Between Earth and Sky

Between Earth and Sky

A Story by Michan
"

A figure atop a broken structure stood, perched silently between the earth and the sky, undeniably human in structure while soundly inhuman in spirit.

"

   Thunder echoed over the vast expanse of desert. The dead earth was shrouded in complete darkness as the heavy clouds rolled over the moon. Lightning momentarily lit up the sky, revealing the lifeless shell of dusty buildings in a fallen city. As the clouds split in the rushing wind, the dazzling halo of light materialized, shedding a radiant glow over the desolate terrain. A figure atop a broken structure stood, perched silently between the earth and the sky, undeniably human in structure while soundly inhuman in spirit.

    A single drop fell from the sweeping heavens, the essence of a tear filled with despair. Then a second, and then a third. The tears kept cascading onto the dusty sod. Drops of similar nature streamed down the figure's cheeks as raised his head to the sky, allowing the downpour to wash away the blood that stained his hands.

    The clouds continued to divide, revealing the remains of the figure's fallen brethren scattered across the silt, blemishing the dark brown dust with red. Their wings were broken and shattered, their eyes still wide with fear.

    The figure stood helplessly atop the broken structure, between the earth and the sky, and the part of him that was once human no longer was. His dark wings spread open, completely ashen and spotted with scarlet. He had once been undeniably human in spirit, but now he was broken.

     An avalanche of debris fell from the fragile building.  A resounding echo of metal and rock bounced between collapsed constructs. The figure stood lifeless atop the structure, slowly leaning forward before he followed, plunging toward the damp soil. Pale feathers floated down effortlessly, joining the rain in its journey toward the barren earth.

© 2012 Michan


Author's Note

Michan
First post on here. I wrote this about two years ago and it is a prologue for a story I was writing with some friends. The story fell a bit flat, but I still consider this prologue one of my better literary moments. I hope you like it. I will be adding more recent works soon. Feel free to give me criticism or feedback, though, especially if there are spelling mistakes or anything that doesn't make sense.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
Added on March 20, 2012
Last Updated on March 20, 2012
Tags: fallen, battle, rain, death, supernatural

Author

Michan
Michan

About
I may not be a professional writer, but I love writing. However, I feel like I have much room for improvement. By joining this site, I hope to make friends, improve my writing and storytelling skill, .. more..