we are young and everything is of no consequence

we are young and everything is of no consequence

A Poem by kimpetersen13kp

And I'm afraid it's just the human condition. That we are all here on this Earth together. Secretly we are all introverts with high social skills who are wonderful at playing the clown when the moment calls for a good laugh and everyone's spirits are low. We were the only ones who remembered to do the homework but didn't do it because it meant we got to lament with the rest of the class about the inherent problem with the education system in our country.
The CBD is blistering and we wonder why none of us decided to become environmentalists and how useless a degree in communications sounds on our CVS but we are young and, really, everything is of no consequence. Isn't it?
We buy overpriced coffee and it's okay because we get our stipend from the government. We're too young to care about the price of petrol and the cost of living in Cape Town. The city is aristocratic and rich with trivial history we browse in pamphlets we are given at the start of our tour. The lighting in the museum is dark and suggests this is a place of limited access and I think shouldn't it be free to enter. Perhaps we should have aspired to become socialists instead. We are told things about our town that we have no idea has happened and I am disgusted by my indifference to it all.
The woman leading the tour is long and looks like me, round nose and deep black eyes like sunflower seeds. She tells us that the museum is older than most of us and that we should have respect for the pieces on display. That they are of major importance.
Aren't we all? I think then. That we are all so very important but the only thing we really have in common is that none of us really matter. Not at all. When they call a diamond or a display in a museum priceless that, really it's priceless and its value is interpreted. To say that a book bought at a shop is just a book but a book bought and written in by some scared figure is a memoir and should be preserved. But that, in the end, wasn't it all just a book to begin with? What if it had ended up in the hands of one of us?
The museum walls are tall and stately. Almost reaching toward the heavens. And I think about how I'd really like to be at home now. That, truly, I am an introvert whose social battery has depleted and I'm in love with the atmosphere of this whole place. But it's too much for me now. I'd really like to go home.
I'd really like to go back home. But, then again, aren't we all stuck on this Earth together?

© 2024 kimpetersen13kp


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

52 Views
Added on March 19, 2024
Last Updated on March 19, 2024

Author

kimpetersen13kp
kimpetersen13kp

cape town, South Africa



About
Kim Petersen Visit My Digital Printable Shop: https://payhip.com/b/7WNn0 Buy me a coffee: https://ko-fi.com/kimpetersen13kp Wattpad & Instagram: kimpetersen13kp more..

Writing