"Ever Hold A Rainbow?..."

"Ever Hold A Rainbow?..."

A Poem by Chris
"

Questions and memories...

"

What's important?  I mean it, "What's important to you?" and it CAN even be, "Who is important - to you?" I know what matters and mattered, and each whom so far, and all the whys - to me.  I've given "night thoughts" and footwear, callouses and blisters, and very real bits-and-pieces of me for my importances.  I've lived daymares, bit my tongue.  I've stood up in front of god and the world and said "Hell NO!"  I've put 'things' I wanted back on shelves and bought needs.  For a while I even stopped being "I-centric"... So "What's important?" to you.  Isn't it time you paused and really became aware?

To the "younger ones": you're growing - and its a pain yeah, yeah, yeah... bla-bla-blah BUT I'm not asking you what someone else THINKS... I'm asking YOU to think for yourself and right now - not tomorrow, or some later.  "What's important to you - for real and not some idealistic, book_expectation, lesson-plan dictated, philosophical-brown-nose bull or to-please-a-teacher-parent-boy-girl-friend or even your frickin dog... This is about YOU.  "What is important to you?"

As for the rest - well, take a minute.  Focus AND MEAN IT!  "What matters to you?  What's important?"

I didn't ask for ANY whys.  Nor am I trying to GIVE you any OR sell a bill-of-goods.  No hidden agendas.  No save the worlds or asking you to reach into pockets or wallets for crap... I'm just asking each of you to think and answer- for and to YOUR self, right now, "Whats really important to you?"

...
...
...

"Are you done now?  Was that really so very hard?"

**********************************************

"Ever Hold A Rainbow?..."

I buried Tweety - in a shoebox
it had cottonball cushioning - for eternity
and all of her tweety-things -
I knew she'ld be lonely and
need things to play with...

I buried her under the metal outside stairs
so the rain wouldn't make her feathers wet and
so the sunlight wouldn't get too hot
on even summer days.  

I held a full ceremony
my sister - Judy - was there...
we bowed our heads and everything.
Even had a moment of silence - for remembering
"Tweety"...
It was good and we cried
...and forgot - the way children do
and later remembered - the way adults do

and understood

how important it was to have,
to let go,
to remember ...what's important
and when.

I told mom when she got home from work

...but she didn't cry.
The birdcage ...went away
like everything else.

Chris

© 2012 Chris


Author's Note

Chris
Feel free

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What's important? Loving my brothers and sisters, remembering our parents, being 'there' for not just family but other people, our community and, best possible, our world; trying to remember I'm not alone on this earth; remembering what i learned that didn't seem important at the time, like that itsy spider who tried, tried and tried again; following a path prepared to climb styles or turn corners; looking at silver seas and all-coloured clouds, knowing they touch all of us at some time in some form or other; remembering that love is not only passion but holding hands, whispering words in the night whenever ..

Your rainbow still shines and shines, so does your (Tweety) - and always will.

See what you do, you make people think and cry a little, smile and think even more.. bless you.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

nice

Posted 11 Years Ago


Your writing tends to make me stop and think about things that I often forget on a day to day basis. Thank you.

Posted 12 Years Ago


... each breath... each touch... and every moment...

Posted 12 Years Ago


I ask and remind myself of this almost daily! Few understand my ways, but I've lost very early in life and because I was blessed with the strongest woman as a mother, I keep fighting, giving, standing ground, loving, searching, and doing it all over again. I tell those I love that I love them, over and over, and that they MATTER. Knowing what is important to YOU is a great thing many lose sight of as they go through this journey.

Posted 12 Years Ago


this moment.. right here.. right now.. I have already put too much away..



Posted 12 Years Ago


Stunning, really, the way that you turned my life right-side-up with this piece. for i have been struggling with 'what' was important and 'why', 'when', 'how', 'where'... never 'who', though, I know 'who'. My mother, my sisters and older brothers, my little bro who is struggling through school as a freshmen and cannot see what is truly important, my horses (always) and my little dog. I guess the ranch would be a 'what', my life now would be 'when' not to focus too much on past experiences, the 'why' i'm not too sure. but i am getting there.
seriously, though, this helped me out a lot. and the strange thing is, as i am typing this, i am under Code Red Lock Down at my high school, which ended three hours ago, and have been held under lockdown for four... wonder what is going on...
what's improtant?

Posted 12 Years Ago


nice write wonderful work

Posted 12 Years Ago


amazingly crafted...wow! :-)

the whole thing actually made me think about my life...I got my answers from here.
thanks you so much :-)

Posted 12 Years Ago


What's important? What's my reason. hmmmm.

quoting a few songs that say it better than I could:

"I am a leader, but you will not follow me,
I ain't no preacher for I'm full of blasphemy,
see you in Hell boys!"

and

"I'm the richest I'll ever be,
I embrace the world I have all around me,
so, sing a dying song, and slap your knee,
have a taste of true anarchy!" :)

That's what it means to me....my message. which could be boiled down to:
It's ugly. Get over it. Because, wow, look how beautiful it all is. lol.

Good stuff.
Get's the head to dancing with the heart.
t

Posted 12 Years Ago


Pouring out the introduction with cunning inquiries is a marvelous idea. Through the poem, you elicit the fact that people do not have all the most supernal things in life perpetually. One must acknowledge what he/she is most tied to or can be tied to in the offing. When a possession (a material or a solid being) exists, most youngsters are truthfully quite carefree. To soothe myself, when some thing or being vanishes forever, it is best to perceive as much as possible that all traces of that thing or person is absent as though that subject never existed.
I am glad you have put light on having appreciation in the current moment of what or whom we care for immensely.

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

745 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 1, 2012
Last Updated on March 1, 2012

Author

Chris
Chris

Lansing, MI



About
"Life is a terminal disease." All the doctors have basically told me so. "Life is an adventure... Pain, well you deal. Thanks for being here. 06/21/2020 I'm back and working on. I've been.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


"Touched..." "Touched..."

A Poem by Chris


~ Black Day ~ Black Day

A Poem by