Nobody's Safe

Nobody's Safe

A Story by Stan Lee
"

(can anyone suggest a better title for this story??)

"

The first thing I notice is that my front door is unlocked. That's odd; I always lock it. Then I walk into the living room and my TV is gone! I let out a string of monosyllabic expletives and run back to the front door. There are no signs of the lock being picked; he must have gotten in another way. I race through my apartment to see.


Sure enough, the bedroom window has been jemmied out.  Around the frame are the rough, ugly gashes of a crowbar. The robber has been kind enough not to smash the window and I see that there are a few hand prints visible in the angled light. They are smooth though, he'd obviously been wearing gloves.


Suddenly my breath catches in my throat and my blood runs cold. I sprint to the kitchen and opened the fridge. *another string of expletives* The (beeeeep) has stolen my pizza!


I fling myself on the couch howling with anguish until presently I spy something that turns my howls into bitter laughter at the utter irony of it all. The robber has left my tool box. I get up and kick it out from under the coffee table. Crowbar; gloves; all there. I wonder if I've ever robbed a robber in the past!?

© 2016 Stan Lee


Author's Note

Stan Lee
Appreciate ANY feedback. :)

Also can anyone suggest a better title??

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Yes, the devil is in the details. This is fun and well done. I would like to see it drawn out a tiny bit more to sustain the suspense just a bit. Just a tiny point, in the first sentence I don't think you need "that." Just slows the reader down. I also would delete "he must have gotten in through a window." Let the reader come along with you and discover how he got in, rather than being told. Very enjoyable read.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Thanks very much Taylor. I appreciate these suggestions. :) Shall edit asap! Not really sure how to .. read more
AAAH a new one! you're the queen of flash fiction, Andronicus. your endings are super duper.

Coulda Been Worse?

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

:) Thanks Woody. I appreciate your encouraging reviews. And thanks for the suggestion too. Glad you .. read more
Enjoyable. I finally feel like I am not taking the darkest possible interpretation of your work!
What if you picked a little more random title? "Crowbar" maybe. So the reader thinks they know what is in reference to when you talk about the broken window frame, then the real meaning hits, emphasizing the twist.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Yay!
Thanks for your suggestion S.Mi. This one still needs a lot of work as you can see. I h.. read more
Love the ending :) That's the best part. Fantastic story, Smiley face. You've inspired me to post something new very story lol. Take care and great job!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Thank you Dante! Glad you like the plot twist at the end. Thanks for your encouraging review. :)
"The first thing that I notice is that my front door is unlocked." (Why all the words? Doesn't "I noticed my front door was unlocked." convey the same message? This without using "is" and "that" in your sentence.)

Accuracy - Brevity - Clarity

I noticed my front door was unlocked and thought,"This is odd, I always lock it."

"There are (were) no signs of the lock being picked; he (who?) must have got (gotten) in through a window.

I race through my apartment to see. (incomplete sentence)

Sure enough, the bedroom window has been jemmied out. The rough, ugly gashes are clearly obvious around the frame. (This needs to be written as one sentence - Sure enough, the bedroom window had been jemmied out as the rough, ugly gashes (of the crowbar?) are (were) clearly obvious (plain to see?) around the frame. "clearly obvious" is redundant. It's either clear or obvious, but it can't be both and remain well written. Good time also of foreshadow your inclusion of the crowbar.)

Suddenly my breath catches in my throat and my blood runs cold. (you gotta connect these two sentences somehow) I sprint to the kitchen and opened the fridge. *another string of expletives!!* The (beeeeep) has stolen my pizza! (The *'s and the exclamation points are a distraction. The exclamation point only sends one message: the writer has given up; run out of ideas and otherwise has no other means of expression. The weak and lazy "!", has no place in writing; and two exclamation points used in one sentence are weaker than one.

I fling (flung) myself on the couch (while) howling with anguish until presently I spy (spied) something that turns my howls into bitter laughter at the utter irony of it all. The robber has left my(your tool box or the robber's tool box?) tool box.(and) I get up and kick it(the tool box?) out from under the coffee table. Crowbar; gloves; all there.

I wonder if I've ever robbed a robber in the past!? (so that was the robbers tool box?)

I don't know what to do with the first sentence of your last paragraph; doesn't work for me.

Otherwise, I kinda see what you're going for in the piece, but in my opinion, you write against voice with phrasing such as "monosyllabic expletives" and "clearly obvious". Phrases both clearly and quite obviously out of place in your story about a down to earth guy who's apartment got robbed.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Hi Jaydaut
Many thanks for your lengthy and detailed review. I appreciate your honesty and as.. read more
Jaydaut

8 Years Ago

Yep...I see it there, my apologies, I would have rather written "out of place in your story about a .. read more
"Nobody's Safe..."
More of your "dark humor". I'm wondering what the toppings were on the pizza. Seems this guy got what he deserved.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Thanks for reading and commenting Mattavelli. Perhaps it was that special weedy sort of topping. I d.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

367 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 20, 2016
Last Updated on April 27, 2016

Author

Stan Lee
Stan Lee

About
I've turned RRs off for now because I'm really behind. I have 50 to do! Hope to get to them... eventually :) “If only you could sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; ho.. more..

Writing
The Companion The Companion

A Story by Stan Lee