Never Too Late

Never Too Late

A Story by Ankita
"

The title says it all.

"

                  Never Too Late…

 

I was walking back home that day. The cool wind brushing past me, the setting sun tingling my skin. It was a perfect evening. I didn’t feel like getting back  home too soon. I sat down, on the rocks. Watching the strong mountain stand by and the birds fleeing home, the sun setting down and the moon rising up. It seemed as if an eternity passed and now I was looking at the stars shining above, revealing their own little secret. To my surprise, I found a young boy, about 14-15 years old sitting beside me. I don’t know how long he had been sitting there but he was crying. Crying his heart out. I didn’t say anything, I let him burst out the clouds within him. After he was done, I asked him “ want to have a chocolate?” He didn’t reply. Slowly, he forced out a laugh and took the chocolate; we sat there and ate it. Taking our own sweet time.


Then he spoke up “ they want me to take up basketball, I want to take up art and craft, they said its stupidity, I said I’ll be happy, they said I am insane, they mocked me, they humiliated me, they said it’s a girly thing, they said I cannot hang out with them anymore, they were my friends, my family, the ones I thought understood me the best, but no, I am alone, I am crazy, I am different and I don’t like it, I want to be different but but…..”


“But what?” I asked.


“But I am afraid, I am scared. What if I am wrong and they right? What if I fail?” he said and looked at me. Just at that moment the clouds roared, the birds on the nearby tree flew away but just as I looked up at the sky I saw a ray of sunlight, peeking its way through the roaring clouds and showing its magnificent light.

I asked him “how do you feel when you draw?”


His eyes sparkled, he said “ it makes me Happy.”


I said “you got the answer.”


He got confused.


I explained “it’s when people start considering you crazy and insane for what you really love that’s when you should know that you’re at the right path. Never be afraid to do what your heart says.”                                     Just then a squirrel ran by and jumped up on a tree. I pointed out at the squirrel and said “ you see that squirrel?” he nodded.                                                  “Just like that little fellow you too have to jump out of the shed and jump a tree. Go out in the world, meet new people, make new friends, you will be shocked to find there are thousands like you who are ‘crazy’ enough to assume that our wildest dreams are just a brief distance away from reality.  These are the folks who realize that ‘impossible’ is simply a mindset �" something we get when we haven’t trained our minds and our hearts to see past the systems that currently exist to ones that don’t yet exist.  Because when our minds and our hearts and our hands work together, magic happens.”


He cut me in and burst out “ but what about this inner fear? How do I cope with it? They will tease me, everyday. I won’t be the Cool one. It’s going to be so embarrassing. Oh! How will I ever go out again. My dad says he’s ashamed of me. My brother does not even look at me in school. My best friend ignores me these days. I am humiliated and insulted in class every single day. I don’t like going there anymore. Sometimes I throw my colors but then I hug them and cry. And you’re telling me to be brave and confident. You haven’t been through it. What do you know about that?” .He starts sobbing again.

 

Easy to say, difficult to do. Yes it is difficult. What do I know? I wondered.                         

The wind blew; it cleared the sky a little and the setting sun shone proudly, showing off its last rays for the day. I wished I had someone that time who would have cleared the sky for me, I wish I listened to my heart and never threw away my….                                                          But what should I be telling this boy now? Fear?              

I looked at the upcoming stars and they revealed it to me…..

“ Yes the Fear will follow you” I said, “it will prevent you from creating magic, but be strong and brave enough to let go of the comfort zone and just go for it. The question What If You Fail will always exist but there’s a question along it, that’s invisible most of the time, that is What If I DON’T Fail? You gotta take the risk, because even if you don’t succeed the first time you’ll have an experience and trust me life is all about experiences, it’s always better than regretting. Be YOU. You have to listen to your heart  because that’s the saying of the God. Rather Be stupid than take no action.”


I don’t know where this came from, this realization, these thoughts; I thought he must have dozed off, I know once I start, I keep blabbering stuff. But no, I looked at him and he was smiling, his eyes sparkling, there was hope and no fear. He hugged me and said “thanks a lot, I love you.” And ran away.


That was the most innocent hug and the most innocent I love You I ever heard. I didn’t know who he was, neither did I find him ever again around the mountains; did he even exist, or was it just me? But I know he smiled, and that was the most beautiful smile I ever saw. I don’t know if I could solve that kids problem or not but I found myself wearing my ghungroo when I came back home, after all it’s never too late to mend things back……

© 2015 Ankita


Author's Note

Ankita
It's about one of the basic problems faced by teens. And also how in this world of pressure we lose out on our creative sides.

GHUNGROO is is one of many small metallic bells strung together to form Ghungroos, a musical anklet tied to the feet of classical Indian dancers, and also Pakistani dancers.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a delightful tale, just full of vivid images and wise words of hope . The boy seems a bit like I was long ago, interested in art instead of sports. An English teacher would likely tell you to make several corrections, but I'm not one of those. I'll just say it's technically a little rough, but the story shines through.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Ankita

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much :)
your review means a lot to me :)
I'll definitely make the stories.. read more
To me, this was "WOW!!'
I admit at one point i could feel the need to stop reading. But then there was an intriguing feeling too! So, great efforts!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Ankita

8 Years Ago

thank you so much :)
i hope next time you wouldn't feel the need to stop for even ones. :D
Anushka

8 Years Ago

looking forward to dat next tym ;)
The start you gave to the story is not creating interest. Although you converse with the boy well. But there is lack of interest creating matter. Lack of imagination in your story. But its a nice effort I would say. And let your thoughts also travel out of Faridabad and make them universal. Read as many books as you can. I can see the spark to write. You are raw...craft yourself.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Ankita

8 Years Ago

Thank You so much for the review. It was my first attempt on short story writing. i'll definitely ke.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

244 Views
3 Reviews
Added on May 24, 2015
Last Updated on May 24, 2015

Author

Ankita
Ankita

Faridabad, Haryana, India



About
Hi. I'm Ankita Biswas. Travel, books, music, dance, family and friends comprise my life. I'll be up at odd hours having weird conversations on anything and everything. I am lazy but if I like doing .. more..

Writing
Here I GO... Here I GO...

A Poem by Ankita


The Nights The Nights

A Poem by Ankita