Making a Sunset

Making a Sunset

A Story by Ammietia
"

About Sanuye and the people who inhabit it.

"

Please No CSS

The day I finally broke was the day I learned how to pick up the pieces by myself.

 

You wouldn't believe me if I told you. Not unless you were insane too. Not unless you, too, needed somewhere to escape, and you, too, realize the world around you, the world everyone sees, didn't hold what you needed.

 

That day I broke, I had no home. I had no friends. I had no family. Not truly, and those who have been broken as well know what I mean. The pieces of me dropped on hard and cold ground. The pieces were labeled garbage by everyone. The pieces were un-fixable.

 

At least, thats what I thought.

 

All the others might have been true, but the last was not. I learned that I was fixable, and that I only needed a little help. I also learned that the help I needed wouldn't come from anyone but me because I was nothing to everyone.

 

So thats when I found Sanuye.

 

Thats when I found the lush grasses. Thats when I found the hill crested with a lone willow tree. Thats when I found the stream that passed around the hill, cutting it off from the forest on the opposite bank.

 

And all thats where I found three remarkable people, Ammietia, Lyra and Lily.

 

Ammietia- Tall, strong, graceful, knowledgeable. An older me that I wished to be.

 

Lyra- Small, dark, mischievous, immature. A younger me that I never could be but in my dreams where no one could hold me back with their expectations.

 

Lily- Small, light, sweet, innocent. The twin of Lyra but a stark contrast. A younger me in many ways, good but tended to laugh at Lyra's pranks and suggest new ones.

 

I turned the near-blank canvas that was this small part of Sanuye (as I later found out) into a paradise. If I wished something, it was there. My imagination was the only limit. When I wanted it to snow, it would. When I wanted rocks to be added to the river, they materialized.

 

I made Sanuye into my sanctuary. I imagined wildflowers in reds, blues, and yellows to grow up the hill. I coaxed the willow tree to flourish. I brought sand to the riverside for days where we (Ammietia, Lyra, Lily and I) wished to play at the beach. I made Christmas with lights that shone their brightest and snow that would never bring frostbite or sickness.

 

We didn't just create in Sanuye. We lived. We thrived. We had fun.

 

Games of tag were called even during a test, the trees used as our cover. Snowball wars were waged in the middle of summer. Water was poured on an unsuspecting Lyra. Pillows were tossed at a too-serious Ammietia's head. Snow suddenly appeared in a pile on top of a particularly noisy Lily. Flying Lily's tackled a laughing me.

 

And as Sanuye grew, I began to become unbroken. I began to become unbreakable, or close to it. Whenever I was told that I was a disappointment, Ammietia, Lyra and Lily were all there to battle back the crows that came to agree with the harsh words of my parents. Whenever I had a test, Ammietia helped me study, Lyra and Lily helped me remember the answers while writing. Whenever I was trying to make a decision, they listed the pro's, con's and consequences of any actions there were to take. If I was depressed, they put up with the rain that accompanied my depression and helped me through it. Heck, they even yelled at me when I did something stupid (and boy do they yell!).

 

So maybe you think I'm insane. Maybe you think I'm stupid. Maybe you think this is all a ploy. But to me, this is my survival. Without Sanuye and the people in it, I wouldn't be here today, and I know that for a fact.

 

Its all what fixed me, and what has kept me unbroken since.

© 2008 Ammietia


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I know exactly what you mean I did that, too. And I still talk to the people that helped me.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 20, 2008

Author

Ammietia
Ammietia

Hamilton, Canada



About
I'm a junior who hated English and never really realized how much I enjoyed writing until grade 8. I've finished a novel which is in the editing stage (well, I have to start the editing, I'm a procras.. more..

Writing
Notice Me Notice Me

A Poem by Ammietia