Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Goals

Goals

A Story by Alice Patinkin
"

Another project from my first year of college.

"

Overall, I know I can never fully plan anything. No matter how careful I am, no matter how much effort I put in, there will never be any guarantee it will all turn out like I want it to. All the same, goals are still important to me. As the Les Brown quote goes: “Shoot for the moon, because even if you miss, you will land among the stars.”


My goals are fairly simple in writing; I’d like to be happy, to do what I love, to make some contribution to this world, etc.; however in practice, I know I will need to invest a lot of time, unbreakable dedication, and effort in order to reach them.


How do I start? I've been asking myself the question for years. The answer comes slowly, often only on the wings of a prayer. My primary goal right now is to become “self-sufficient.” That is; have a job, so that I can pay for a car, maybe a room to rent on my own - or at least with a colleague, and food to sustain me. Basically, “Become a grown-up and stop relying on my parents so much.”

I have started this goal by job searching. So far, I have landed what has been a dream job of mine since infanthood; working in a coffee shop/bookstore. This job is beneficial; as the place I work at is well thought of, and the barista training I receive may give me a greater chance of employment at other coffee shops should I need to relocate. However, it is a small business and the pay is not substantial by its self. I will need to find a second job if I ever wish to live on my own. So back I go to job searching, and hopefully with the experience I now have, other employers will be more likely to consider me.


In the meantime, I work hard at the job I am currently occupied with, and possibly with improvement I will be rewarded more hours.


Another step in my “Self-sufficiency” goal is, of course, my education! Not only will I become a more rounded person by it, but also improve, and create a broader range of employment possibilities for myself.

I have already worked for and gained my GED certificate; now I go on to work for my Associates degree, and hope to land a four-year college after that. I do have one college in mind, though it is fairly prestigious. 

I know I may not get in to such a place, but keeping such high values in my mind helps me to work hard and stay dedicated. Even if I don't get in to the college of my dreams, if my work is done well, perhaps I will land somewhere just as good - if not better.

 

Yet another step in my goal, which I must add, is driving! I received my learner’s permit last spring, and have been recording the hours of driving I have completed in a log, as is required for homeschooled students. However, life is busy, and often my parents do not have the time or energy to take me driving - or we are rushed, and they do not believe I am ready to drive in such a situation quite yet. Currently, I am discussing several options about this issue with my parents. It may be possible to pay for lessons with a driving instructor, though both their budgets and my own are tight, and it may take some time before such a thing could happen. I am looking in to the idea nonetheless, and intend to resolve the issue as soon as possible.


The goal I have of “self-sufficiency” is just one part of a much larger goal in life. I know will do all I can to go about it the correct way, and a passionate way... a way that I hope I will look back and be proud of.

 

© 2013 Alice Patinkin


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is my life in a nutshell, minus the coffee shop job... wonderful story though!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Alice Patinkin

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much. And best of luck to you sir!
I hope you reach all your goals. I think self sufficiency is probably the most important...next to having happy, well adjusted cats, of course...

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 20, 2013
Last Updated on June 20, 2013
Tags: goals, inspiration

Author

Alice Patinkin
Alice Patinkin

Virginia



About
Hello! My name is Alice. I'm a Theatre major, English major and hopeless romantic living in the beautiful mountains of Virginia. Ienjoy writing poetry and short stories whenever I'm graced with the fr.. more..

Writing