Love....

Love....

A Story by AShukla

It’s my engagement day and I am looking beautiful, the mirror told me. But still not satisfied, I wanted to look more beautiful, the most beautiful bride. I wanted to dazzle my fiancé and the guests with my beauty, my jewellery, my one of kind lehnga, my everything. The stylist had kept the jewellery to the minimum, I frowned seeing myself. I am the daughter of Mr Malhotra of Malhotra Group, so minimalistic jewellery won’t do. I need more dazzle, more diamonds.



‘Pass me that jewellery Bittu.’ I asked my younger sister, as I kept on analysing myself in the mirror.


‘Here.’ She almost threw the jewellery box at me. This girl is always throwing tantrums.


‘Di .. how can you leave Mohit and marry some random guy?’ she asked me grumpily.


I turned away from her and frowned. What’s wrong with this girl? Why can’t she be happy for me? Always cribbing about my choices.


‘How many times are we going to talk about it? I am tired of explaining it to you…’ I replied. ‘God I am tired of this conversation. It is my engagement day, just let me be happy.’


‘Di…but Mohit is your true love or was it all fake?’ she persisted.


‘Mohit WAS my true love..but there are other things important in life than love. ‘ I replied


‘Like???’ she asked again.


‘Like the wishes of mom-dad, society, Mohit’s job, the lifestyle we have, the society we live in, our status in our friends' circle. All this matter. You are young, so idealistic, but you would realize all this in a few years. One needs to be practical in life.’


‘Bullshit..’


‘Language…’ I reprimanded her.


‘Chuck the language..I am not satisfied with your decision of arranged marriage.’


‘No issues..but I am happy.’ I said, twirling in front of the mirror, admiring my gold and pink lehenga and diamond jewellery. Perks of getting engaged in a traditional ceremony.


‘Sonia, why aren’t you ready yet? Everyone has come…come the mahurat for engagement will pass soon.’ Mom shouted from outside the door.


‘Mom I am ready..just last minute touch-ups.’ I responded.


‘Okay..’ she replied from outside only, not even bothering to open the door. Everyone must have arrived, hence the urgency.


‘Bittu can you hold my dupatta from the back.. it's too heavy for me to manage.’ I asked my sister as I was going out of the room. The heavy lehnga and high heels were not at all comfortable to walk in.


‘Who asked you to go for the traditional ceremony? Should have eloped with Mohit. ..no jhanjhat. Just get married in shorts…’ she muttered but I heard her.


‘Shut up..’ she was spoiling my happy mood.


‘I am going to do the same…’ she said.


‘Do whatever you want..but don’t keep shouting about Mohit. Someone might hear. ‘ I was stern this time. This was getting too much and if someone accidentally heard what she was saying then the engagement will surely go down the drain. But this juvenile girl did not understand anything. All she can think about is stupid love.


‘Okay okay.’


‘And don’t spoil my special day by your grumpiness.’ I warned her.


‘Okay.’ She said, but somehow I was not able to believe her. I just hoped she stayed quiet and didn’t spoil my special day.


She left me alone after that. Didn’t even come to get the pictures clicked with me and my fiancé. Good. Seeing her reminded me of the things she said, and I didn’t want to spoil my mood.


My engagement ceremony was beautiful. All relatives and friends from both sides were present. Everyone was happy and enjoying. After all, it was Malhotra’s and Sethi’s party. Both well-known business family. Money was no constraint, so everything one could think of was there in the party.

Soon the engagement party was over. Everyone went back. We too were back at our home.


‘The engagement went well.’ Dad said.


‘Yes..the Sethis were very happy with the arrangement.’ Mom responded.  


‘Kyon nahi honge. Are we Malhotras behind them, in anything?’ Dad asked smugly.


‘True. Let's Look at all the gifts given.’ Mom changed the topic.


‘Yes.’ I chipped in excitedly. I was eager to see all my gifts.


Bittu kept sitting in the corner sofa, fiddling with her mobile.


‘Wow!!!.’ Mom exclaimed seeing the first gift, my in-laws have given. It was a beautiful diamond studded set. The shine caught Bittu’s eyes. She looked towards us but kept sitting in her corner.


‘Look at this.’Mom opened another one. It was more gorgeous than the first one. Beautiful rubies and emerald glittered back at us between exquisite gold filigree work.


I couldn’t fight the temptation and wore the necklace.


‘Beautiful.’ even Bittu couldn’t keep quiet seeing it.


One by one we opened all the presents from my in-laws and other relatives. Most of it was jewellery only and some have given travel packages as well. Looked as if after marriage I would be travelling only availing all those holiday trips.


‘Ohh s**t..’ suddenly Bittu’s exclamation caught our attention.


‘Bittu..’ my father thundered.


‘Sorry dad but look at it..’ Bittu extended the card sort of thing towards my dad.


I got scared seeing the card. Couldn’t remember who gave it. Is it some card from Mohit? Dad would flip out. He had asked me strictly to break all contacts with Mohit. Hope Bittu didn’t try to play cupid and helped Mohit in his shenanigans.


I waited in trepidation as my father read the card. His face broke into a smile.


‘See Rashmi.’ he handed the card to my mom.


‘What is it?’ I asked timidly.


‘It’s a freaking house in London.’ Bittu said.


‘What??’ I almost shouted.


‘Yes.’ Dad replied.


‘But who gave it?’ I asked.


‘Ohh it is given by elder Mrs Sethi to her grandson and his wife.’ Mom said.


‘Seriously?’ I still wasn’t sure.


‘Yes…’ Bittu said.


‘Oh my god…’ I was more relieved from it not being any letter from Mohit or happy for the house, couldn’t decide.


‘That’s very sweet of her…’ I said.


‘Arrey he is her only grandson. Everything is his only. This is just a small gift.’ Mom said.


‘True…And moreover, he is mostly in London only for his business. So makes sense to now have his separate home with Sonia.’ Dad too chipped in, rationalizing the gift.


I sat there dreaming about my life after marriage. Vacationing in all those places and living in London. Future life looked beautiful.


‘Dad..’ Bittu timid voice came. I got angry hearing her voice. Now what, this girl will never stop. She will not rest until she gets my engagement cancelled.


‘Yes…’ Dad asked her.


‘I think even I wouldn’t mind going for an arranged marriage.’ She said.

© 2020 AShukla


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

8 Views
Added on July 8, 2020
Last Updated on July 8, 2020
Tags: love, short story, marriage

Author

AShukla
AShukla

India



About
An avid reader turned writer.... Love for reading turned to love for writing. Now I am a freelance content writer who loves to write about travel, lifestyle, parenting, social issues and sometimes sh.. more..