Tincture

Tincture

A Story by Alex Ware
"

Tastes foul

"
Tincture
"Where is he, for heavens sake? Why do I hire such people, Arthur?"
"You explained to me that he was the best, sir." the butler replied in a neutral tone, masking his concern behind an air of professional servitude. He placed Sir Montgomerys nightly tincture on the end table beside his armchair, as he sat brooding and staring silently into the fireplace.
"No Arthur, I said he was the best on Gumtree. A reasonably well rated mercenary. It's been hard to find someone new since Craig was..."
"Eaten, sir?"
"Yes.." Sir Montgomery replied sadly "..and many of the others are catchers. I can't use a catcher, Arthur. I just want her to come home.." he glanced again at his pocket-watch. The castle had been lonely since Maria had left. This huge study, illuminated only by the crackling flames of the fireplace which together had brought them so much comfort, was now a useless repository for unread, dusty tomes. The rain whooshed outside, muffled by the closed balcony doors leading to a view of the valley. It was really starting to come down. He hoped she was alright, out there..
"My tincture, Arthur? Oh I hadn't noticed you bring it. Thank you." he took a gulp. Foul stuff but it had to be taken.
"How much do we have left?"
"Enough, sir. I took the liberty of running an inventory earlier this evening. There is sufficient for two months more."
"Oh good, I worried about burning through it. I suppose Marias absence has..helped it last longer."
"I am sure that Mr Smith will return soon, sir."
"Thank you Arthur. You are dismissed for the..."
A bellowing roar. Arthur smirks ever so subtly.
"Come Arthur, to the balcony."
Crashing open the door, Sir Montgomery rushed on to the balcony, ignoring the deluge of rain. Mr Smith had decided to ride her up to the top to make what he saw as his "triumphant" appearance. Ignoring him and his self congratulatory bravado for now, Sir Montgomery locked eyes with the beast.
"Maria..." he whispered to himself. "You! I specifically told you to bring her to the lower levels! She must be kept out of the rain!"
"Oi! I did a good job with this. Do you know how hard it was to go from town to town, chasing the rumour mill? You're lucky she's here at all!"
"Alright alright, for Gods sake just get her down to the dungeons. Arthur will sort out your payment after she's restrained. Arthur!"
"Sir?"
"Prepare the chambers, and extra measures of tincture. I will join Mr Smith for the ride down...I know she's in there somewhere. She'll be fine with me."
"Of course, sir. I will prepare the area immediately."
"Thank you, you're a good man."
With that, the trio were finished shouting over the rain, and Marias temper was beginning to flare up. Sir Montgommery took Mr Smiths hand and climbed up in front of him, taking the reigns. He gently ran a hand over her scales, cold to the touch, and her temperament mellowed, almost imperceptibly.
"Let's go, I'll take the lead.."

© 2017 Alex Ware


Author's Note

Alex Ware
Ties in to Chicken and Remember...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Awesome and lively descriptions and just the right amount of mystery! This is forming to be quite an interesting series! I love it! Keep up the good work! :)

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 22, 2017
Last Updated on April 23, 2017

Author

Alex Ware
Alex Ware

Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom



About
Hi all I'm an I.T professional and student living in Oxford who enjoyed writing when I was younger, and want to explore those abilities again. I'd love to work towards collections of longer stor.. more..

Writing
The Lookout The Lookout

A Story by Alex Ware


Missing Link Missing Link

A Story by Alex Ware