The Scarf

The Scarf

A Story by Abishai100
"

A married-couple in America recounts a momentous event on Super Bowl Sunday 'drawing' a 'human' life 'chess' wisdom.

"
A tale of supermarket courtesy yielding a married-life wisdom, inspired very loosely by Serendipity (John Cusack). 
----
====

Amlan Satan was at the Supermarket on Super Bowl Sunday to pick up a quick box of microwaveable wings for the big Eagles-Chiefs game and wanted to invite/host his buddies who'd been traveling to his New England apartment to watch the game with him all the way from Princeton. However, this was a day that a strange sideshow would color his social-media posts about the serendipity of the consumerism/media culture and draw out a different brand of Super Bowl weekend optimism in the United Sates. It was snowing that morning (Sunday) when Satan walked into the super-store and was wearing his warm winter-muffler/scarf. He began to shop when he noticed a beautiful woman slightly shaking in coldness after having run into the store from the cold outdoors (ha).



SATAN: I noticed the young woman, of my junior in years, perhaps just out of college, and I'd just completed my grad-studies and had been working as a Bostonian schoolteacher and was older than she, obviously, but she caught my attention/eye and I wondered if I'd be gallant enough to make her feel cozier/warmer with a winter-apparel gift gesture and offered her my winter-muffler (scarf) and thought about what I might email her or post on her profile-page on social-media after the Eagles would win the Super Bowl and I'd share the cheers with my buddies (wow).



SHEILA: He was so kind and gallant to offer me his winter-scarf, which I really appreciated, and though I had a winter-hat in mind to purchase inside WalMart that Super Bowl Sunday of snow and horrid coldness which sunk into my female bones, I knew I needed a scarf too but didn't want to purchase both a winter-hat and a scarf at the store that morning, and when this 'prince' offered me his very very warm neck-muffler, it simply made my outdoor-return a breezy comfort, and it restored my sense of gusto and happiness; I knew then that I'd met my future husband (haha).



SATAN: I made you this batch of chess-men shaped/molded butter-cake cookies, Shelia.
SHEILA: Do you remember 2 years ago, before we got married, when we met at the cold Super Bowl weekend super-market?
SATAN: Of course I do; it's how we met...I gave you something...a 'gift' that day, right (you'd felt really cold or something).
SHEILA: Mittens?
SATAN: Was it mittens...did I buy you very warm mittens for your shivering 'bony' hands, Sheila my love?
SHEILA: Oh man, you forgot...it was your 'magical' winter-muffler (scarf) which made my outdoor-return a breezy-comfort.
SATAN: Oh, yes, that very fuzzy scarf (my mom gave me for my b-day); the Eagles won the Super Bowl that day, Shelia.
SHEILA: That's what you remember, Amlan...the Eagles triumph (not the scarf?).
SATAN: Well, yeah...but I'll make-it up to you right-here/now...with these chess-cake cookies, Sheila my love.
SHEILA: How's that the cure to your amnesia, Satan.
SATAN: You know why...I love chess; it's like half-my-brain; I'm the President of the New Porcellian; I'm cheering it with you.
SHEILA: You can make it better...but how?
SATAN: Alright...I'll download/purchase the Cold-War chess-film Pawn Sacrifice (Ed Zwick) on Netflix to buffer this failure.
SHEILA: Now that's a 'tasty' ellipse (good, dear).



"It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages" (Friedrich Nietzsche).

====
"Money is everything" (Ecclesiastes)

© 2023 Abishai100


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

35 Views
Added on February 3, 2023
Last Updated on February 3, 2023
Tags: Fable, Modern

Author

Abishai100
Abishai100

NJ



About
Student/Minister; Hobbies: Comic Books, Culinary Arts, Music; Religion: Catholic; Education: Dartmouth College more..

Writing