I AM TIME

I AM TIME

A Poem by Akinlolu

Be still my friend
as you stand before my gate,
and feel the strength
Of a tide that won't abate.

I'm no William Wordsworth,
but I've been called a Wordsmith for all it's worth.
Tennyson is not my name
and I'm no native from Tennessee but from there I learned to play my game.

Archangel Michael was there at the Ziggurat of Babel.
Even then, they called me a wizard with words in the days Abel.
I hunted T-Rexes for lunch and
declined lizards for brunch.
It was the age of dinosaurs.
I witnessed first-hand the extinction of Minotaurs.

I saw the rise of August Caeser and
the fall of Cleopatra.
I lived as a friend of Simon Peter
On the island of Petra.
I led a coalition of Greeks in defiance of Xerxes
and launched the Spartans in combat against the Persians with the help of sphinxes.

I am time. I conquered tyrants and witnessed the decline of nations.
I was there when the sun stood still for Joshua and stopped its western motion.
I am the irresistible and the almighty.
I am the incorruptible, I have no boundary.
Mountains bow before me as I watch
and
Rivers change their courses as I watch.

I powered the ship of Christopher Columbus
and invited myself aboard.
I led the assault on Mount Olympus,
and supervised the fall of the gods.
I plunged their city into extinction
and sent the Titans into destruction.

I smashed Vesuvius into crumbs
and reduced Odin's wand into a stump.
I peopled Africa with Negroes,
festooned Asgard with rainbows.
I equipped Thor with his hammer
and supervised the fall of Himmler.

I am time and I never need to boast.
All that man does will soon crumble into ruins
But I'll still be around when the last man becomes a ghost,
and I'll be the end of all that man is doing.

© 2023 Akinlolu


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews


As a Poet I would analyze this poem as follows:

The poem "Be still my friend" carries a sense of timelessness and grandiosity, invoking themes of power, history, and the transcendence of human existence.

The poet presents themselves as a figure beyond mortal limitations, intertwining elements of myth, history, and personal experiences.

The opening lines convey a sense of invitation and anticipation, urging the reader to stand before the poet's gate and feel the unrelenting strength of an unstoppable tide.

This evokes a sense of awe and mystery, as if the poet possesses a force that cannot be restrained.

The poet then establishes their identity as a "Wordsmith," someone skilled with words and likened to renowned poets like William Wordsworth and Alfred Tennyson.

They also mention learning their craft in Tennessee, adding a personal touch to their journey as a wordsmith.

The poem takes a leap through time and space, mentioning the Ziggurat of Babel, the age of dinosaurs, and significant historical figures like August Caesar and Cleopatra.

These references create a sense of vastness and ancient wisdom, suggesting that the poet has witnessed and participated in pivotal events throughout history.

The mention of leading a Greek coalition against Xerxes and employing sphinxes in battle adds an element of mythical warfare and heroism. This further emphasizes the poet's transcendent nature,

as they appear to have been present during mythological conflicts.

The poet continues to assert their dominance over time and natural forces, claiming to have powered Christopher Columbus' ship, caused the extinction of gods on Mount Olympus, and controlled volcanic eruptions.

These assertions convey a godlike power, as the poet shapes and manipulates the world around them.

Towards the end of the poem, the poet highlights their omnipresence and eternal nature. They claim to be present when the last man becomes a ghost, suggesting that they will outlast all human endeavors and be the ultimate end of existence.

In analyzing this poem through the lens of a psychoanalyst, the concept of the poet as a timeless figure with godlike qualities reflects the archetype of the collective unconscious.

The poet taps into universal symbols and archetypes, merging personal experiences with mythological and historical references. This blending of individual and collective elements may signify a connection to the depths of the human psyche and a profound understanding of the human condition.

Overall, "Be still my friend" presents a complex portrayal of the poet as a transcendent being, intertwining elements of mythology, history, and personal experiences.

The poem conveys a sense of awe and power while exploring themes of time, human existence, and the enduring nature of the poetic imagination.

Posted 10 Months Ago


Akinlolu

10 Months Ago

Thanks for comprehensive and enlightening review, Robles.
In a way, time is a poet.
recording all that was , is and will be.
I like your line about supervising the fall of the gods.
And those T-Rexes...the meat must have been really tough.
Love this...wonderful allusions all the way through.
j.

Posted 11 Months Ago


Akinlolu

11 Months Ago

Thanks for your review. I never thought T-rexes would be tough to chew. Just felt fantastic to imagi.. read more
An entertaining read. Packed full of historical names through the centuries. People come and people go, but time marches on forever. Thank you Akinlolu . Pleased I stopped by today. All the best.

Chris

Posted 11 Months Ago


Akinlolu

11 Months Ago

Thanks for passing by, Chris. I appreciate it.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

91 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 9, 2023
Last Updated on June 9, 2023

Author

Akinlolu
Akinlolu

Lagos, South west Nigeria, Nigeria



About
Akinlolu will not consider himself the best of writers until he becomes a hundred years old. In the meantime he strives towards becoming the best by continually writing poetic descriptions and critici.. more..

Writing
PA PA

A Poem by Akinlolu