ticking of the clock elapsed; nighttime was almost upon them. Kala had not told Jeff this, but every night her owl charm seemed to be getting redder and redder. She thought it was dirt but the color would not come off.

“This is a bad place.” She sighed.

Jeff had begun to ignore her completely and was wandering around aimlessly. They had found another clearing by a pond, but the mountain still towered too close for comfort. Jeff kept muttering to himself and flailing his arms around. It was like he was having a mental breakdown. Finally, he came back.

“We are making a fire tonight.” He declared. “I’m not sleeping in the dark and cold.”

Kala nodded but knew the real reason why; he was afraid. He broke some twigs.

Snap.

Snap.

“Ha, I’m breaking sticks.” He sneered. “I bet I could break those Stick Indians too. Aren't they made out of wood?”

“She did not say.” Kala said. “ I think they’re just skinny.”

Jeff laughed.

“They’re just not real.” He scorned. He took out a lighter and blazed the fire.

“Burn! You hear me!” He laughed.

A gust of wind blew over the fire for a moment and then ceased. Kala watched the sun set down, swallowed up by the darkness.

Chapter Ten: Taken

Kala woke up with a start, forgetting where she was for a moment. She remembered Jeff had wanted to sit outside and tend to the fire. She could still hear the crackling.  But, she had a dark feeling she could not shake. It settled like a noose around her throat, tightening with each passing minute. She opened the tent flap and almost fell back from a sudden slap of cold wind. When she pushed her way out of the tent, she found the fire unaccompanied.

“Jeff?” She said in shock. She could only hear the faint whistling of the wind. She looked around as far as the fire’s outstretched arms could reach. But, it was empty. The trees stood cold and ominous, together but alone.

She zipped up her coat and walked around the tiny clearing. Why would he just leave?

“Jeff?” She called out again. No answer. Getting more frantic she began to pace around, screaming his name.

“Jeff! Where are you? Jeff!”

The wind echoed his name.

The sun had risen and Jeff  was still gone. Kala was close to a nervous breakdown. The cold oatmeal she had eaten felt like a lump in her stomach. His stuff was still in the tent. He had left with nothing. Kala held her owl amlet and remembered Old Mom again. The owl was almost completely red now, except for its eyes.

She had to get out of here. She had to go home. She left her stuff and took off, running full speed. She had to go home. She had to go home. After hours of running she collapsed on the ground, screeching in agony. It was hopeless. She had never felt so abandoned. She hated this woods and wished she had never ventured into it. She was the stupid white tourist...and now she was going to die. She wanted to cry but no tears came. She felt empty. Everywhere she went the wind followed. She could not escape. She was trapped. She stood up.

“You are nothing! You hear me!” She yelled hysterically. “You are nothing!” The wind appeared to cackle, a whistling, roaring cry of glee.

Chapter Eleven: His Voice

It was around the same time she had looked for Jeff last night that she heard his voice. She had sat down in the middle of the woods, clutching her owl necklace and a flashlight. She knew she was signing her own death warrant but had given up. Immediately at the sound of his call she sprinted toward the sound, panting wildly.

“Jeff?” She called out.

No answer. The wind wrapped around her like a cold turnikit. She heard his voice again, except it sounded more frenzied and panicked.

“Jeff?” She ran around frantically but could not pinpoint the exact location of the sound.

It appeared to surround her everywhere. He called out again so loud it sounded like it was behind her. Shrieking, she spun around and was hit by the cold wind. Her flashlight confirmed nothing was there, at least not Jeff. Then what was it? The voice that was Jeff began to scream, so loud and blood-curdling that Kala began to sprint away. It picked up an unearthly notch and raked its nails across her ear. She joined the screaming and tore through the undergrowth, branches scratching at her face. The light from her flashlight jittered erratically like it was having a heart attack. The voice followed her everywhere, getting louder and louder and louder. Now she could hear other muffled voices and the same cackling laughter, burning into her soul. In a blind panic she slammed into a tree and fell, collapsing in a ditch. The wind relentlessly blew over her and knocked the breath out of her. She gagged and clutched her throat, gasping for air. The cackle dimmed down but continued to echo faintly in the distance, posing a future threat. She looked around for her flashlight and nearly regurgitated in terror. The flickering light illuminated a perfect shot between two gnarled trees, scratched by some frantic animal. A broken twig dug through the soil, a torn piece of cloth fluttering from its sharp end. But, as she looked closer and closer...she realized it was a torn piece of bloody flesh. She stifled her scream with her hand...watching the grotesque flag wave back and forth. The cackle started up louder again, but this time it was combined with a roar and a sign. Frogs started to croak all around her, birds chirped, wolves howled, raccoons screeched, and deer snorted. The animal noises sounded deranged and violent. The horrible crescendo mocked and taunted her from all angles, closing in around her. She got on her knees and held the charm, pleading softly as the voices suffocated her.

“Take me home. Take me home. Take me home!” She begged.

Suddenly, a beautiful sound cut through all the terrible noise like a welcome knife. It was an owl hoot. It tweeted gently and peacefully against the angry assailants. It beckoned to her. Kala bolted toward the owl, knowing it was her last hope. The owl continued to hoot and Kala followed it through the trees,  accompanied by the angry animal cries and laughter. Footsteps sounded behind her and Kala went faster, knowing she was being chased. Eventually, she ended up on a trail. Hopeful, she kept following her guide, it's reassuring coo holding back the demonic fleet. After a seemingly long and most certainly horrendous few minutes, with the footsteps, wind, and laughter beating at her back, her feet finally hit pavement. She stopped and looked up with relief; it was the parking lot! She almost yelled in triumph until she heard the laugh right beside her. She turned and stared into stone-cold, black eyes. Shocked, she stumbled and fell. The owner of the eyes laughed, a mere wisp of a shadow, blending into the darkness but exerting the full weight of its terror. She screamed as it came toward her, screeching wildly. She braced for impact...but felt none. Surprised, she slowly opened her eyes. It was gone, as if she had been mercifully shaken awake from a bad nightmare.  Gradually feeling her strength, she stood and looked up. The most beautiful sun had begun to creep over what was moments ago a hellish landscape. The sky turned orange and cool, burning out the moaning and painful darkness. The wind calmed down and died altogether with a final, defeated squeak. The golden light that followed lit up her face and her owl amlet. She heard a hoot and looked up towards the canopy of trees. A broad, gray owl met her gaze unflinchingly. She stepped back in shock. It let out a final hoot and took off into the sunset, the rays lighting up its feathers like a beacon. She was home! She was home. Nobody saw the silent tear Kala shed down her cheek.


© 2019 Nikki


Author's Note

Nikki
Comments on general story/thoughts :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

38 Views
Added on May 10, 2019
Last Updated on May 10, 2019
Tags: Horror, romance, suspense, legend

Author

Nikki
Nikki

AZ