AVATAR, I guess?

AVATAR, I guess?

A Story by AkaGong
"

This is just a story I wrote because I got bored and I love the world of Avatar; The Last Air Bender after the Legend of Korra started.

"

AVATAR,

I guess.


1


Liam had worked hard on the project he had started a few years back. The first car his village would see. The first time there non benders could get around without having to walk. He began to forge the handle for the door. Being the only metal bender where he lived meant he had to fix a lot of things that no one else could handle. He never really had time to work on his project because of this. He sat for a minute blankly staring at the handle on the desk in front of him.

“stumped again?” a girls voice from behind him said. He raised his hand as a greeting and a way to say yes. “you know its been a while since you've worked on that thing.” he didn't respond back. “Maybe we could finally take that trip to Republic city we've always dreamed of.” she opened the ice box that was in the garage he was working in and pulled out two frosty drinks. She walked over to the desk he was working at and dropped one of the drinks in front of his handle. He looked over at her. She was fifteen now. Very tall and lanky for her age. She wore mostly black except for the green stripes going down the side of her pants and blouse, as was custom for most earth benders. He sighed and hung his head defeated by the hands of the project before him. He grabbed the drink and pulled the sealed paper tab and took a sip nodding towards his sister as a thanks. She smiled back.

“But seriously, we should go to Republic City. You could learn some things and we could get back and help so much more people. Even Aunty said it was a good idea, and she hates when we even go to Siyang to get better parts and that's just the village over. C'mon bro, you've always wanted to go.” He looked at the picture above them on the ceiling of a worn Republic City poster. He looked over at the half finished automobile. And looked at her with an uneasy face.

“c'mon it maybe takes three months,you can get what you want for the car. Come back and BAM! We get the car done, we move Republic for good and get a ton of money and live the high life.” he raised a curious eyebrow to his sister. “okay maybe I'm jumping to far but c'mon big bro it'll be awesome, plus” she pulled out a pendant from her pocket. “we may even find out about...” he pulled an identical one looking longingly at it. It was a half of a small green pendant with a picture of his father in it, his sisters had there mother.

“shes right you know.” an elderly woman's voice came from the opening of the garage. “its a big place in Republic, with a lot of people. They may just know where they are.”

“see I told you Aunty is on board with the idea.” She hoped off the table she was sitting on and hopped over to their 'Aunty'. They called her that because she wouldn't except that, but she said that after all she done for them that their mom owed her like a sister. His sister threw her arm around her aunts shoulder and give him a smile. He looked at both of them and frowned throw in his hand up in a shooing motion and returning to the problem at hand.

“I know your scared to just leave us here Liam, but were all gonna be okay here, and I also have some friends head out that way too. I told them to reserve two passes to the trolley t hat will bring you to the city.” she walked over to the desk and placed the tickets next to him and looked up into his eyes. He looked down with his cold brown eyes staring into her blue iris. They sat the for a moment silent before he sighed and lifted a small smile, knowing her could never say know to her, he grabbed the tickets and gave her a hug. She rapped her arms around his waist before his sister ran over and joined in with a loud “umph”. “You and Ling will have a grand time out there I know it. Just don't forget about your promise to us little folks out here.” They all backed up and sat in family awkwardness for a second

“Now me and the Chows set up a dinner for tonight and your invited.” He pointed at the part he was working on. “No buts young mister. Now you too get cleaned up and come over as soon as you can to help me prepare for tonight.” He looked down at what he was wearing to see how dirty he was, not realizing the giant mess of oil and sweat that had soaked through the sleeveless shirt he was wearing. Not to mention the grime that had built up on his overalls. He probably would have kept the shirt safe if he wore the overalls the “right way” as his Aunty all ways complained but he hated the straps so he always let them hang off the sides of his pants. “looks sharp tonight, and cover up those “paintings” of yours. She had always hated the tattoos that were given to him.

“i call first bath” ling called out and ran up the stairs in the garage that led to the little upstairs apartment they had. He sat on the dilapidated bench that was pinned up against the back wall. He looked up staring at the picture of Republic city and the statue of Ang the stood guard in front of it. He poured back the rest of the drink he was given “Bro I cant turn the faucet, you broke it again!” His sister yelled from the apartment wall. He turned his hand and arm in a jerking motion to turn the faucet. He heard his sister yipe as the water started. He smiled and leaned back as he waited to get ready for the night.


2

He pulled the sleeves of his arms, looping the knots that tied the side of his shirt. He didn't like the green color although it was darker than his sisters. He looked in the mirror making sure that he looked halfway decent, his hair was messy but he always just threw it back. Lee had cut it and made the side super short but the top still was long, he said it was a new thing and that ladies would crawl all over him. He didn't care but he did think it was nice looking, he grabbed the end that feel over his face and threw them back. He heard a knock at his door, “c'mon bro its time to go.” his sister ran down the stairs. He got off of his cot sitting in the corner and slipped on his shoes.

