From Hippocampus to Hypothalamus

From Hippocampus to Hypothalamus

A Story by Alena
"

An extremely metaphorical (and somewhat incomprehensible) take on how it looks and feels in the brain (my brain) and on the question of who we are.

"

A new girl was born. She looked at herself in the mirror “who am I?” she thought. She had light curly hair, short but combed, dense red lips and big green eyes with a sample of grey to it. Her room looked very tidy, very small, but a bit empty. There wasn’t much in this room. So, she decided to leave it and look outside. The world was much more adventurous outside.

  When she stepped out her room, she noticed she there is no house in which the room could be in in the first place. Instead, a huge meadow surrounded her and only a tiny bunker-like hill with the door she just opened and still held in her grip. But the smell of dandelions and lilac incited her to lose this grip and walk further.

  It, she was so happy from the shining sun and summer breeze she lost the track of herself, she started running in an attempt to repay the playfulness to the wind and it didn’t take long until she came to the end of this big yellow grassy hill. Underneath she was a witness of an incredible phenomenon. Somehow, something started rising out of a plain dull ground as her heart started to beat louder! One sound wave, second soundwave, the girl could hear a thrilling music blasting from somewhere unknown yet centred on this dull plain ground. As the music rose so did the moving ground…

  Suddenly a huge slope break through the concrete. And afterwards another and another! The slopes started rising to the sky’s no limit and the girl with an intense excitement realised: that’s a whole city!

  Indeed, the skyscrapers spread high and one after another all of them came out from the ground on the signal of strong melody of the so nerve-wrecking song.

 And the girl came down to the city and enjoyed her time spent there to her fullest imaginations. She jumped, she ran, she furiously waved as people supported and joined her dance around the streets. But after few hours she became tired. Not only the smell of candy from the shops could soothe her enough to stay. Her heart was beating faster, yet more tired every minute as she tried to soak in all the wonders of this small metropolis. She loved it here, no doubt, but her feet started tripping and her hands hung down. “I will come here again” she told herself as she turned to the high bright yellow hill visible from the edge of the city. And when she climbed it, she could finally feel rested as if all the sun, flowers and trees hugged her in her calm, peaceful with to sleep.

  She came to her empty but warm room, went to bed and looked at the mirror. “I am, where I live.” And she gave in to sweet, candy-like slumber. 

© 2023 Alena


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

7 Views
Added on June 12, 2023
Last Updated on June 12, 2023
Tags: brain, metaphors, analogy, mind, passion, love

Author

Alena
Alena

About
Let's see where this continuous tireless somewhat cringe but always loved writing takes us :D (more from me on behance - Alena Hladka) more..

Writing
A feeling A feeling

A Story by Alena


Growth Growth

A Story by Alena