New year!

New year!

A Story by Jose Anilto
"

The turn of the year should serve for reflection, to correct directions, to look to the future. Artificial joy is only this: artificial, like fireworks.

"
Yesterday, at the end of the year. Midnight.
A child was complaining of hunger while his father lit a firework.
Late rentals, expired light bill, water about to be cut, and fireworks being burned.
Midnight. Sky lit by the colorful thunder of fireworks. An artificial joy in the air. Then music, drinks. Damn the neighbors. Damn the water and light bills, the children's hunger. That's joy. And joy has swept the dawn.
Today, new year.
Hangover, hunger, late bills. Where did the joy go? Where did the money from the burned fireworks go?
The child who yesterday complained of hunger, plays in the street, with the same disconsolate countenance. You don't see the father, he must be healing the hangover or making another son to abandon in the world.
The turn of the year should serve for reflection, to correct directions, to look to the future. Artificial joy is only this: artificial, like fireworks. Intense in the brightness, intense in the noise, colorful, but ephemeral. What remains longer is the uncomfortable smoke, the smoke of dreams not realized, of missed opportunities, of life's disillusionment. Drink to drown sorrows, but what drowns is perseverance, good sense, hope...

© 2020 Jose Anilto


Author's Note

Jose Anilto
I'm Brazilian, my English is poor, please correct.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on January 10, 2020
Last Updated on January 10, 2020
Tags: short stories

Author

Jose Anilto
Jose Anilto

Ribeirão Pires, São Paulo, Brazil



About
Brazilian writer, Military. more..