"The Park..."

"The Park..."

A Poem by Chris

School bells sound in the distance.  The church steeple looms just across the street.  MSU students are flowing the sidewalks going and going - its cool but bright, a good day to breathe.  They closed the Barnes and Noble - too few going there - not that less read, but possibly that less can afford to buy and sometimes less is worth the reading when the pennies bleed from tightening fingers.

"The Park..."

Standing here - right here
back to the tree trunk...

it's chilly today
came outside to breathe - today

and yesterday

and the day before.

 

Can you even

...even

see

...me?

 

I almost wish you were flirting with me...
almost ...because then I wouldn't
feel so - unsure;

feel so - what if I'm wrong;
feel so - no, no way...

 

feel so - wish full that you were...
today
.

 

Chris

© 2012 Chris


Author's Note

Chris
Feel free

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

The juxtaposition of the certainty of nature against the fickle nature of people, combined with the idea of a solid tree against one's back while humans, uncertain, unsure, roam in front of the speaker, has blown my mind.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like the structure of the poem.
The diction is pretty simplistic, but in a way that adds to the innocence of the piece.
The paragraph before the title...I'm not really sure what it's purpose is. Is it giving background information? An author's reasoning for creating the poem? But it seems too separate from the poem itself to really have much meaning.

Posted 12 Years Ago


We can feel invisible, hidden away in our own toughts, but a sunny day (even a cool one) is just the way to bring a butterfly out of a crysalis and that is really something to see. They are known to land on a shoulder or a nose. Good thing the tree has got the back. Lots of strength in that picture! Perfect season ! You know the old saw about spring and the sap rising in those trees. Thay are alive! You've painted a great picture. I imagine it caught many an eye!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I am quite fond of the park...and trees, though I've never flirted with one. I've seen some willows that have taken my breath away, though!

A Barnes & Noble store, closing? It may well be that the book as we know it, is becoming extinct. How sad...I love embracing them after a good read. It's like having an old friend upon a shelf.

Pass the tissues, please...

Posted 12 Years Ago


That tree must be sublimely happy, having you lean against it, hide yourself, believing you're invisible but not wanting to be .. it's how Man is .. not pushing forward but wanting to step towards, dare or dare not.

And truth of the matter is that nothing is free these days, not words, not fliriting, not nothing .. but wanting.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Tap dancing with a tree trunk. Time to make it a two step, Chris. Let her know.
Excellent as always, sir.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Hi ya.

O.o I feel you on this poem. ._. When you said MSU, I was like, is he talking about Mt State U. here in West Virginia... However up on looking closer I see you were talking about MI U.
Anyway, where I live there are three (3) book stores... I was very lucky to find two (2) Stephen King books last week for a dollar a piece.
._. Our book stores are probably the cheapest in the world... They have to be, because we are the second poorest state in the USA.
._. It has been quite chilly, and the parks are over ran with druggies, and rapists here... ._. Even just last week a kid was stalked home from the park, and all most kidnapped by a guy in a mini-van.
._. The theater is also a dining breed... Last month a boy was stabbed, robed, pushed down a flight of steps and was found face down in the rain the next morning in the parking-lot of Lewis theater.

Any-way. I'm glad people still know this is not a video game, and people should be more open minded like you Cris, I like your writings. :)

Ulisigi Wa-Ya

Posted 12 Years Ago


We have entered the invisible age.. People no longer making the effort to connect unless it is hidden behind a text. Perhaps I will be reborn as an i pad or a cell phone and become so suddenly popular. You , on the other hand, could never go unnoticed.

Posted 12 Years Ago


one should be cautious when teasing strange men under a tree in a park..

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
?
uh hmmmm...yes I can see you there back up against the tree..standing there..right there...long white hair..foot propped up behind you on the tree...watching...just watching...pausing...breathing...I even see you chuckle a time or two...nice thoughts Chris

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

221 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 10, 2012
Last Updated on April 10, 2012
Tags: Poetry, Writing, CHris

Author

Chris
Chris

Lansing, MI



About
"Life is a terminal disease." All the doctors have basically told me so. "Life is an adventure... Pain, well you deal. Thanks for being here. 06/21/2020 I'm back and working on. I've been.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..