"Missing..."

"Missing..."

A Poem by Chris
"

This has to do with language and appreciation of it = and above all... understanding.

"

 

Everyone is a "native" speaker.  English (American or British - and both are unique and distinct) is NOT everyone's native (first) language.  Now why would I say this? especially here... now?  What has that got to do with anything at all?


Each of us care albeit in our own way.  And that care is expressed in how we try so damned hard to get others to "get" what we say, "get" what we write.  We want others to feel what we feel or felt or thought or did in ways that we intend.  Our words mirror our thoughts - and yet those thoughts are not always in our native language.  Nor is OUR language always the reader's/listener's native tongue.  The depth and difference of colors and meanings and shades-of-intent are not always present elsewhere - so some move to another language that more easily reflects or even allows what they want said OR heard.  Few have the depth of experience or knowledge of a second or tertiary language and while they think they said something, the true shade-of-meaning wasn't quite "right".  Dictionaries and online translation programs don't often express the full-flavor that may be inherent in the use of many words - let alone phrases or even author chosen combinations - in ANY language.

In many cases I feel I know what someone is trying to say and in others - well, I really haven't a clue.  I read aloud and something just 'sounds' wrong.  Unexpected words appear - that really don't fit my mindset... intentional? or not?; meaningful? or an oops?  In some cases a clear mistake THOUGH chosen.  At the very least a distraction - at worst you stop reading or listening.

There is a level of 'meanness' out here.  We overlook many because we are impatient... and when its we that are somehow "imperfect" well, anger does have this habit of flaring-up.

"Missing..."

Its little things -

the nothing things,

things that mean diddly -

and yet

- everything.

You
did
so many
- nothings -

Nothings that touched me,

paused me,

rocked my world...
so damn often.

I noticed
- but - what do you SAY
or do or
how do you BE when
its really - just - a -  'nothing'
again-and-again...
a thought-less, unintentional,

unconscious, un-aforethought
a - nothing?

You didn't have to be
as you were...
you didn't WORK at it -
its just ...you
and now - I'm lost.
You're still here - but you're not
...still
...here.

"Star light, star bright...
first star I see tonight -

I wish I may
I wish I might..."

Chris

© 2012 Chris


Author's Note

Chris
thoughts...

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I am here

Posted 12 Years Ago



2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 16, 2012
Last Updated on February 16, 2012

Author

Chris
Chris

Lansing, MI



About
"Life is a terminal disease." All the doctors have basically told me so. "Life is an adventure... Pain, well you deal. Thanks for being here. 06/21/2020 I'm back and working on. I've been.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Miracle Miracle

A Poem by Akshat♥


Memoria Memoria

A Poem by Robin


"Breathe..." "Breathe..."

A Poem by Chris