Grey Maidens Gift

Grey Maidens Gift

A Story by Lore Keeper
"

Part one of a two part story of an Azurnaylian tale that takes place on the eastern side of the inner sea of storms and the dragon maw mountain range of Azurnaylia.

"
     Kaezu laid out on the roof of the longhouse, the Spearman constellation stood perfectly between the two crescent moons. Some would say that the heavens were warning of misfortune on the horizon. A bad omen as it were, Kaezu no longer believed in such childish tales.
     An entire generation had past since the last warning from the heavens had come to fruition. Sure there was the occasional skirmish with goblins who were thought to have been pushed north by Dwarven boar riders as well as poor fishing years. Keazu didn’t believe they existed, not the goblins or dwarves but dwarves who road the wild boars as mounts. No one could tame such a savage beast let alone having them as a steed like a horse.


     Gazing up at the wonders of the night sky didn’t seem so dangerous, after all she had been doing it for years now and the worst thing that happened was Geska’s parents refused to pay her bride price set by her own parents. That was a plus for Kaezu, she didn’t want to be married off to a brute like Geska anyway. He smelled like a wet dog and very rarely bathed.
     Not even the storm over the inner sea was scary tonight, there were only the occasional lightning strikes in the far distance. It seems that even the gods tired of fighting amongst themselves from time to time. The tribal moot happened every five years where the tribes gathered were to discuss any grievances and boundary disputes as well as the trading of goods.
     The best part was Kaezu’s tribe had been choosen to host this years event. She has already seen people from the Temo’kret tribe who boasted the tallest peoples of the tribes and intricately carved rams horns even the women are over six feet in height. Others include people from the Villsema and those in the confederacy of tribes in which her people belong Kaezu even met her maternal grandmother of their sister tribe from the north.
     The only tribe not included were the Shardreath from the swamps to the south east. More than once they have broken the truce and killed people during the annual moot. With the exception of a few more tribes from the east and north east, the only others who haven’t arrived were the grey maidens, a tribe of cannibal women who enslaved men for the sake of breeding or to be eaten.
     Despite her parents assurances they would not be harmed, Kaezu feared them. Not in her wildest dreams could she imagine a tribe of people who ate other humans. Looking over to where the tribes had set up their shelters near the village proper, Kaezu could see hundreds of the portable homes made from hides as shadow mounds with the occasional light of whatever fire hadn’t been extinguished.
     How the gods must look down from the heavens and see the people as nothing more than insects. Sitting up Kaezu thought it best to head back inside, she hadn’t been ‘gone’ for much longer than an hour but eventually someone would come looking. Luckily the ladder was attached to a heavy crossbeam for easy access. 
     Once inside her mother gave one of her most scolding look of disproval. Raised eyebrow, compressed lips turned down in a no nonsense frown, and she had even managed to cross her arms across her breasts without Kaezu seeing her doing it. She could very well be tapping a foot in irritation, the only saving grace was the handful of people sitting on the ground between them.
     Pointing upwards to say she was up on the roof was all she did before her mother pointed to an unoccupied spot on the ground. She had probably missed the elder explaining their duties as hosts and what an honor it was to have their village picked. Every ten years this is done instead of being held on the open plains, to be picked was a high honor.
     Undoubtedly her mother would have that talk with her about what was expected of her as the daughter of the head of tribal security. Kaezy sat where directed to, now was not the time for one of their arguments. That and she didn’t wish to push her mothers threat to trade her off to the grey maidens for being a ‘willful and unruly child’. At least she hoped it was just a threat.
     Before she could get comfortable, a subordinate of her fathers hurriedly entered the longhouse. The man obviously was seeking out her father who stood and made his way to the man. They talked in hushed whispers so as not to disturb the elder and those enraptured by his storytelling. Almost as quickly as the man entered he exited, clearing his throat, her father spoke.
     “Forgive me Elder Faur’ga, the chief of the Grey Maidens is on her way to pay respects.”
     The tension caused by this announcement instantly became palpable as woman clutched children to their bosom's and men reached for their weapons. Holding his hands high, the elder spoke over the murmuring people.
     “Silence! The Grey Maidens have never broken the peace of the moot. For the sake of their honor and our own, we will greet their chief with the respect she deserves as per her position in her tribe,”
     Motioning for someone to help him stand, once accomplished elder Faur’ga held firmly to his staff as he stood at his tallest. As much as he was able due to his age and slight hump on his upper back. With a quick knock on the door it was opened to allow three women to enter.
     Each bore simple knives at their hips but bo other weapon. At least none that Kaezu could readily see. At first she hadn’t realized she was holding her breath until the woman with flaming red hair stepped forward and introduced herself with a formal bow.
     “I Sanga apologize for disturbing you elder, I recall that you had lost your chief not long ago. We bring gifts to honor their memory as a great warrior and for allowing us to camp outside your village.”
     Motioning to the one maiden holding what appeared to be something wrapped in a wolf hide forward, she then stepped forward and laid the bundle at the elders feet. Unrolling the hide to reveal a metal blade knife with a white handle. Possibly ivory.
     “The knife is to be awarded according to your wishes elder, the pelt to the next chief as a symbol of their position. It holds magickal properties to turn the wearer in to a wolf.” Sanga had proclaimed.
     The people within erupted with accusations of witchcraft, and blasphemous magick. It took some time to quiet the people before the elder demanded to know why they would bring such a thing to them.
     Sanga replies, “I assure you elder, thisis not witchery but a gift from the gods. A tome of the death god Kyrathos had been found and we had gleaned the meaning of the book and created what was gifted from the gods. Allow me to demonstrate.”
      Many of the people moved away from this woman and her companions,most pulling children closer to their bosom. Sanga assured the elder neither she or her people will don the pelt. Instead one of her maidens pulled a large tome from her pack. Kaezu’s father grabbed his daggers hilt without unsheathing it.
     The woman stepped forward with book in hand for the elders examination. When satisfied it was no trick he exclaimed out loud that it appeared to be just an ordinary tome. The tome maiden motioned towards the fire pit, when a path was cleared she placed the book in the fire before stoking the flames.
     Several moments later she pulled the book out with tools to stir the fire. The pages were unburnt, she even attempted to rip the pages from their binding to no avail. Sana stated that even if this book was bewitched by human magick it would still burn. This was truly a gift from the gods and she would swear to it on any god of their choosing or all of them.
     The elder doubted her words no more, he informed all in attendance that whomever was choosen as the next chief would decide what to do with this ‘gift’. Sanga agreed to these terms and bowed themselves out, Kaezu eventually drifted off to sleep listening to the droning debate of her elders. 

© 2024 Lore Keeper


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

19 Views
Added on April 24, 2024
Last Updated on May 15, 2024

Author

Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

OR



About
Hello, I’m J. Alton Henry and I am a published author (three poems in the mid 90’s). I am pretty excited to hop back in the saddle again. My favorite genres to read are fantasy, horror,.. more..

Writing
Lost Lost

A Poem by Lore Keeper