Scraps

Scraps

A Story by Alex Ware
"

Delicious table scraps.

"
Scraps
The cat had starved to death. That was plain to see, at least how I saw it. It had, in life, been one of the strays littering the streets, pitter pattering through the alleyways. Perhaps given the right care, its ginger fur could have been thick and vibrant. It could have grown fat on table scraps, and cozied up with a loving owner.

As it was, it had succumbed to the undignified ravages of starvation. Its fur was thin, patchy like a worn living room rug, and every bit as stained and matted. Its skin hung tightly against its enfeebled skeleton and hungry, shrunken organs, telling its own story of pain.

On that day, I felt profoundly moved and tragically sympathetic for the sad and lonely fate of this nameless feline. As it had chosen my front garden for its final resting place, I returned to my house momentarily to fetch my shovel. Sombrely, I began digging the best grave I could for the creature. Fitting the tone of the event, a speckling of rain pattered down from above, as though the sky were mourning the loss of another of Gods creatures from this world, taken before its time.

Eventually, I'd produced the grave. Gingerly, I knelt down and began to move the body. Imagine my shock when, upon being disturbed, the body jerked violently and hissed aggressively! I, too, leapt back in sheet shock and confusion, pulse racing, breathing heavily.

The cat, apparently very much alive, quickly managed to calm itself down. Its breathing was weak and almost imperceptible. Still a little shocked, we're both silent for a moment before I break out into involuntary laughter. I'm overjoyed as it, (he, as I could tell once he started walking around), followed me into the house.

It took a few months, but Zombie is now the happiest cat I've ever had the pleasure of caring for. His fur is every bit as full and thick as I'd imagined it could have been, and he gets as much food as a little cat could want. All he'd needed after all were some scraps.

© 2017 Alex Ware


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Turns out this kitty had more of its nine lives left :) I'm always happy with a happy ending. Yaaay!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
1 Review
Added on May 13, 2017
Last Updated on May 13, 2017

Author

Alex Ware
Alex Ware

Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom



About
Hi all I'm an I.T professional and student living in Oxford who enjoyed writing when I was younger, and want to explore those abilities again. I'd love to work towards collections of longer stor.. more..

Writing
The Lookout The Lookout

A Story by Alex Ware


Missing Link Missing Link

A Story by Alex Ware