To those who don't (revised)

To those who don't (revised)

A Story by Alex Ware
"

Do nothing with your life, except for some editing :/

"

To those who don't (revised)

George had tailored his life to a singular drive �" that to have no drive. To this end, he’d devised an ironically efficient system. The smallest room with the worst characters was rented cheaply, welfare cheques flowed steadily with the minimum of job hunting.

            Weekly deliveries of ready-made food provided sustenance sufficient for the body, the internet, morsels for the mind. His disappointment and apathy of the world, imbued from an early age, was at his leisure to browse, as he watched movies and drank alone. 

            Not a soul disturbed his “occupation”. His housemates left him alone. His wife and children, since cut out of his life, had long since abandoned any hopes of contact. Their hopes dashed, just like his own.

            Feeling an inconvenient cramp aching him, he eventually ventured outside, sliming his way to the corner store for cigarettes…and a scratchcard. The fear of the dole drying up was real, having held true to his laziness and ignoring warnings of insufficient job hunting. The cashier looked at him with bored disgust and indifference as he slimed his way outside, eased his bulk onto the curb and lit a camel. Sigh. Time to scratch off the card..one bell..two..three? "huh" he thought aloud: "Looks like I've won half a million." No emotion shone through his deep blue fog, no elation came from his new freedom unabashed and unabated.

            Flatly, George slimed down again back to his flat, back into bed and found some old nonsense to watch. He'd cash the ticket when he could be arsed, and pursue his amazing dream anew. Of doing absolutely nothing. Good things come to those who don't.

 

© 2017 Alex Ware


Author's Note

Alex Ware
This is the same story as "To those who don't" - I've just tried my hand at tidying up the language, to see if it improves the flow. Almost all of the stories on here are usually unedited, so I should practice editing more. Hopefully it flows a little better.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
Added on May 15, 2017
Last Updated on May 15, 2017

Author

Alex Ware
Alex Ware

Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom



About
Hi all I'm an I.T professional and student living in Oxford who enjoyed writing when I was younger, and want to explore those abilities again. I'd love to work towards collections of longer stor.. more..

Writing
The Lookout The Lookout

A Story by Alex Ware


Missing Link Missing Link

A Story by Alex Ware