The Run

The Run

A Story by Angelica Marie
"

For those days when you just feel like running away from it all.

"

     Amelia stared at the rain as it pattered against the window. She followed each drop as it trailed downwards against the glass. She liked the rain. It drowned out the sounds echoing inside. The Angry words which like poison dripped from the walls and the hatred like snakes slithered through each room. Yet, when the heavens cried the bickering of her parents were silenced. In awe she would stare at her own reflection through the tear stained glass. Her image’s daunting gaze laughing and calling her a coward, pointing out every flaw she possessed like a magnifying glass every little thing seemed intensified. 

   “you could end it,” it teased her “end all pain and all suffering.” She closed her eyes and shook her head no. 

   “Get out of my head!” she shouted and once again looked at her reflection. She couldn’t tell if the image was crying or if it was just rain dripping down the glass. She was a coward and this time she knew that the tears were her own. Heavy sobs started to consume her. She wanted to escape. Just open the door and run. She wanted to drown in the sounds of the sky. She wanted to erase the pained memories from her mind.  It was too much, just too much she couldn’t take it anymore. The screams, the shouts, the broken promises, the love withered into hate. The air so thick with oppression suffocated her every day of her life. 

    Amelia stared at the door, Temptation strong. She stood and took a step. She could run, she could twist the knob ever so gently or maybe she could slam it open and sprint into the wild unknown and get soaked in the liberating rain. And laugh and cry and laugh some more. And that’s exactly what she did. The door hit the wall with such force it left an everlasting mark. Amelia ran into the rain and she didn’t stop. For the first time she felt truly free. The water mixed with her tears dripped down her face and into her smiling lips. She consumed herself in happiness. Before she realized where she was going she was at the river not far from her home. The current was beautiful. It was powerful and strong. It pushed against the rocks and branches. It flowed deep into the forest before it connected with the sea. 

   As she stared fascinated by its power a strong gust of wind blew behind her. It was as if the river was calling to her. It shouted at her to come in. She smiled, it was crazy. And yet…she jumped. Immediately she felt the tug of the water. She flowed with it letting it carry her wherever it desired. It was cold and demanding. Brutal in its taking of her, but she didn’t care. She rejoiced in its strength because it was taking her away. Far away from the pain and suffering she had endured for so many years. So lost was she that she didn’t hear the scream of her mother or felt the hands of her father. She was in a place where they could never find her. She was finally at peace. She closed her eyes and smiled. 


  “Oh God George,” Anna sobbed as her husband cut down Amelia from where she hanged.

  ”Please oh please let her be ok.”

   “Anna call 911” 

   Anna couldn’t move. She stared at her only daughters still form. Her whole world centered on her chest waiting for it to move. 

   “Anna!” 

   She looked at George through blurred eyes. She could barely breath. Her hands shaky.  

   “You know what forget it! We’re taking her to the hospital, come on!” He lifted up Amelia gently, but rapidly. She finally snapped into action. 

   “I’ll open the door.”  

   She ran to get the keys remembering that the door was locked from the inside. Yet, as she approached the door she froze. It was wide open. The wind and rain pouring into the room, it was opened with such force that the knob dented the wall.

   “What the hell?!” George came into the room , their daughter within his arms.     "      "George, do you think someone came in? Do you think that someone did this to our little girl?” 

   She began to sob again.

   “Anna this is no time for that, come on we have to hurry to the hospital.”

   George ran into the rain, but before he could get into the car a police officer drove up the drive way accompanied by an ambulance.  Apparently one of the neighbors had heard her scream and had dialed 9-1-1. George immediately released Amelia to one of the paramedics. They vainly tried to save her daughter’s life, but it was too late. She was gone. Anna fell to her knees shocked into silence.

    All she could see was the blurred red lights turning atop the ambulance. The officer tried to talk to her, but she couldn’t hear him. All she could hear was the sound of the rain falling from the sky. All she could feel was her own hallow heart rapidly beating against her chest. Anna suddenly had the urge to run, to get up and sprint against the pouring rain. She wanted to escape. She wanted to drown in the sounds of the sky. She wanted to erase the pained memories from her mind.  It was too much, just too much she couldn’t take it. She wanted to go far away from the world falling apart around her. 

  Anna blinked her eyes and stared at the road ahead. She took a step forward and then another. She didn’t pay attention to her husband’s sobs or even hear the ambulance’s obnoxious blare. She wanted to scream and cry and scream some more. She wanted to run. And that’s exactly what she did.

© 2012 Angelica Marie


Author's Note

Angelica Marie
This story took a strange turn for me honestly I just started writing about rain and somehow I finished with this. So what do you think?
PS: This is fiction I am no way promoting that suicide is the best way to solve your problems.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

"Is that a teardrop in the corner of your pain?" Willie Nelson. This story made me think of that for some reason.

I love that line. After dinner I will send you a note with some thoughts.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Angelica Marie

11 Years Ago

Thats a very nice quote I like that a lot!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

275 Views
1 Review
Added on November 11, 2012
Last Updated on December 25, 2012
Tags: run, suicide, freedom, suffering, pain, short story

Author

Angelica Marie
Angelica Marie

NJ



About
Writing is in my blood, in my heart and its the calling of my person. I write about love, life, people and everything else. Sometimes my writing can be silly and sometimes it can be serious. But my wr.. more..

Writing