To those who don't

To those who don't

A Story by Alex Ware
"

Good things come to those who don't

"
To those who don't
George had made it his aim in life to do as little as possible, had tailored his own life to revolve around this heightened drive to have no drive. Once the system was set up, it really wasn't too hard to maintain, as fortune would have it. He rented the smallest room of the most decrepit, ill furnished shack on the outskirts of town, shared by a few local hood rats (and the occasional actual vermin) to keep rent as low as possible. Bills were included, and an hour every other day was spent pretending to job hunt, just to keep a steady welfare stream flowing in.
He subsisted on bread and grape juice, delivered by means of a weekly supermarket order to his address. His other needs, sexual social and means of entertainment, were provided by way of his internet connection. Technically speaking the entire world, in which he expressed no active interest and felt only abject disappointment, indelibly imprinted from an early age, was accessible through the sad portal of his ancient laptop screen. He could watch movies, drink alone and ignore the inconvenience of his own existence at the utmost leisure. 
Nobody bothered him,  having reached 50 he'd decided to ignore his wife, kids and career years ago to further this aim.
The diluted sadness of his life couldn't match the disappointment he harbored towards the outside world. Dashed hopes..
Only once deciding to venture outside, when cramp became too inconvenient, he felt himself watched like a monstrosity, slinking like a slug to the nearest corner store for some cigarettes. Not even he knew why he decided to buy a scratchcard that day, maybe it was just out of fear for the dole drying up. True to his self imposed lifestyle of laziness, he'd done nothing to deal with warnings of insufficient job hunting. The cashier looked at him with bored disgust and indifference as he slimed his way outside, eased his bulk onto the curb and lit a camel. Sigh. He found an old coin to scratch off his card..one bell..two..three? "huh" he thought aloud: "Looks like I've won half a million." There was no light of emotion shining through the deep blue fog of numb depression, even as he realised that now he could do what he'd always wanted, always dreamed of, with no chance of anything getting in his way.
Flatly, George slimed down again back to his flat, got straight back into bed and found some old nonsense to watch. He'd cash the ticket when he could be arsed, and pursue his amazing dream anew. Of doing absolutely nothing. Good things come to those who don't.

© 2017 Alex Ware


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I have always loved your three-dimensional characters. Such an interesting topic to explore. You feel both sadness, anger, disgust and pity all at the same time. Great job! Keep up the awesome writing! :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Looks like a pretty good life to me! Greatly written. Your subtle humour is icing on the cake. I don't think anyone can write it better.

Love,
Vasilees.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 4, 2017
Last Updated on May 4, 2017

Author

Alex Ware
Alex Ware

Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom



About
Hi all I'm an I.T professional and student living in Oxford who enjoyed writing when I was younger, and want to explore those abilities again. I'd love to work towards collections of longer stor.. more..

Writing
The Lookout The Lookout

A Story by Alex Ware


Missing Link Missing Link

A Story by Alex Ware