Double Delight

Double Delight

A Story by The_Dreamer

 
                “Stay cool and relax,” Sebastian told himself as he confidently strode through the security gates of the compound. The night guard on duty hardly looked up from his newspaper before waving the man in the business suit through. Sebastian walked briskly to the front door of the first house in the front row of terrace houses and up the porch. Fishing a key from the depths of his pocket, he stabbed it into the keyhole and unlocked the door.
 
                The next moment, he was inside the dark house. Deciding against turning on the lights because he knew the place by touch, he hurriedly laid the briefcase he was carrying upon the floor. All was quiet. As he stooped to open it, his sharp ears detected a shuffle from within the depths of the house. Sebastian froze. He had confirmed with the housekeeper that nobody would be let into the house for the next three days. The housekeeper herself would be on holiday as well. Immediately, Sebastian suspected a burglar.
 
                He carefully clicked his briefcase shut and stood up, determined not to let the thief escape with his loot. Keeping still so as to not create any noise, Sebastian strained his well trained ears to detect the slightest movement. There he heard it. From the study came the sharp tinkles of a safecracker at work. Sebastian stole across the hall and towards the sound.
 
                The door was open at a thirty degree angle. Through the gap, he saw a figure crouched before the large safe, working meticulously with his tools. There was a click, and the safe door swung open. He heard a sigh of satisfaction. Not knowing if the felon was armed or not, and thinking it is better for him to be armed, Sebastian pulled out a retractable baton and stepped between the door and its frame. Suddenly aware that somebody was behind him, the thief whirled around.
 
                Sebastian held his weapon hidden behind him. The thief had his left hand inside the safe drawer. Suddenly, the figure on the ground swung his left hand forward. In the darkness, Sebastian saw a dark shape skirt across the ground towards him. As the metallic safe drawer cracked against his shin, pain shot through his left leg. Sebastian fell over, knocking the door fully open.
 
                The burglar alarm at the door hinge was triggered and a shrill ring pierced the silence of the night. Shocked, the crouching figure snatched up his bag and made for the open window. Sebastian did the same. They never made it out with their loot because at that very instant, the newspaper-reading night guard appeared before the window with the entire troop of security personnel. They caught two thieves in the same house that night!
 

 

© 2009 The_Dreamer


Author's Note

The_Dreamer
Please help me think of a better title, I am really stuck...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

YES! NICE! LOVE THE WAY THAT YOU SEEM TO PUT SEBASTIAN ON THE PROTAGONIST SIDE BEFORE ACTUALLY DECLARING THAT HE ISN'T!!!
KEEP IT UUUP~!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Ooo.. Titles, how about Double Take? Anyway Liked it a lot. The ending confused me slightly, but then again I'm a little slow tonight.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 10, 2009

Author

The_Dreamer
The_Dreamer

Indonesia



About
A third culture kid ("TCK") no longer a child but still lost and wandering back to her origins. A weary and exhausted book lover, writer, struggling to find time for her art and her music. Burdened wi.. more..

Writing
The Jungle The Jungle

A Story by The_Dreamer