Anguish

Anguish

A Story by Aerautic
"

memoiric recall of childhood emotional struggle

"

I was in grade school when I fearfully realized there was something wrong and it was going to make my life insufferable if I couldn’t figure out how to escape it. I was doubled over in the seat of a school bus, hiding my face in my arms between my knees. A sensible part of me thought to just let go, stop what I was doing, come up for cool fresh air, to dry my face and bravely bear it to the world again; but I continued to hold it down in that small humid space to the sound of my own weeping, there was a stubbornness to my lonesome. 

I was behaving as if I was trying to hide from my fellow classmates, and a part of me truly was (it’s not like I wanted to be noticed for having a breakdown), but there was an emotional contradiction going on because I did feel that I got, in part at least, what I wanted when I finally heard them take notice “What’s wrong with him? Why’s he doing that?”. Then the issue painfully revealed itself when in an alarming and time-stopping moment I next heard someone amongst them say “He’s just doing it for attention”, because deep down I knew that person was right, and I hated it.

How unfair, not only did I feel insignificant, but it was insignificant that I felt insignificant. And I knew it would be, that’s why I tried to hide having a breakdown in the first place. I was called out anyway, I hated

That remark had the effect on me of refracting my ordeal into a perceived confection of injustices.

I couldn’t tell what upset me more, the fact that he was right, or the fact that he was right about. I was embarrassed not only because I could be called out like that, but also because of what I was called out about. I was at angst with how unfair it all seemed. When the oppressive perception that one doesn’t fit in suddenly hits you, you don’t want to make things worse by causing a scene onto yourself with your own embarrassing emotional breakdown, so you try to go to into hiding; but in the event that someone bothers to take notice of either your struggle or your attempt to hide from it, all that comes of it is a remark that makes pathetic the triviality of both your struggle and what your struggling with.

 

© 2021 Aerautic


Author's Note

Aerautic
Work in progress

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

28 Views
Added on August 7, 2021
Last Updated on August 7, 2021
Tags: psychological, emotion, struggle, depression, introspection

Author

Aerautic
Aerautic

Writing
a situation a situation

A Story by Aerautic


Let go Let go

A Poem by Aerautic