Omagh Fairies

Omagh Fairies

A Story by Abishai100
"

An unusual fairy-tale set in Omagh (Northern Ireland) featuring a certain modern 'omen' about taking dolls for granted!

"
An enchanting Irish folk-tale inspired very loosely by The Secret of Roan Inish. Enjoy (and stay safe!), 
----
====

A fashion-designer at Dartmouth (USA) was making Eastern saree designs for women and studying the crosses between Indian and Irish designs/colors.



He liked dolls and started comparing Indian and Irish dolls and figurines and decided to make a trip to Northern Ireland.



This man, Amlan Satan, studied Indian/Irish politics and the crosses between anticolonial resistance against British rule.



Amlan decided to travel to Omagh, Northern Ireland, where a nice Catholic-majority population resided in an otherwise 'nation' dominated demographically by a British-Protestant ruling majority-class/population, descended from English colonial settlers. Amlan became a nerdist of Omagh life during this journey!



AMLAN: I'll take an Aer Lingus flight from New York to Dublin (Ireland) and then a train into Belfast and bus into Omagh.



Once in Omagh, Amlan Satan discovered a small art-store which contained various folk-cartoons works depicting the longstanding sectarian 'troubles' between Irish-Catholics and British-Protestants in Northern Ireland after the partition of mainland Catholic Ireland.



Before Amlan became a fashion-designer/teacher at Dartmouth (USA), he'd won the Pulitzer for his book Becoming Guerrilla in a Kingdom and decided this trip to Omagh (Northern Ireland) would enrich his imagination about culture exposure.



AMLAN: Omagh is breath-taking, and its autumn colors truly leave nothing to be desired for the artist/traveler!



Amlan attended an Omagh autumn Irish-festival and told the good folks of Northern Ireland about his education of political paradigms between Ireland and India regarding anticolonial struggles against British-Protestant rule in the 20th Century and earlier. The festival had awakened his sense of vitality and the idea of safe culture-exchange in this 20th-anniversary commemoration year of 9/11.



AMLAN: The people of Omagh, mostly Irish-Catholic, are beautiful and love music and spirits; I'll write about this someday.



Amlan decided to take a sojourn into the Omagh forest with a set of color-pencils to make drawings and sketches of heroines and fairies, inspired by his exposure to the myths and spirits of the good folks of Omagh, Northern Ireland in 2021.



AMLAN: I'll make child-like sketches of magical heroines rescuing odd men trapped in civilization masks of insanity!



The Omagh forest in Northern Ireland offered Amlan Satan a miraculous view of the timeless 'charm' of natural beauty and eco-conservationism.



Then, one night, during a campfire sketch-drawing session, Amlan Satan was shocked to realized that he was being visited by the specters of multiple magical 'fairies' (small winged humanoids with messages about immortality and humility). The first fairy was a black fairy named Eran.



ERAN: I shall tell you of the tribulations of the Irish people of Northern Ireland, and their struggle for money and sovereignty.



JOLIET (Green Fairy)L I shall whisper to you about the potency of liberty-philosophy and how Northern Irish dream of ale.



SAMMY (Red Fairy): I shall tell you of the blood-lost in the country of Northern Ireland and how sectarian violence is bad!



WINTY (White Fairy): I'll tell you of the daydreams of freedom shared by the folks of Northern Ireland, their hope for ale!



When Amlan returned to civilization, running out of that 'haunted' Omagh forest, he started reading about the long history of Irish-Catholic resistance to British dominions in Northern Ireland and how armed-resistance involved terrible folk-tales about enduring the true darkness of constant survival fears and money worries.



AMLAN: When I return to Dartmouth, I'll write a comprehensive work on the nature of Belfast bedlam and bedtime stories.



Amlan stopped at a special restaurant in Omagh, Northern Ireland. There he met a beautiful Irish waitress named Shelbye.



AMLAN: I've dreamed I've met you somewhere before...somehow!
SHELBYE: The red-hair often charms the foreigner-traveler with drunken spirits, good man.
AMLAN: No, no; I'm certain I've encountered you before in some kind of strange vision, my fair lady.
SHELBYE: I'm a simple Irish girl; I've lived in Omagh all my life, and it's where I'll be buried someday!
AMLAN: I know that; I'm just so fascinated by your certain charm or aura, beautiful person.
SHELBYE: Alright, stranger; I'll get you a tasty sandwich with ale to soothe your tummy (and mind).
AMLAN: Oh; thanks so much, truly.
SHELBYE: You're a real...diary-man.



AMLAN: This is the tastiest sandwich I've ever had I think; and I think, me thinks, those fairy-visions transformed me.



When Amlan returned to Dartmouth (USA), he was in a school-theater performance in which he portrayed an Algerian pirate named Scruffs who told people of the real myth of Omagh fairies in the forest who reminded humanity that nothing should (or could) be taken for granted as 'simple' fortune...or diaries.



ERAN (Black Fairy): We changed/transformed Amlan Satan...for the better...and the artworld will be better for it, me thinks.



"The ice-hockey bank-robbers from Boston were Catholic in spirit...and guerrilla by fate, unfortunately" (Amlan Satan).

====
"Money is everything" (Ecclesiastes)

© 2021 Abishai100


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

22 Views
Added on September 17, 2021
Last Updated on September 17, 2021
Tags: Fable

Author

Abishai100
Abishai100

NJ



About
Student/Minister; Hobbies: Comic Books, Culinary Arts, Music; Religion: Catholic; Education: Dartmouth College more..

Writing