The Remembering

The Remembering

A Story by YoungAspriringWriter
"

A horror in a non-horror setting

"

The corridor was long, thin and dark. A solitary tube light at the end flickered nervously as if it had no desire to reveal what was hiding in the darkness. James walked forward and passed a door on his right. He tried the handle but it was locked. Suddenly a loud, prolonged shriek sounded from ahead. He walked more quickly trying each door as he passed but all were locked. The shriek was answered by another shrill wail closer this time. James had been walking for a few minutes now but seemed no nearer the end of the corridor. Just then he heard a deafening cry, “Jaaaames, Nooooooo!!” It was a warning but the voice was one that was all too familiar. “Anna, I’m coming” James shouted back as he started to run as fast as he could. Suddenly he found himself at the end of the corridor and the words dripping in blood red on the wall ached into his eyes. “And children shall rise up against their parents, And shall cause them to be put to death”. He backed away, staggered and fell.

 

James awoke with a start ready to attack an unseen enemy. He was sweating and breathing heavily. James never used to dream but now he was haunted by this recurring nightmare. He glanced to his left where Anna used to sleep but the space was empty, as it had been for the past few months. From the corner of the room a baby cried.

© 2013 YoungAspriringWriter


Author's Note

YoungAspriringWriter
Hope you enjoy. Let me know what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
Added on December 9, 2013
Last Updated on December 9, 2013
Tags: Dark, nightmare, Parent, Death, Scream

Author

YoungAspriringWriter
YoungAspriringWriter

Nairobi, Kenya



About
I have a very eclectic taste in music, books and film. I love dark characters and try to bring this to my stories, even though it often ends up being dark comedy more..

Writing