I Need to Tell You Something

I Need to Tell You Something

A Story by Amy Black
"

One night, a guy friend who liked me confessed that he had just recently gotten off drugs.

"

I need to tell you something...

...is what you said as we sat there on the bench last night. The words that followed numbed me for a moment...but then came the sadness tightly holding onto fear. I could have cried except for the antihistimines that I had been taking all week. They leave you with dry mouth and eyes.

 

 

I reminded myself to choose my words carefully, because my response might determine whether you ever told me the truth again. Breathe in, breathe out. Try not to look shocked.

 

I don't remember praying, though I probably should have.

 

You must have trusted me an awful lot to be so open. I apreciate that. I don't do this often, but I wanted you to know that you're not the only one. So, I told you about when I was a slave. About the one month it took to be sold and the year it took to gain my freedom. "And sometimes," I said, "I go back,but I never stay long."

 

When people survive something painful, they don't talk about it with just anyone. Mostly they keep it hidden, out of convenience, shame or fear. But now and then, two survivors meet each other, and they roll up their sleeves to reveal their scars. In that moment, they form a bond which hell itself could not break, because they know they were slaves to the same master. They toiled,sweat and fought for their freedom. And one glorious day,they threw down their chains and walked away-free men.

© 2008 Amy Black


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
Added on September 20, 2008

Author

Amy Black
Amy Black

About
You know that girl that's always in the library? That's me! I love to learn but I've never really liked school. I'm proud to be a straight ally for gay rights! I'm a socialite- I almost always prefe.. more..

Writing