New Day

New Day

A Story by Kasey Jones

Graham loved the bus station air. it was electrified with the hopes and regrets of every set of lungs that breathed it in. Kept separate, kept pure by some imaginary barrier between this, this oasis where the thought of a fresh start was allowed to grow, and the rest of the world. He realized it just wouldn't be as magical in daylight.
He boarded the bus whose sign matched the city on his ticket, pausing after the first step just to savor the moment. You could tell who the other runaways were. Avoiding eye contact, afraid that if they show you their eyes, you'll see how much they have riding on this fresh start, and you'll laugh in their face for hoping, for trying.
Graham propped his guitar case on the seat next to him (the overhead bin was too dangerous for his precious baby), counted the rest of his money, collected from his mother's purse and the thick envelope under his mattress filled with birthday, Christmas, and good grade money, and finally relaxed. He would make it. He'd be able to survive on his own. That'll show 'em...but will they care?
His iPod began playing the bright, tumbling piano intro to one of Graham's favorite songs. What a fitting song for a new day, he thought. He leaned against the window and watched the streetlights march by. Nobody bothered him, nobody even looked at him. He smiled, but not the crooked-toothed grin of his youth. No, those days were gone along with the $230 that bought his bus ticket. This was an undoubtedly teenage half-smile. Graham had what he wanted. He finally blended in.

© 2011 Kasey Jones


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I should call you 'Butter' because you're on a roll. (Ha. Puns.) I love the irony of someone describing bus station air as pure. I think a bit more background on the character could make this a bit better. You hint at the neglect from Graham's parents, but you never explicate. Maybe you did it purposefully to leave the reader guessing, but either way, it's an interesting development. Also, maybe you could give his guitar and the desire to blend in a bit more significance with the neglect as well. I like the simplicity of the piece, but I think you could expand it into something great. It almost correlates with 'Just Drive'. It'd be sweet if you could connect the characters and the story lines, but as two stand alone pieces, they're both great. Are you feeling a bit trapped lately? If so, perhaps your inner desires and curiosities are manifesting themselves in your work. A great piece.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

333 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 20, 2011
Last Updated on August 20, 2011

Author

Kasey Jones
Kasey Jones

The Armpit Of Massachusetts, MA



About
Just read my stuff to get to know me. This is one of my favorite music videos, and songs. It can be creepy, but it must have been SO fun to film. The "How could it ha.. more..

Writing
Sunset Sunset

A Story by Kasey Jones