Built of Plastic

Built of Plastic

A Story by Angel Alli
"

Pretty memories of tarnished things.

"

The snow globe had fallen under the bed, probably years ago. It was one of those cheap ones you would buy at a gas station. I remembered back to the night when I bought it, when Jack and I were still together.

**********

We had taken off in the middle of the night to California on a whim, heading into something new--something we would experience together. Jack stared straight at the road ahead, and kept a firm grip on the staring wheel. He only moved to check behind him. Soft rock played faintly on the radio. The air blasted from the vents at my request, and the cool against my skin pulled me deeper into my jacket. I was slightly tired, but not too much that I could not take in the moment-- the calming silence between Jack and I, the moon high in the sky, and a sense of peace holding it all together. We rode for hours like this together until we were pressed for gas or else be stranded on a backcountry road at 2 in the morning in the middle of an Arizona summer.

"Want anything?" Jack asked getting out of the truck.

"I actually need to go in. I have to pee like crazy." I walked into the gas station, which besides for me and the unfortunate employee who was stuck with the night shift was empty. After using the restroom, I walked among the aisles of little trinkets boasting the word 'Arizona' in bright big letters plastered against a desert background featuring a cactus. An Arizona cactus snow globe caught my eye and I remember a friend from long ago who loved to collect these things. This particular one was cheap and plastic but I wanted to remember this night and so I ended up buying it.

"Will this be all for you?" the guy behind the counter asked.

"Yes."

Jack was in the truck ready to go when I got back outside.

"I think we can make it there by late morning if we don't stop."

"You're not too tired to drive are you?" I asked.

"Awake as an ox," he smiled.

"That is so not a thing," I said playfully punching him. He smile grew wider.

"Now it is."

We drove off again into the night and I settled into that quiet peace once again- Jack, me, and the road leading somewhere ahead. I didn't remember feeling sleepy.

*********

Jack and I did not last. The break up was messy and looking at the fallen snow globe now  brought back painful memories. The peace of that night and the moment between me and Jack was like the scene in the snow globe- beautiful and perfect, or it had seemed that way. Perhaps like my snow globe the beauty of our peaceful Arizona drive was cheap in quality. Like plastic, Jack and I's relationship dulled with time losing its beauty each and everyday. What we had fell apart- tarnished and cheap. What better were we than a cheap snow globe of an Arizona desert?      

© 2016 Angel Alli


Author's Note

Angel Alli
I originally was going to make this much longer but alas my attention span is short. I hope you enjoy and if not, well then that's okay too.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
Added on September 28, 2016
Last Updated on September 28, 2016

Author

Angel Alli
Angel Alli

IN



About
I'm a young Netflix-addicted college student who occasionally writes between majoring in Biology and saving the world. I'm going to do something someday. I don't know what. But I'ma gonna do it. more..

Writing
Hushed Hushed

A Poem by Angel Alli


Mirage Mirage

A Poem by Angel Alli


A Rant A Rant

A Story by Angel Alli