melancholy is the stranger in the corner of the room

melancholy is the stranger in the corner of the room

A Poem by kimpetersen13kp
"

a prose poem narrating a protagonist's longing for more as a nihilist

"

Vogue magazines. Marlboro cigarette boxes. Keepsakes. Common-place journals and never completing a thought. Feeling exhausted by existing and simultaneously desiring more than just this. The vision of a goddess nesting in the golden heavens. Black leather boots and mournful winter mornings. I don’t want to get up from my bed. My fortress is calling. Barricade the doors. Melancholy is the stranger in the corner of the room. She takes her coffee with a dash of childhood nostalgia and never wanting to let go of me. I am resentful of the broad smiling faces in the pictures. Optimistic nihilism. I look forward to tomorrow, but the children are all dressed in black. It’s the day of the funeral. Devil’s bargain. Gold coins for the gods and selfish worship. I want… I want. I need. There are so many things I need. I’m famished of my pleasures. I hunger. To have and to hold. I am without possessions. Things. These things. Of what use will they be to me when I go to so see my father? But I want them. Aren’t they pretty? I am a hedonist. Filthy beast always wanting and wanting and feeling like I am lacking from wanting.  Torn magazine paper. Strewn cigarette remains. Lost things in keeping. Wrecked journals and only living long enough to ask the questions. Existing. Desiring more. A golden goddess in the golden heavens. Melancholy is the stranger in the room. And nihilism is the battery acid taste of copper coins in my greedy mouth.

© 2024 kimpetersen13kp


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

49 Views
Added on February 15, 2024
Last Updated on February 15, 2024
Tags: nihilism, poetry, prose, hedonism, art, culture, girlhood, womanhood, mythology

Author

kimpetersen13kp
kimpetersen13kp

cape town, South Africa



About
Kim Petersen Visit My Digital Printable Shop: https://payhip.com/b/7WNn0 Buy me a coffee: https://ko-fi.com/kimpetersen13kp Wattpad & Instagram: kimpetersen13kp more..

Writing