“what took you so long?” his aunt joked as he walked into her house. The table had been set and he didn't see his sister anywhere. He had a bewildered look on his face. His aunt saw this and smiled. “i sent her over to get the chows, and I didn't need any help but I wanted to spend time with you before you and your sister before you two left.” she poured some vegetables into the pot on the stove. He walked int o the kitchen. He ran his hand across the counter and looked at the pillow that he always sat at. Same pillow never moved even after he had moved out. He walked over to where she was cooking and grabbed a tea pot and started it. His aunt looked over and nudged him pulling some herb out her coat pocket, it was wrapped in bamboo and rope. He knew this was the good stuff. “smell it.” she said excited. He unwrapped it taking in all the smells of the plants. His eyes widened and he grew a big grin. “ I knew you would love it.” she said “but...” his grin quickly disappeared. He knew she only bought the good stuff when had something important to tell him. “I need you to promise me something. Republic City is a big place and they have a lot to offer. A lot of people and money and opportunities. There are huge buildings and lots of things. They have metal benders like you. I hear they automobiles as far as the eye can see and...” she sighed, “what I'm trying to say is be smart keep your wits, and if you have a better opportunity. Please, please Liam, take it. For you and for Ling. We will be okay back here.” she looked up at him looking for some recognition. He opened his mouth to say something as the door flew open, “I'm back!” he heard his sister yell from the entrance. “and I brought they chows. He smiled at his Aunty and nodded. Giving her a quick hug before going to great the chows.

Lee was one of his best friends, and he couldn't wait to show him the tickets. He saw lee walk in with a sulky attitude about him. He greeted the parents and Lings friend Niu, Lees sister. HE waited till they walked to the table before grabbing Lees shoulder. He stopped keeping his head down, “its true isn't it. You got tickets to go to the big city. That your just gonna leave.” Liam pulled his arm back and grabbed his own arm. “so your just gonna leave then.” he snickered, “and your not gonna promise me any souvenir,” Lee popped his head up with a big smile. Liam's face lit up and grabbed Lee in an embrace and spun him around. Liam was a lot stockier than Lee, not that Lee had any stock to begin with. “So let me see them!” Liam slowly reached into the opening in his shirt pretending to look around before pulling out two tickets for the trolley into the city. “Wow! These are so cool!” he said as he grabbed one and looked it over thoroughly. “These are so legitimate looking. So when do you and barley a bender head out?” he made sure to put an emphasis on barley a bender. Everyone knew that Liam was an above average earth bender but his sister was not so much. She started to huff and puff about it before Niu calmed here down. Liam pointed at the date on the ticket and where they needed to be for the trolley to pick them up. “but that would mean you leave tomorrow.” lee looked up with a sad face. Liam put his hand back on his shoulder. Lee sighed “i guess we all cant stay in hickville forever. Well lets see what Ms. Kimi is cooking, or can I call her 'Aunty' yet.”

After a few hours of talking they all gathered around the table and sat for dinner. Liam happily drank the tea that Aunty gave him, He also enjoyed her cooking a lot. He was gonna miss that for the next few months. The chows were a nice family for the most part, but he couldn't help but wonder what Lee was gonna do without him. Lee would always go to him with his newest art projects, or if he had a great idea. Lee was mostly to himself otherwise, so he was wondering if he was gonna be okay with out him. Liam looked down at the tattoos he had. Everyone said they were a bad omen, but Liam didn't mind in the slightest, it reminded him of good times. “we need to do one tonight.” Lee said noticing that Liam was looking at them.

“He has enough of them already” Mrs. chow said from across the table. “Maybe he would enjoy not getting prodded with a needle as his going away gift?” but before she could even finish Liam was point at spots on his arm and Lee was taking the bits of his soup do draw designs on his skin. “you really think they're ready?” Mrs. Chow said leaning over to Liam's aunt so no one could hear her.

“they're surprising more adapt than you give them credit for. I know they will be fine. Besides I have an old friends daughter going with them. Speaking of which!” she sat more upright. “Ling make sure you and you're brother are packed and ready to go at the crack of dawn. Someone is meeting you two here before you all head out.

“wait what? I though me and bro were going by ourselves?' Ling said, some what disappointed that It wasn't a family road trip anymore.

“yes I l know. I forgot to tell you, but you didn't think I send you and your brother out there alone did you? Your barley old enough to take care of yourself and your brother is just barley mature enough to be considered an adult.” Aunty leaned forward carefully drinking her tea. “Besides shes an old friends daughter of mine. A water tribe girl; and if shes anything like her mother, then she'll be very gorgeous. You might even come back with a kid Liam.” she smiled across the table at him. He grimaced and rolled his eyes. He wasn't looking for anyone to way him down. Besides if he did settle down it would be after ling was on her own and able to do things by herself.

