Alternate Night

Alternate Night

A Story by Ammietia
"

An alternate ending to a night

"

The girl stepped out of the lavish house, taking a deep smell of the warm, slightly humid summer air. Her mother waved goodbye to the owner of the house, a petit chinese woman who's husband was away on a fishing trip with their own husband and father. There was promises of tomorrow, a day of sitting by the pool sipping drinks and reading with the sun shining. As the girl climbed into the cab of her mothers truck, she noted the mix of conflicting scents- the summer air, a mix of floral, wood and rain, and the trucks scented interior, an odd mixture of orange and something unnameable that came from a car air freshener in the shape of a sandal.

 

As her mother pulled out of the driveway, the girl lowered the window to enjoy more of the summer air. The chinese woman waved good bye, and they waved back, and then they were out of sight from each other.

 

The radio was turned on, the music a quiet hum next to the wind blowing through the window, determined to be as loud as it could possibly be. The girl didn't mind it, though. The air was nice, the night peaceful. She let the night wrap around her as she sat back, smiling at how well the day had gone. How fun it was to be without her father or her brother to ruin it. Girls only. No boys allowed. She liked it.

 

The wind pushed the bell that hung from the cat collar around her neck- a fashion statement she was sure would be the latest craze. The soft sound of the bell brought her mothers attention, despite the airs constant attempt at out-noiseing everything.

 

"You really like that collar, don't you?" The mother asked, her eyes focused on the dark road ahead of her.

 

"I think it looks dashing, don't you agree?" The girl replied, smiling. She could see her mother's eyes roll and saw the curve of a smile, though she said nothing more. She turned back to stare out the window, letting the night weave it's tapestry through the world around her.

 

Nothing more was said, the silence of the night was free to take over.

 

The squeal of tires broke the silence. The flash of lights scared off the night. The girl turned her head sharply, causing the small bell to jingle sharply. She was blinded by light and sounds she couldn't place filled her ears. She thought she was screaming, but couldn't be sure through all the sound. Something hit her, she felt forces pull and push and there was pain from every angle she could comprehend. As her head hit something hard, the small bell jingled once and stopped, and was left for darkness.

© 2008 Ammietia


Author's Note

Ammietia
Ignore missing or misuse of apostrophes, I really need to work on how to use them, but 11:30 at night is no time unless I have insomnia, which I don't (thankfully)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

so did she die? i really couldnt tell.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

119 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 27, 2008
Last Updated on June 28, 2008

Author

Ammietia
Ammietia

Hamilton, Canada



About
I'm a junior who hated English and never really realized how much I enjoyed writing until grade 8. I've finished a novel which is in the editing stage (well, I have to start the editing, I'm a procras.. more..

Writing
Notice Me Notice Me

A Poem by Ammietia