What's The Time Mr Wolf?

What's The Time Mr Wolf?

A Story by Alice
"

Only one person knows what the time is.

"

What’s the time Mr Wolf? 

Three o’clock!

One small furtive step forwards, watching the wolf nervously. Crouch down slightly and leap forwards another step. Pause, wait for movement. Crouch and spring. I glance sideways at my fellow comrades. Small anxious smiles and gently quaking hands. We wait and watch for movement.

The figure is still, waiting for the moment to pounce. I’m ahead of the other players. I’m winning. But I’m vulnerable.

What’s the time Mr Wolf? My voice chimes above the rest.

Silence as we wait for reply. Behind me they curl their toes, teetering tensely in anticipation.

Ten o’clock!

Clever. Close enough to capture us, but too far for any of our small legs to reach the prize. I don’t bound this time. Instead I stretch my legs and move silently over the short rough grass. I chose my spot well, behind wolf, out of sight. From here I can try to win. If I were to be too far to the left or right then I would never be able to get close enough. Wolf would have seen me and that would have been the end.

I hear the nervous garble of the others behind me. They watch me creep steadily forwards and stop. I glance back at them. I’m far ahead now. Even if they jumped as far as they could, they would no level me. I face wolf and smile. A tight determined smile. I know I will be victorious.

This time I let them call out. I remain silent. If wolf heard me, it would end.

What’s the time Mr Wolf? They call out, quieter than last time. They too do not wish wolf to know they are getting closer. That is our aim, to fool him into thinking that we are further away than we actually are.

But he knows that. Wolf knows our tricks and tactics. Just as we know his.

Another lengthy silence. Wolf knows that our heart rates increase with every passing moment. He knows that if he waits just long enough one of us will crack and give away our location.

I hold my breath and clamp my hand over my mouth. It will not be I that betrays us. I want this far too much. No more glances behind, I am entirely focussed on what is ahead. I tense my legs, ready to march forwards or sprint backwards. I shall not be caught out this time. This time I shall win.

The wind rustles the great green leaves of the oak tree. The warm summer air brushes past us all and still we wait. My heart beats faster and my lungs begin to ache. If wolf doesn’t speak soon I’ll have to breathe.  I can hear them giggling tensely. They are waiting for the fatal words. The words with which we have to turn and run. The words which might mean that wolf will catch us.

One o’clock!

I lick my lips and stay put. To move a step forwards would put me in the greatest danger. It would mean that I was closer than I had ever been before to winning.

To leap forwards would mean wolf would hear me and I would have to run. Everything would be over.

I do not move from my spot. The others are closer to me now, I hear them breathing noisily. I lift my hand slightly from my mouth and breathe quietly, keeping my eyes transfixed upon the back of wolf.

What’s the time Mr Wolf? Spoken quieter again. But there is no fooling wolf. He knows how close we are. He knows that it is almost time to pounce. Next he will shout the ending call and I will have failed. I will lose and my dreams of winning shall drift away, caught by the breeze.

We are all silent now, no more tittering, their breath fading into the noise of the wind. I smile tightly again and lower my hand. My hands form fists by my sides and I wait.

Two o’clock!

Two steps and I’ll be nearly there. Two leaps and I will have won!

I glance around and smile triumphantly at the faces behind. They stare back with eyes wide and flap their hands at me. Go go! They are shouting silently.

I face wolf once more and stand tall. I puff out my chest and crouch. Pushing through the air. Thump onto the ground. One more, one more! Crouch, low and steady, keeping balance but storing enough energy to make the gap. I will, I will!

Into the air, I feel as though I am flying. The wind carries me closer and I smell the victory. Wolf can do nothing now. I have won! Thump I land again.

Close enough to touch. Close enough to win. I stand tall once more and want to burst with laughter. I won!

I lean forwards and can barely contain the giggles bubbling within me. I have finally won the game. I conquered wolf. I beat the unbeatable. Nothing can bring me down from this. I won! My fellows wait for the moment they can cheer.

What’s the time Mr Wolf? I whisper in his ear.

© 2009 Alice


Author's Note

Alice
I'm not sure what I think about this one so I would love your opinions on it. It's another short story I wrote for a contest on another site.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

"What's the time, Mr. Wolf?" is such a great line. the story is really cool, too, but i just love that recurring line for some reason...

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is really nice.
Good job.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I'm not sure I'm the proper person to critique a story like this, but I can give support. I did like how it had rhythm and a tad bit of rhyme. Makes the eye easy to read through it, though I don't think you spent a lot of time on writing this out. It's a good poem, nevertheless. :D

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

253 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 17, 2009

Author

Alice
Alice

Australia



About
Alice. more..

Writing
Eden Eden

A Story by Alice


Dead Desires Dead Desires

A Story by Alice



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..