LANGUAGE

LANGUAGE

A Poem by Akinlolu
"

Just trying to ponder the effects of Free Speech and how language is losing its power and meaning.

"
We're riding metaphorical vehicles
with poetic licence

conversing with lyrical
weavers imbued with omnipotence.

A battalion of words and a storm of syllables
sell for a penny, and torrents of speech for a pence.

Goodwill is fragmented by the cynical
on streets paved with stone and enclosed with a wooden fence.

Expletives from the hypocritical
are cheap in Hollywood,
spewed like venom from a mamba's fang.

They're messing with words like they're mystical,
growing in their crimes like viper's broods
and misusing free speech like shots from Magnums peddled by a swastika gang.

They're masticating words while pretending it's hypothetical;
swallowing reality like food.
and turning sensible language into nothing but voodoo and a big bang.

© 2023 Akinlolu


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hi Akinlolu, I appreciated your poem very much! I'm rather new to this site and a few people here already know that I like to jump deep inside the poetry of those that visit and share here. So, let's break this poem down and analyze its themes, structure, and language:

Themes: The poem confronts themes of communication, power, and social critique. It discusses the power of words, the corruption of language and communication for ulterior motives, and the cynicism and hypocrisy that plague society. It portrays words as a powerful tool, yet highlights their misuse and the dilution of their meaning.

Structure and Rhythm: The poem follows a free verse structure, without strict adherence to a particular metrical pattern. It maintains a semi-consistent rhyme scheme that adds a lyrical quality, allowing the weighty subjects to be expressed in a rhythmical and flowing manner.

Language and Metaphor: The poem utilizes strong metaphors and similes, comparing language misuse to venomous snakes and violent acts. This comparison suggests that corruption of language can be as dangerous as physical violence, disrupting society's cohesion. The phrase "metaphorical vehicles" implies that language transports ideas and thoughts, while the misuse of words is symbolized as "masticating words."

Imagery: The poem paints vivid pictures through phrases such as "a storm of syllables," "swallowed reality like food," and "shots from Magnums peddled by a swastika gang." This powerful imagery emphasizes the destructive impact of language misuse.

Social and Political Critique: The poem criticizes those who manipulate language for self-serving purposes, especially hinting at those in Hollywood and possibly political arenas. It mentions "free speech" being misused and reality being manipulated, hinting at propaganda or media manipulation.

Sensory Language: The poem uses sensory language to create a tangible atmosphere. Terms like "mamba's fang," "viper's broods," and "big bang" engage the reader's senses and imagination, making the poem more vivid and engaging.

Symbolism: The poet uses words and phrases as symbols. "Mamba's fang" symbolizes deadly deception, while "Magnums peddled by a swastika gang" symbolizes violent extremism. These symbols further amplify the depth of the poem and the strength of its critique.

In summary, this poem is a strong social critique on the misuse of language, aiming to awaken readers to the dangers of manipulated communication. It merges powerful imagery, rich metaphors, and sensory language to express these heavy themes in an engaging and thought-provoking manner.

This is a great addition to the world's volume of poetry! Bravo!

Posted 11 Months Ago


Akinlolu

11 Months Ago

My very sober opinion. It's the reason I always mind my language. I believe that those whose words c.. read more
E.P. Robles

11 Months Ago

You are blessed.
Akinlolu

11 Months Ago

Amen to that brother

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

96 Views
1 Review
Added on June 8, 2023
Last Updated on June 8, 2023

Author

Akinlolu
Akinlolu

Lagos, South west Nigeria, Nigeria



About
Akinlolu will not consider himself the best of writers until he becomes a hundred years old. In the meantime he strives towards becoming the best by continually writing poetic descriptions and critici.. more..

Writing
PA PA

A Poem by Akinlolu