Regada Festival

Regada Festival

A Story by Scarlet_Raindrops
"

An article for sdmags contest

"

     Regada Festival is a festival of water. This event is a mix of environmental, religious, and cultural activities in Cavite. It is a week-long celebration starting on the second week of June and ends on June 24, the Feast Day of St. John the Baptist. The term ‘regada’ was derived from the Spanish word ‘regar’ which means ‘to water’ or ‘to sprinkle’.

 

     The festival started in 1996 during the tenure of Mayor Tim Encarnacion. Lately, it has an on-the-spot water-color painting contest, known as “Kulay at Tubig”, participated by pupils from different schools in Cavite. The annual event will not be finished without the “Linis Bayan…Linis Dalampasigan” held at June 22. This event also features native games dubbed as “Mga Palaro sa Dagat”.

 

     Regada Festival is the biggest water festival in the country because it covers a kilometer along P. Burgos Avenue. People fill this avenue to take part in the “Basayawan sa Kalye”. The participants will interpret the meaning of the water festival through their colorful costumes and magnificent body movements. They will dance to the music provided by the huge sound systems installed at the length of P. Burgos Avenue, making it the biggest wet party on the road.

 

     The climax of this festival is the “Caracol ni San Juan Bautista” about 11 o’clock am where the image of St. John the Baptist is embarked on a parade. It will be brought to the Paulan to bless the people and to praise their patron saint.

 

     This event is special to me for the reason that it reminds me of how Christ was baptized. It gives me the message that water can renew us, spiritually, mentally and physically. We can always change ourselves and be Christ-like in many ways. It also reminds me of the fact that water is life. Water quenches our thirst and rids us of daily grime and even revitalizes our mind. In this event, the significance of water as a spiritual quencher is celebrated. It is a perfect occasion to thank the patron saint and at the same time, have fun. People unite, cooperate and show camaraderie as they bond with each other and explore their spirituality through the wonders of water.

 

     Therefore, the next time you go to Cavite prepare to get drenched! Show your creative side by joining the “Kulay at Tubig” and dance to the beat with the participants of “Basayawan sa Kalye”. A wet and wild celebration awaits you. Immerse yourself with the jovial mood of the Caviteños; take part in the fun Regada Festival!

Photo by D. Sharon Pruitt (www.flickr.com)

Photo by D. Sharon Pruitt (www.flickr.com)

 

Submitted by: Victoria C. Uy
Grade 6-F Prudence, Statefields School Inc.
Coach/Teacher: Ms. Raiza Dizon

© 2012 Scarlet_Raindrops


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

448 Views
Added on March 26, 2012
Last Updated on March 26, 2012
Tags: Regada, Regada Festival, Philippines

Author

Scarlet_Raindrops
Scarlet_Raindrops

Cavite, IV-A CALABARZON, Philippines



About
- Class President of Section I-C Sun Yat Sen (SSI). - Most outstanding member of Arts and Letters Club two consecutive times. - Member of SSI Linkage - Knows Filipino, English, and Japanese - Love.. more..

Writing