Cat Tales #6: The Early Days

Cat Tales #6: The Early Days

A Story by Adam Greenfield
"

Stella describes her initial arrival and a little more. Originally posted 8/07.

"

 

August 22nd, 2007 A.D.C.
 
Entry #6: The Early Days
 
In one of my previous entries, I mentioned another human, Beautiful. I liked her a lot. She and I got along very well, which was good because Alo and Two Legs are damn near attached at the hip. She needed me. And from what I was told, I was an anniversary gift from Two Legs to Beautiful. The first name I was given when I first met Two Legs was Annie, short for anniversary. Here’s the story.
 
The first thing I was shown when I first got here was where the litter box is. It’s a good thing, too, ‘cause I really had to pee. I sniffed around, got a good idea of what it smelled like in order to remember where to go when I had to go, if you know what I mean. I made my mark, did what any hygiene conscious feline would do and covered it up. Now that that was out of the way, it was time to explore the room the litter box was in.
 
I walked around a bit, sniffed out my new environment, and it just barely met my standards. I decided to deal with that later. At that point, it was all about just figuring out where the hell I was. After a little bit of looking around, I said to Two Legs, “Please tell me there’s more.” He obliged.
 
He picked me up with one hand, which was about the size of me at the time anyway, so I felt safe, and carried me into another larger room. This one, which I eventually realized was where Two Legs and Beautiful slept, had things to jump on and play on so I really liked this room so far. I found a nice, relaxing spot under a dresser and curled up, though still remained on full alert. Two Legs stayed in the room with me, mostly, but sometimes he would get up and leave the room. I could hear him talking to something but I didn’t know what. It didn’t speak human speak and sounded quite like a language of my own. I had a feeling I was going to come across this eventually. I was right. But first, I meet the next human.
 
While Two Legs and I were hanging out in the room, I was told that I was a surprise to someone that I was going to love. He said he did and I could tell he meant it. It was the way he said it. I’d say cute but that word is best suited for felines, not humans. Two Legs left the room and a few minutes later, came back with another human, Beautiful. She didn’t know why Two Legs brought her in the room because I was still under the dresser and she couldn’t see me. That was on purpose. I wanted the build up to my beauty felt. I then got my cue.
 
“Annie, come out,” I heard Two Legs call out. So I did. Beautiful’s eyes lit up and wet stuff starting dropping out of them. She hugged Two Legs then bent down to me. She put her hand out, I sniffed and inspected it, and she smelled alright to me, so I put my head under her hand. Beautiful and I sat there for a few minutes getting to know each other, then Two Legs left the room and left her and I in there alone. It didn’t take long for me to realize I just might have a really good thing going here.
 
Here, though, is where I meet perhaps one of my favorite creatures in this very strange world I’m in. That’s right, Alo. He’s my big brother and super cool. I know he prefers Two Legs over me but that’s ok. I don’t mind. I still prefer Alo over anyone else. Besides, he understands me, you know? So anyway. I’m just lying there getting some attention and in walks this big, fluffy white thing that looks like me… but doesn’t. I mean, he’s walking on four legs and he, too, has that thing that keeps following him-
 
(Poster’s Note: I think she means a tail)
 
-but he’s all white and I’m all black and he’s huge and I’m not. He warily crept up to me, trying to catch my scent, so I asked him what his name is and he hissed at me. I told him that’s a funny name, then all hell broke loose. He started batting at me with his paw, and even connecting a few times. He was letting me know that he runs the roost around these parts. I was trying to tell him he can have the damn place just stop hitting me so he eventually did and backed away. Two Legs and Beautiful just stood back and let him do that, too. If they were trying to make a point, point taken, for Cat’s sake.
 
I was then given free reign to explore the rest of my new home. It’s a good size. Alo and I have a good amount of place to run around and play in, which we take full advantage of.
 
(Poster’s Note: I just wish it weren’t at two in the morning)
 
There was a little bit of time where Alo and I didn’t get along but he eventually accepted the fact that I was here and wasn’t going anywhere. He also let Two Legs and Beautiful know that he wasn’t happy by ignoring them. That, too, was eventually given up on. Now, we get along great. I mean, I know I still annoy him but those few times are on purpose. I just like getting him all worked up. It’s funny.
 
(Poster’s Note: Again, here’s to wishing it weren’t at two in the morning)
 
As for Beautiful, she’s gone now. I don’t know where she went. I know all the stuff that smells like her is gone and right after she left Two Legs spent a lot of time in bed and dropping wet stuff from his eyes, too. I certainly miss her and I know Two Legs does but he’s smiling a lot more lately and it’s good to see. I’m pretty sure Alo misses her but he’s a hard one to gauge sometimes. Right now, it’s just the three of us. Two cats and a human. We decided to keep the human.
 
Your quote: “Poets generally love cats because poets have no delusions about their own superiority.” – Marion Garretty

© 2008 Adam Greenfield


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

256 Views
Added on March 8, 2008

Author

Adam Greenfield
Adam Greenfield

San Diego, CA



About
I have the strangest desire at all times to take words and manipulate them to make you see what I see. Create your own visitor map! more..

Writing