The Man on the Curb

The Man on the Curb

A Story by 𝓢𝓱𝓸𝓻𝓽𝓗𝓪𝔁𝓨𝓣
"

A young man has a short encounter with a Holocaust survivor

"

There was an old man on the street corner selling toys for a charity. He had a benign but firm manner. The wrinkles on his face were in stark contrast to the torn down building behind him. The juxtaposition of these two images was eerie. He looked as if he was narcoleptic ; his eyes having a far-way look in them. He told me of a genocide long ago with concentration camps and gas chambers. But, I was half-listening. In all honesty, he was just another one of those “patriots” who now old and worn had no one to talk to so they talked to themselves. I gave a cheeky smile and began to walk towards my home. The last words of the man struck me as I was walking home “Bread, soup - these were my whole life.. Perhaps less than that even: a starved stomach. The stomach alone was the only thing that made me aware of the passage of time.” As I rushed back to the curb I remembered my favorite author’s words “To forget the Holocaust is to kill twice.” However, he was long gone. 

© 2019 𝓢𝓱𝓸𝓻𝓽𝓗𝓪𝔁𝓨𝓣


Author's Note

𝓢𝓱𝓸𝓻𝓽𝓗𝓪𝔁𝓨𝓣
How descriptive is the text in your opinion?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

16 Views
Added on December 24, 2019
Last Updated on December 24, 2019
Tags: holocaust, history, old man

Author

𝓢𝓱𝓸𝓻𝓽𝓗𝓪𝔁𝓨𝓣
𝓢𝓱𝓸𝓻𝓽𝓗𝓪𝔁𝓨𝓣

Toronto, Ontario, Canada



About
My name is Aadil Four words to describe me are dogmatic, adamant, intellectual, and hasty My family members are my two parents A few of my favorite sports and games are badminton, tennis, and swimm.. more..