Trolley unjolly

Trolley unjolly

A Poem by Andrew2401

I paid my pound, had faith.
I tried to steer, it steered 
itself and somehow won - 
its wheels resisting 
every turn of mine.

I reached for avocadoes.
It veered towards the grapes.
Loganberries tipped - escaped,
cascading through the bottom
of its heartless bars.

It winged another trolley -
wheels locked and tempers 
tensed, then calmed,
but it ruined my tomatoes
and crushed his rhubarb.

And another thing -
the damn thing squeaked!

© 2023 Andrew2401


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Your poem is a humorous and relatable take on the frustrations of navigating a shopping cart through a crowded supermarket. I love the way you describe the cart as having a mind of its own, "steering itself" and resisting your attempts to control it. This is a feeling that I think many people can relate to, as we've all had those moments where we feel like we're fighting against a stubborn cart that just won't go where we want it to. The image of the avocados and grapes is particularly funny, as is the description of the loganberries "cascading through the bottom of its heartless bars." The way you describe the other shoppers' reactions to the cart's antics is also very relatable, as we've all been in situations where tempers flare over a stray cart or a misplaced item. Overall, I think this poem is a lighthearted and entertaining take on a very relatable experience, and it made me smile as I read it.

Posted 10 Months Ago


funny, great write! ----maynard

Posted 10 Months Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
Can do relate to this as many, anymore folk will.
A fun piece well written.
Hope you're not a foxes fan, dismal season the one just passed !

Posted 10 Months Ago


we used go to the local Sav-Mart in dead of winter to the icy parking lot and reach out of the car window, grab the shopping carts and let them go to slide across the ice, then the car would fishtail...
Oh how much fun we had in those days...thank you for this poem and the flashback.

Posted 10 Months Ago


So relatable. Those damn trollies. Wheels never go forward do they? Supermarket Crash:) A fun piece.

Chris

Posted 10 Months Ago


Aw the dreaded cart. I think they do that on purpose so we can't pass anything by.

Posted 10 Months Ago


That was fun. Over here in the states they are called "shopping carts" and it seems I always manage to find the one with the bad wheel that has a mind and direction of its own. Yes, this was fun to read and fun to find out...I am not the only one this happens to. : )

Posted 10 Months Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 28, 2023
Last Updated on June 28, 2023

Author

Andrew2401
Andrew2401

Leicester, Leicestershire, United Kingdom



About
In my late fifties, working in retail and enjoy my job. Have always loved the written word, especially poetry and do write a bit myself. Have lately found Writer's cafe and have read and enjoyed q.. more..

Writing
Birdheart Birdheart

A Poem by Andrew2401



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The  door The door

A Story by emmajoygreen