Unexpected Assistance

Unexpected Assistance

A Story by The_Dreamer

 

I was walking with a cone of ice cream, when suddenly a desperate scream was carried to my ears. I turned around to find the source of noise. The first thing I noticed, was a man waving both hands frantically at an ice cream van which was pulling away from the curb- towards me. There was something quite wrong about that whole picture. A man was driving the van (which was where I bought my ice cream from), however he was not the guy who sold me my cone. The door of the moving van was still open, and I scrutinised it. Suddenly, I saw a small foot kick out, and a small figure darted from the door. He tried to lunge for the curb, but a swift hand caught him and yanked the little boy back in. The door slid shut. In a flash, I knew what it was.
         

          "Help!! Kidnap!!" somebody yelled, echoing my thoughts. The van was coming down the road in my direction. At once, my heart began to beat to the rhythm of the andrenaline filled, cop-and-robber days. A plan had already formed in my mind. I took a bite from the cone, then flung my ice cream towards the oncoming, generous target of the windscreen, breaking into an almost instantaneous acceleration towards the oncoming vehicle. 
    

          My missile found its target, and a thick brown chocolate mass spread over the windscreen of the van. The driver could not see properly now, and that was my intention. As the vehicle passed by me, I leapt for the passenger side door, clinging on to the left side-mirror and perching my feet on a centimetre long ledge jutting out from above the spinning tyres. The driver had not seen me hitch a ride, but when I appeared beside the passenger window, he jolted in surprise, and immediately tried to swerve the van to get me off. He was too slow however, in  flash, I swung myself through the open passenger window, feet first. The hard soles of my shoes collided with his head, backed by fifty plus kilograms of mass. My feet made a sledgehammer blow on his head I presume, and he instantly collapsed. I shoved him aside, and immediately pulled the handbrake to ensure my safety. 


          Turning towards the back of the van, an interesting sight unfolded before me. Three people were locked in a tussle on the floor of the ice cream van. A young boy struggled to get away from his captive- a roughshod man of about twenty. That man, was in turn, being held in a headlock by my ice cream vendor. Despite the restraint, the roughshod man kept an iron grip on the ailing boy.


          I smiled, then stepped to the back to relieve the vendor of his charge. I rummaged through the pockets of the kidnapper and found a pair of handcuffs. Good job, I thought, and cuffed him. This would be a nice package to leave in front of the police station. The vendor was not hurt despite his struggle. Those bad guys must have hijacked his ice cream truck immediately after snatching the child from his father's hand-hold. Why they chose that means of escape was beyond my understanding. I only knew that they had made a super silly mistake. 


          I helped the ice cream vendor get up, requested for a replacement chocolate ice cream, and got out of the van. The other kidnapper, the one who was driving, was slumped over the steering wheel. As I walked past the driver's door, he must have begun to stir, because when I turned around to check on him, I only saw the hollow barrel of a gun pointed at me through the windscreen. He had scarcely made a move, however, before a lump of dry ice flew in his direction, knocking the weapon out of his hands, and sticking fast to his fingers, freezing them. 

          That was my former partner, Jim, who had resigned from the force to sell ice cream. I smiled and nodded an acknowledgement of his having scored one against me, then turned to go to the phone booth to reserve a table in his favorite restaurant. That was a treat to him for saving my life.

 

© 2009 The_Dreamer


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Why did the kidnappers left the passenger's window open, if it wasn't open, then what could the protagonist do to stop them and save the victims? No offence, I was just wondering.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
--
Seriously, I'm hooked. I want to know more about this person, his/hers name and the hole bit.
I like the part were the main character takes a bit out of the ice cream before he/she throws it at the oncoming van. I might have split the third paragraph in two, but that just my preference.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a crazy story! I gobbled it up. Delicious!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

160 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 7, 2009

Author

The_Dreamer
The_Dreamer

Indonesia



About
A third culture kid ("TCK") no longer a child but still lost and wandering back to her origins. A weary and exhausted book lover, writer, struggling to find time for her art and her music. Burdened wi.. more..

Writing
The Jungle The Jungle

A Story by The_Dreamer