Not in my name

Not in my name

A Story by Andy L
"

short story

"
"I'm sorry, I don't know where to start" said the tall man with the blond crew cut.

The old man was weary, it had been a busy day, but still he said "Well, why not at the beginning?"

"I guess," said the tall man, shifting position on the hard bench seat.

"I'm an ex Royal Marine. Joined back in '99, left in 2006. My best mate from the start was a guy called Mark Johnson," he said quietly.

"He was better than me at everything; fitter, a better shot, a better all round marine. I felt kind of special to be his best mate at the time. Now I know better."

The tall man fell silent.

The old man said "And the reason you're here, it's to do with this Mark?"

"Yeah, yeah it is."

It was cold in the stone building and the old man rubbed his arthritic hands together to try and warm them.

"Go on," he said.

"Well, we were like a double act, did everything together, double dates the whole lot, although he usually got the better looking girl."

The tall man's face was illuminated in the half gloom by multi-coloured light streaming in through the windows positioned high up the walls. 

"Anyway, I met my wife Chloe down in Lympstone in the spring of 2003 on a lads night out. We married that summer. For once I got the best looking girl."

The tall man sighed heavily, reluctant to go on.

"Take your time", counselled the old man.

"Chloe didn't like me being a marine, I was always getting moved around so I got out and we settled in Lympstone.

"Mark stayed in and got posted abroad and we kind of lost touch a bit. Then in March this year he phoned out of the blue and said he was getting out.

"He came back and settled in Lympstone too."

"You must have been pleased" said the old man, his voice echoing around the building's grey stone walls.

"Well I was at first but then things started happening."

"Such as?" enquired the old man, wetting his white cracked lips with his tongue.

"Mark was single for once, or at least I thought he was, and him and Chloe started getting really close.

"One time we all went out for dinner and as I was coming back from the toilet I caught them having a really intense conversation. As soon as they saw me coming they clammed up."

"You were suspicious of their relationship?"

"At the time It drove me crazy, yeah, " he admitted.

"So I told Chloe I was visiting a mate for a couple of days and I staked out my own home. 

"I wore some old camouflage gear and hid in the woods behind our house. Who should appear later that day but Mark.

"He was inside the house for about half an hour. When he left I saw them embrace on my front step."

"And now you believe they are having an affair?"

"And now... now it doesn't matter."

"I don't understand."

"Mark's dead."

The old man drew breath "How did he die?" he asked.

"Mountaineering accident."

"Were you with him?"

"Yeah."

The old man leant forward in his seat. "And it was an accident?"

"It was ruled an accident, but that's not why I'm here. What's important is what happened at the funeral."

"Go on."

"There were a lot of the old guys from the regiment there so I was chatting away and then I notice Chloe having a deep conversation with this guy in a blue suit I'd never seen before.

"I left them for a while but then I went over to say hello.

"The guy introduces himself as Frank and says he's heard a lot about me and he's so sorry we were meeting in such terrible circumstances.

"We shake hands he walks off and I'm like 'What the hell. Who is this guy'?"

"Get this. Turns out this Frank character was Mark's boyfriend.

"Can you believe that? My good mate Mark the lady killer was actually a shirt lifter."

"A homosexual?"

"Right.

"Turns out he'd been to see Chloe to talk about coming out. Worried about my reaction apparently.

"It makes me sick, but at the same time it makes everything okay doesn't it?

"I don't understand," said the old man.

"Oh, come on," said the tall man angrily. "Like it says in Leviticus, if a man lies with another man as with a woman it is a detestable act and the punishment is death."

"I was doing God's work wasn't I Father? 

"Father?" 





















 





   

 

© 2017 Andy L


Author's Note

Andy L
bit of a short story noodle

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The odd quotation marks irked me a little. As for the piece itself, it really pulled me in. As each paragraph went on, the story became more and more interesting. I wasn't prepared for the twist ending. It was definitely a confession.

Posted 7 Years Ago


I lke this piece. It was so easy to read because your writing style flowed really well. The setences were just right (not to long or short). Your dialogue skils were really well structured and were staight to the point. Its not everyday that a piece of work I read flows this good BUT yours did just that that.

I shall be reading more of your work.

Mark.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Andy L

7 Years Ago

Thanks Mark, really appreciate your . Will try and accept your friend request but I'm not quite sure.. read more
Andy L

7 Years Ago

Thanks Mark, really appreciate your comment. Will try and accept your friend request but I'm not qui.. read more
matrixmark

7 Years Ago

No worries andy. It was a super cool short story.

Mark

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

244 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 18, 2017
Last Updated on January 29, 2017
Tags: fiction, crime, thriller, short story

Author

Andy L
Andy L

kilmarnock, ayrshire, United Kingdom



About
I'm a former journalist who likes to mess around writing short stories etc for fun. more..

Writing
Time's Up Time's Up

A Story by Andy L