The Turning of Time

The Turning of Time

A Poem by Anima Inspired

 

Through these trees,
the ones that row the dusty road,
creating an uneven, jagged line
from past to present, teetering towards
the weather-worn house I visited
so often as a child, I sense
the coming of the inevitable;
 
their leaves are only shadows now
of colors that painted my childhood,
their branches only brittle memories
of my climbing days longs since passed.
 
In the old fields there are new roads,
dirt paths cut in the amber soil, and
patches of bare earth ready for building--
I hear the distant cry of a child
mourning her makeshift playground,
while a “grown-up” grieves the fancies
that danced so feverishly in a time
where the whispers of the wind were music. 
 
Through these trees
I see a world gone awry,
where simplicity is replaced with convolution,
and the territories of my youth
are slowly being conquered, taken over,
replaced with predictable,
pedestrian formations that

bleed the land of imagination.

© 2008 Anima Inspired


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very beautiful. You have such an amazing talent.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is one amazing write, I can sense the growing up in this write. This is powerful write. You do have a natural talent, I enjoy reading your stuff. Very well written and put together> Keep writing always like your poetry. You're amazing poet.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Through these trees
I see a world gone awry,
where simplicity is replaced with convolution,
and the territories of my youth
are slowly being conquered, taken over,
replaced with predictable,
pedestrian formations that
bleed the land of imagination.

Couldnt have found better words to define this Big Bad Cruel World of Today that has made man a machine and has sucked out sanity from each and every one of us..

lovely this poem is.... :)

Regards,
Poetic Soul

Posted 15 Years Ago


The anguish of aging. Such a wonderfully sad piece. Melancholy perhaps would be a better choice of words here. I have such disdain as well as nostalgia for visiting those places of my youth. The change that occurs through time in those places is like the last gasp of breath before the inevitable. Very well written here. Kudos to you.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Beautiful!

Again, the burnished, etched-in-fire quality. Heart-rendingly elegiac.

All the more reason to ground and found new spirit lands.

Crazy Horse -- another cool Sagittarius.

I think we have to bleed 'em back. ;-)

Resurrection following your elegiac eloquence.

Pax

Posted 15 Years Ago


Typical Sarah. Wonderfully painted, I liked the relationships between nature, evoking memories back to the youth. So everything can be relived and worshiped once again, feel the spirit of the past. Loved it !!

Posted 15 Years Ago


This one really spoke to me, for I saw this poem in both lights, both as a change of how we view things from children to adults, and also as 'progress' where old buildings and other such structures that hold memory for people are torn down and replaced by new structures that will generate memories in newer generations.

To be honest, I didn't see the focus on innocence or loss of innocence that the other reviewers saw. Maybe I'm a dullard or something, but I highly doubt that one. lol. I loved the third verse, particularly the last three lines.

Alot of your poems, epecially this one seem timeless because it contains emotions and...what do you call it...sentiments -there we go - that people in any generation can relate to. I think that's another effective aspect to your poetry that makes your work so astounding. I love this one. And I love the first few lines. I can picture walking down a road bordered by trees...perhaps hand in hand with a special someone. =)

Posted 15 Years Ago


A very interesting coming of age piece as we transition and those illusions we are taught to protect our innocents are shattered as we begin adulthood... very nicely done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Odd how the same eyes see the same things so differently with a few years of growth. I'm glad you didn't call it Progress!

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

724 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 16, 2008

Author

Anima Inspired
Anima Inspired

Sunny California



About
RECENT NEWS: I'm proud to say that two of my pieces "The City" (a collection of Haiku) and "Jazz" will be featured in the Boston Literary Magazine's Fall issue. It's a great journal with very respon.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..