The Alliance of Registered Governments

The Alliance of Registered Governments

A Story by David Kennedy
"

The history of the Alliance of Registered Governments, Argos. The most powerful and pervasive coalition in all of the Solar System, perhaps all of the Milky Way.

"

The Alliance of Registered Governments; the worlds greatest agreement between peoples to govern, and preserve the lands given to them.  In the far future of Earth and its human inhabitants, there are few lands left. 

Argos did not rise from the ashes of  past nations, it did not spontaneously resurrect from  the misguided civilizations of its history . It evolved, slowly and painfully, from a time of great turbulence and conflict. It was an agonizingly long birth, fraught with complications from the very beginning.  But by its inception, Argos had garnered complete control over the entire globe and beyond.

It began in the tragedies of the 22nd century, as the warming of the Earth was reaching a critical point.   The growing threat of desertification had begun to take hold in the early twenty-tens and the worlds scientists were at a loss. Environmental refugees poured into northern climates by the millions, hundreds of starving immigrants who were desperate to escape the desolation of their home countries. Over the prevailing century the numbers refugees from stricken nations had been slowly building, but now it had come to an apex. The Death of Earth had begun.

The Earth's core spins down

Even up to the evaporation of the Mediterranean Sea, the cause of the desertification was a source of controversy. Was it the result of heavy industry? Was it a chain reaction created by the success of toxic bacteria? Was it an inevitable result of the slow expansion of the sun itself? 

Scientists from many nations argued bitterly with one another, desperate to find a solution to the chaos. Though many attempts were made, countries and communities refused to band together long enough to truly address the root problems.

 the Earths metallic core had begun to spin down.

Over the course of several centuries the cooling process had slowly been gaining momentum, the magnetic field weakening inch by inch. Nations argued and accused each other of creating weaknesses in the ozone layer, or polluting the atmosphere with smothering carbon, only to be shocked when their countermeasures failed to stop the warming. In fact, the warming was gaining momentum as decades passed.

As the magnetic field began to ebb away, the solar winds began to slowly evaporate the waters of Earth; temperatures began to skyrocket. The cloud layer began to thicken, slowly smothering the earth in the suffocating heat.

Middle-eastern refugees were slowly evacuated to the coasts from the scorching cities. Many broke through the heavy defenses of Europe and Russia, desperate to invade their northern neighbours to escape the sweltering heat. Australians fled to the coasts or to New Zealand, slowly changing that humid wilderness into a city island, dense with starving populations.

Africans fled south to invade the coasts, or battled each other in fierce combat for dwindling resources. Latin-Americans fled north and south to avoid terrific storms and flooding, and Western Americans fled to Canada or the east coast. Even Chinese immigrants managed to evade their countries strict movement laws, and fled to Siberia where the desolation was lessened.

The disaster did not occur quickly, but at a bitterly slow pace over the course of a century and a half. The oceans began to recede, the polar ice caps turned into tropical rain forests and desperate humans swarmed these new lands in search of cooler climates. In many cases, despite the chaos and animosity, humankind adapted well to the desertification. Desert farms were constructed that efficiently used water resources, solar farms built by automated drone constructors, who used the barren lands for power generation. Volcanoes were artificially erupted and cloud seeders were deployed to add a layer of protection against the sun.

But the core was not becoming hot again, and the problem only worsened, decade by decade. The wet places were drying up at an alarming rate, and it would be barely two centuries before there were no more habitable places left on Earth. It would not be long before the growing scarcity of resources would spark a world-wide conflict.

© 2017 David Kennedy


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
Added on March 11, 2017
Last Updated on March 11, 2017
Tags: article, history, circumspector, fiction. information, science

Author

David Kennedy
David Kennedy

Ottawa, Canada



About
Short stories, fantasy, science fiction, anything is my thing. A writer with an eclectic collection of stories on display. feel free to delve into any of the stories that take your fancy and message m.. more..

Writing
Cognition Cognition

A Chapter by David Kennedy


Cognition Cognition

A Chapter by David Kennedy