The Light the Darkness and the Might of Men

The Light the Darkness and the Might of Men

A Story by Andrew
"

An allegorical short story. Started as a social media post in response to the current sociopolitical climate and the response of mankind to seek out hope for the future within ourselves.

"
The Light, the Darkness and the Might of Men:


At the brink of time and the break of dawn, the sky was full with the light of hope. It stretched from east to west, north to south and far beyond. The horizon shined with the radiant colors of morning and hope stood tall. All was right and all was good.

But all that is good, is not all that was. In defiance against the light, a shadow grew beneath the trees. A lie, a choice, a whisper through the garden loosed the hold of hope and lead mankind to find hope within himself. The word of the darkness and the willingness of man to claim it, was just enough to move the sun toward the horizon, slowly descending across the heart of mankind. What was once so sure now fades, ever so slowly, into the night. With each passing day, the light grew ever more dim, and the shadows grew ever more strong.

Ages passed. Kings and kingdoms rose and fell under the fading star. Nations grasped at the setting light in hope that their end would not be in lost to the prevailing darkness. For generations upon generations, the hands and hearts of desperate men had fought to save their dying hope.

Every victory claimed by the might of men was met with a crushing blow from the shadows. With each battle lost, the might of the shadows and the might of men became more and more difficult to discern. In their despair, many resigned their struggle and gave their will unto the very shadows they once fought to overcome.

The deceit of the darkness was sweet to the ear and praised the might of men. By lovely and lofty lies, many were convinced that hope could not be found in the light. Others still, had believed the lies of the darkness, but not in a hope of their own. So they sought another source of light, one that would not fail them. But all other lights were as shade compared to the Light of Hope. So the heart of man deceived itself unto it's own ruin, away from hope and further into the deapths of the shadow.

Even those who held firm to the light, began to place hope in themselves, struggling in shallow certainty to raise a divine salvation from the ranks of lofty men. With blind sincerity, they sought the greatest, the strongest and the wisest. But no elected power had the might to halt the light of day from it's decent into the horizon. Some sought power with promises to restore the light, some with promises to bring hope without the light, and some even claimed, themselves to be the light. But the hope of men and their might, would always fail.

Like water from the palms of kings, the sun fell into the heart of the dust, disregarding the grasp of meager men. To the final breath, the might of men had plead, strained and even bargained with the shadows that, if the sun may fall, perhaps a greater and more certain hope may be found in man and his might. But every beat of man’s self-preserving heart was in vain.

At the end of every great effort, the light of hope was torn away as a tempest steals a rope from the hands of a sailor. The world fell silent as the final slit of light was swallowed by the night. The warm embrace of hope gave way to bitter cold and the darkness proclaimed it's wretched victory.

In proud silence, the night passed unto the hour of dawn. The sky was cold, but a glimmer of what felt like hope remained as the people awaited the morning's return. But there was no sunrise. The light of morning, once so sure to rise again, had succumbed to eternal rest.

The darkness laughed and shook its fist as the best laid hopes of human hearts were laid waste upon the barren fields. Every endeavor of man to restore the light had become a candle in a whirlwind; hopeless to endure in its futility.

"Who now can save us?" The people cried out in despair. The will of man and the strength of his power had fallen as a drop into the inferno, swallowed up and utterly forgotten.

The reign of night, now full and sure had cast, not only all things, but all hearts into silent surrender to the merciless rule of shade and shadow. Darkness leaned back upon the sky as a victorious traitor upon a bloodied throne to marvel at it's own greatness and indisputable rule. The sky was cold, hope was dead and every heart was crushed under the certainty of endless night.

The night drew on through infinite blackness. The eyes of men forgot the light of day and even the softest heart forgot the warmth of hope. Assured of irrefutable victory, the darkness reclined against the empty sky and slumbered.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What seemed an eternity had passed until, from deep in the expanse of night came a whisper. It awakened the people and shook the shadows. The darkness rose and leaned forward to survey it's kingdom, searching to find which pitiful, insolent soul would dare even speak. But all were silent.

With arrogance, the darkness reclined again, but for a moment. Then from the depths of blackness came the faintest glow of the faintest flame flickering upon the eastern sky.

"The sun?" The shadows whispered to themselves, trembling in uncertainty. "The sun is dead, I set it myself!" The darkness boomed... And with that proclamation, the light in the sky was no more. The darkness smiled as the flicker was snuffed without a struggle.

The heart of men dared not wish to find a light within the blackness, so all were still, but all were watching.

Silence...

Then through the deadness of the night, the air began to move. The leaves of the trees danced as though life itself was blowing past them. A gentle breeze became a steady breath, then a rushing wind. The darkness leapt from its throne and began to shudder in fear and fury. The earth began to shake, but not the earth alone. The air, the sky and the heavens roared with the sound of a thousand raging waters.

Stillness, complete and utter stillness followed… But for the blink of an eye.

Then out of the eastern sky and across the west and over all that can be seen, exploded a Light unmatched by a thousand suns. In the beat of a heart, the world was covered, consumed and filled with limitless radiance.

The people arose, hands over their faces, and peered to see from where the Light was coming, or to where the darkness had gone. But the Light was full. The Light was from above, below, before and behind and the darkness had been utterly swallowed as a vapor in the heart of a thousand stars. In a moment the reign of darkness was overcome and the glowing hope of a fading sun that once was held so dear, was forgotten in the brilliance of the eternal Light as it reclaimed the throne across the sky.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The light of the first morning was a gift to mankind. The lies of the darkness and the pride of mankind had rendered the people unworthy of hopes Light. The sun could have utterly abandoned the hearts of men and resigned them to the darkness at the hour that faith moved from the hope of Light to the might of men. But the sun had chosen to set upon a cruel horizon, that it may return in fullness to vanquish the shadows and reign with a hope eternal.

The darkness would ever struggle against the light and the might of men would never prevail. The strongest, the wisest and even the brightest among men could not have hoped to stand against the shadows. But hope came down when no man could reach it, and light was given when the strength of man was fully surrendered.

The might of men had failed. The darkness, but for a moment, had prevailed. But the Light of Hope forever will reign. The Light of Hope was... The Light of Hope is... and the Light of Hope is to come.

© 2016 Andrew


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
Added on September 4, 2016
Last Updated on September 4, 2016
Tags: Fiction, Allegory, Literary Fiction, Christianity, Faith, Hope, Light, Darkness

Author

Andrew
Andrew

Writing
Keys Keys

A Story by Andrew