“We can worry about those things in the morning. Lets just enjoy ourselves right now. I mean this will be your last meal with your family for a while. Enjoy the night.” Aunty said.

The rest of the night went smoothly. Everyone enjoyed themselves, having remember all the times ling and Niu had caused mischief to the neighbors and playing pranks on lee and Liam. The time that Liam had helped Lee from a wild crocdapus. How lee gave him his first tattoo and how he had burned it into Liam on accident, not realizing the ink he was using wasn't meant for skin. They had all moved to the living room where they played games and the adults drank the night away. Soon after night had fallen, ling helped lee and Niu bring their parents home, both of the parents being slightly tipsy and not able to walk straight, while Liam helped his Aunty to bed. He walked down the stairs he had know so well as a kid passing his hands along the wall whistling a tune he would sing as a kid. He walked through the kitchen making sure all the candles and lanterns were out. Remember the moments were Ling and him learned how to cook by watching his Aunty. He moved through the other rooms blowing out all of the fires. He finally made it to the living room and sighed. All of the memories of it flooded him at once. All good and all gave him hope that he would have a place like this to his own. He tried to soak as much of that feeling in as he could know that Republic City may not have anything like this place. He blew out the last candle and made his way to his house.


``````````

Liam quickly shuffled for his shoes after packing and changing his night clothes. He knew that he had too get that one last memento from Lee before he left. He slowly creeped through their small living room, making sure not to step on the usual cracks that would wake his sister. He finally made it outside and down the stairs, making sure to jump the last step that always made a funny noise. He knew that didn't have that much time before sunrise. He had to make it lee's house one more time before he headed out to republic city. It might be the last time he sees him for for a while. He pedaled as fast as he could on the small bike he had. He was not ready to leave this city. He clutched the necklace he had and looked down at it. He knew he must go. He hoped that someone in republic city had answers.

He propped up the door to the garage slowly and carefully. He was hoping the Lee's parents wouldn't find them. They didn't mind him there, but finding him this late before he leaves in the morning would get him in trouble. Lees garage was a clutter of paint and miss mash of different artwork he made or collected through the years. It was quaint to Liam, even though it was extremely messy. Maybe seeing it get this way through the years was what made it homey to him. He closed the door to see lee sitting sophistical in his chair looking at Liam with a raised eyebrow. “well...well....well. Look who finally shows up. Only took you half the night.” he got up from his chair and reached for a book on the shelf. “Sit.” he pointed to a chair with no back. Liam sat down holding a small bag in his hand. “So, I have a few options for your next piece of the most amazing art that will ever hit Republic City.” Liam raised a skeptical eyebrow. “What? Oh! So your telling me that there not gonna see the art and BEG you to tell them who made it. Hell, ill be there right after you making the best art in republic city. “ Liam's face didn't make a single change. “You'll see.”

He placed a book down with an image of a flower. “This is what I've been researching. Apparently from what I can find there is a group called the white lotus. This is there symbol. They were a group that helped Ang and Fire Lord Zuko when the fire nation tried to take over....everything?” He nodded. “Everything. They were even around before then too, but their super mysterious. Rumor has it that there still around.” he arched his hands over his head and turned to his table to ready his supplies. “i was gonna give you options, but I changed my mind that's what you getting. And when you leave I'm put one on my hand. Then we will always be able to find each other when I make it to Republic City.” for minute lee sat there tinkering with a needle a and paint getting ready to do his 'art'.

“Whats in the package? You been holding on to it since you got here.” Liam looked at it and pushed the parcel into Lee's arm. “Oh? For me. You should have done this way earlier.” He grabbed the package behind under his arm without looking away from his work. “Thank you~.”


© 2017 AkaGong


Author's Note

AkaGong
Thank you for taking the time to read this. I just put this here because a friend asked me to. This is story that may never be updated or finished. If you hate it, good let me know. Throw the f-bombs and hate me for writing, but all that I ask is to tell me why the story is bad. I just want to improve and if I just see hate with no actual criticism then I know that your just hating to hate. If you love it tell me that too. Also tell me where I F'd up at and what i can fix. Again thanks for reading and i hope that you've enjoyed this writing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

92 Views
Added on February 26, 2017
Last Updated on February 26, 2017
Tags: Fanfic?, Legend of Korra, avatar, action, adventure

Author

AkaGong
AkaGong

Columbus, OH



About
I"m just some guy honestly. Most people say I'm depressing, or ignore me. I don't care about it to much. I usually just go home and write or play video games to distract me from the real life. I start.. more..