My Legacy

My Legacy

A Story by AGHANTI

The chants echo throughout the arena; their voice is in one accord. They are thirsty …they call out for blood- My blood.


A bloodied mass of my former self lies on the muddy floor which has been demarcated specifically for this event- My execution.


I slowly peep through the veil of mud, blood and sweat that has cloaked my face at the creature responsible for my present misfortune. It stands over me and thunders in an unfamiliar tongue stirring the crowd with the audacity of its monstrosity.


Tears flow freely down her face.


She stares at me in horror as she clutches our son. He is moping at me wide eyed and sucking his thumb like he always does when he is nervous. She shouldn't have brought him here. If she thought their presence could appeal to my reason, she was wrong - My mind is already made up.


The abomination makes its way towards me. I breathe slowly as I try to remember why I sacrificed the warmth of her breast, the joy of her kiss, the love of my son... then it comes back with blinding conviction.


My family’s legacy passed on from generations. How could a people turn against their King? I spit out blood mingled with saliva and slowly rise to my feet with a grin on what is left of my face.


The sacrifice was worth it. I love my family and we shall rise again. The atrocity opens its belly as has become its customary final act. The crowd roars as it prepares to take its final strike.


I close my eyes and embrace my destiny.

© 2014 AGHANTI


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A powerful piece, I want more information, some background, but this is very interesting. I noted a few grammar and spelling errors, minor, but it would be worth editing this.

Posted 9 Years Ago


AGHANTI

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your kind words and observations. I intend it to be a series, so there will be.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
1 Review
Added on September 3, 2014
Last Updated on September 5, 2014

Author

AGHANTI
AGHANTI

Abuja, Nigeria



Writing
STALKER STALKER

A Story by AGHANTI


MY CORE MY CORE

A Poem by AGHANTI