untitled

untitled

A Story by 23rdstar
"

a girl arrives on the dancefloor

"
She stood on the dance floor alone for a moment doubting herself, that she was real. Her long dark hair fell about her shoulders like a casacde of shining black water over her pale shoulder, and down her back. A careless torrent of ringlets and curls. Her dress was gleaming ivory and silver as she stepped alone into the spotlight that blazed from somewhere above. It fit her slender form like a second skin, but still allowed her freedom of movement. It's bodice clung to her cupping her small breasts and between them shone a silver crescent moon on a dully glowing metal chain. The links of which seemed to have been woven from strands as fine as cobwebs. Her large dark eyes were made up so that they stood out even more strikingly amidst her already breathtaking features. Her nose was fine and straight, lips full and painted a scarlet so that her mouth was a small ripe fruit above the delicate mound of her chin.

The dress that she was wearing trailed behind her reaching past her ankles to the floor then flowing out in a train of ivory lace and gleaming satin. The ruffles of that train going on out behind her making her slow steady gate across the polished wood floor almost unearthly, as if she was a spirit. She touched her face with her hands which were clad in elbow length silken gloves of white silk which bore the sign of the sun and moon on the back of each hand. She craned her long neck and opened her scarlet painted lips slightly as her eyes came to focus as to where she was standing.

The great wooden dance floor was empty but for the light of the single spotlight which shown down on her from the lost heights. At the eastern edge of that massive empty and towering space was a railing of brass and steel. Beyond the slender curving railing lay the heavens themselves. They unflurled themselves fully beyond the seemingly fragile barrier. Nowhere to be seen through that vista lay any world or solid mass, just the gaping void of dark space. Therein among the velvet of the night the stars dwelt burning like bright bits of jewel that a wandering god had placed with the care of one who can only give but a single gift to mankind before traveling on his way. Sapphires, rubies, diamonds all there burning among patterns of brightly glowing gas.

She had no idea why she was here, why she wore the dress that clung to her like scales upon a sleek fish of the sea. It was I who had brought her here to this lost place among the heavens to admire her, even if it would only be for a little while.

I stood in the darkness cloaked and masked, misformed by the hands of whatever creator there could be among these worlds. My breath held so that she would not be able to even know that I was ever there watching her take in the grandure of the hall in which she slowly moved. She would forever be beyond my grasp. A gleaming jewel, a treasure beyond compare. Never mine to have truly but only to watch as she lived as a beautiful bird in the gleaming cage i'd created for the both of us.

© 2010 23rdstar


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
Added on August 18, 2010
Last Updated on August 18, 2010

Author

23rdstar
23rdstar

Phoenix, AZ



About
I am a lone freak using my keyboard as a gun to shoot down stars and ask them questions before they go back to the heavens. I serve them the best tea, and make sure that my shot has not wounded them o.. more..

Writing