Why Can't We Have Sunflowers?

Why Can't We Have Sunflowers?

A Story by Eau
"

2:00 pm mad ramblings

"


I was sitting in my marketing class, spanning the blurry line of sleep and awake, where I was jolted by a comment my professor had made about the importance of competent and meticulous research for life insurance companies. "If they under calculate and do not accurately predict the death rate of their customers, they lose money." She said. How twisted it was, it occurred to me, that we as a society exploit one of the most natural things that can happen to a person, death. It sickened me. It was then I spent the remainder of the class in between wakefulness and sleep, however this time the line was not blurry, it was sharply distinct. I dreamt of a world that could have been.  A new possibility stood erect in my mind of what we could have created with the life we were given. In the place of tall buildings would be tall sunflowers and small circular eco-homes. A world where in lieu of money  we had graciousness and compassion, where we all farmed or created art or built great things and cared for one and other. Technology? Of course, we would thrive with it. However, instead of genetically modified carrots, we would travel by plane with no fuel or waste. we wound not be bound by the limitations possessions possessed us with. At young ages we would be taught comparative world religions, how to live in harmony and the importance of meditation. We would  be given the resources to sharpen our consciousness, to become better connected to oneself, others, and mother earth. We would be primitive, yet highly advanced. and we would flourish in that beautiful anomaly. This was the world I dreamt of and I knew that this dream would seem unfeasible and childish to most people. I could hear them saying " Yes, that is a  lovely dream, but it will only exist in the movies. Humans could not sustain life like that. We need money. Its time to wake up and get serious about your future now. The world will not change." And for the first time, all I could think was WHY, why not. and meant it with such velocity that it left me restless.

© 2015 Eau


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like it :) Even though our ideas of utopian worlds might not totally agree, I was still drawn into the one you had created, and I enjoyed being there. The title is probably my favourite part.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
1 Review
Added on March 30, 2015
Last Updated on March 30, 2015

Author

Eau
Eau

Bangkok, Thailand



About
Red headed green tea enthusiast and cat lover. Sometimes putting words on to paper makes me feel less crazy more..