Invisible

Invisible

A Story by Pain_and_Promise
"

Ever feel like your so alone, that no one even cares anymore? She feels like that everyday.

"
I walk threw the alley, noticing the details in the old bricks, and the dry, dead looking, grey gravel, crumbling under my sneakers. All I can hear is the faint beats of some punk music a couple blocks down. As I walk, my phone rings inside my jean pockets, startling me, taking my mind off of the eerie looking passage, and I stop. An unknown number appears bright red and glowing on my phone. I answer. 
"Hello?"
"Go to hell you stupid w***e"
The line was disconnected and I took in a deep breath. This was nothing new to me. I made the decision in grade 10 to have sex with a boy named Conner Reid. I fell in love with him. He made me feel like I was something wanted. This was a new feeling for me, from the burden of my mothers death, and my dad leaving me at age 10, being adopted by a old drug dealer hooker, Cathy, I never felt loved. Conner got me to the bed, said he loved me, and promised he'd never leave me, never stop loving me. He left me the day after I gave him my virginity. Ever since then, people calling me a w***e and a s**t, was nothing new. I shoved the phone into my grey, size 2 skinny jeans. I tightened my pony tail, hardly keeping my 10 pounds of wavy black hair up, and continued walking. I wanted to cry. Walking this alley to Cathy's house was the quickest way back from the art studio in down town Riverside. Art is what kept me going all this time, the paintings I did, even the simplest flower, all had so much meaning to them. Art was how I stayed sane. I heard noises from behind me so I quicken my pace. The light from the end of the alley was encouraging me to run to it, because right now, I felt like that was safety, and this alley was my hell. It was in one of these alleys where my mother was raped and killed. I never knew which one. I reach the light, turn around and saw a black figure all the way at the other end. Frightened, I turned back around, running; I pass the Chinese Avon-dale, the café, and then the tall apartment buildings. I know my house is right after these next two grey, tall, old looking buildings. Old couples and groups of people smoking, scattered around balconies watch me as I run by, hair in the wind, fear on my face.
I reach my door and run in. Cathy was no where to be found. I feel a sharp pain in my shoulder. I pull up my sleeve to find marks on my arm, hard to see in this light, so I figure they were just marks from my jacket against my cold pale skin. Any kind of mark will show up on your body when your as pale as I am. I lock all doors and go upstairs, plug my phone in, but keep 911 on speed dial, already open. Just in case. 
Walking around the upstairs, feeling more safe, I get undressed, take my hair down, and walk into the bathroom, wanting to shower. I turn the water on, so its warm against my body, not sending shivers down my back. I look in the mirror at my grey, soulless eyes. My lips almost purple, for it was only November, and it was fairly cold outside in the town. Again, I feel a pain in my shoulder, turning the shade up a bit on the lighting, i turn my body, back facing the mirror, my head stretched back, so I can somewhat see to my fear, a hand print, still red, on my upper right back. 
I hear the door open down stairs. Immediately I lock the bathroom door. 
"Olivia! W-where are y-you!" She was drunk with whisky. Her favorite. I only know this because its how she smelled everyday coming home from the club where she worked. 
I was still focused on the print on my back, I was afraid. I didn't know how it got their. But one thing for sure, no matter how bad it was, I was not going to show Cathy. If I did, she would overreact and call the police, or (her being drunk and all) call me crazy and say I did that too myself. I jumped in the shower, hoping this would all leak from my mind.
I get out of the shower, get dressed, and put on the fan so the steam in the bathroom would slowly disappear, And look at my back, clear, one shade of skin, no hand mark. Your just going crazy, your seeing things. I tell myself this as if it will help cool my nerves. I shake the thoughts off and concentrate on getting dressed in a bra and underwear. I toss my jeans and hoodie in the laundry basket down the hall. As i'm walking I feel a cool breeze. The window in Cathy's room was wide open. I'm not going to act like my dad did, always thinking the worst, but sadly it was the one thing he passed down to me in the genes. Staying true to myself, I realize that Cathy was so drunk she needed air. She opened the window and is in her bed. That's all it is. And anyhow, I wasn't able to play games with my head now, I could hear her breathing. She was asleep. I go into my room, trying to be quiet so I didn't unravel the wrath of Cathy, drunk AND tired. 
I slip on a pair on boy shorts and a dark purple tank, long black socks and a cami. Yea I get my style isn't so great but no one sees me this late at night so I don't really care. Being thirsty from my frightful run, I sneak down stairs for a beverage. Getting to the sink, everything seems so, unreal. Like time has stopped, grey, and dead. I grab my glass of milk, and even that, tastes like water. i hear a faint noise. Almost like a dripping. A smell follows it. As I follow the sound, I'm lead into the basement door, I open it slowly, and creep downstairs. In the basement, everything was cold and hard. I was not going to lie to myself now, I was afraid. This smell, so bitter was stained to my nose. The dripping got louder. I came to a stop at the laundry room. I hear a noise shuffle upstairs. S**t, Cathy is waking up. If Cathy finds me down here she will get upset and think i'm doing something stupid, like always. Just because the one day I asked to paint on the walls down here. There's no other purpose down here so you might as well give me something to keep myself happy, somewhat..
I open the laundry door to see Cathy, dead, cold on the dryer. Blood dripping down, and smeared on the wall. I stammer back, losing my balance, all these thoughts running threw my head but I pay no attention to any. I run to Cathy. She reeks of whisky. I move her around, pushing her body, no response. She is dead. I go to the main area of bleeding. I lift her shirt to find multiple stab wounds, deep, carving into her thin, used body. I feel tears run down my face. I try to get up, so shocked I don't feel my knees. Suddenly it hit me. Upstairs, the breathing I heard. And the noise I heard at the laundry door, it wasn't Cathy. It was someone else. They got in threw the window, and killed Cathy, but why? I started shaking. If they only wanted Cathy they would have been gone by now. They wanted me too. I was so startled, shocked, I didn't know how react. 
My first instinct was to run. Find a way out. Running upstairs I hear something in my room, I slow down, and try to be unheard, I peek inside my room, and see the same black figure before, tall and thin. He had his back to me, scavenging threw my drawers. I saw things, like books, and frames hit the ground, but no noise was made. I crept by him, but I know from the sound of his body turning, he heard me. Creeping to Cathy's open window turned to running. I didn't care anymore how much noise I made, all that mattered now was get out. The distance between the window's ledge and the grass below was merely 10 ft. It wasn't too bad if I tucked and rolled. But once I got to the window, that 10 ft, turned into 40. I didn't have a choice now, the figure was behind me. 
"You wouldn't do it. Let me make your death easier for you, come here."
"Why are you doing this! Who are you!"
"I'm just like you, unloved. Only difference is I have realized the power I hold, you have not. If you are not capable of using what you hold, then I will take it. You're worthless anyways!"
"I don't understand what your talking about!" Powers I hold? What? Was there something mom never told me? The shared scars we have? The grey eyes? No. I'm crazy, he's crazy, I'm thinking like my dad again.
At this point I turned and jumped out the window, pushing off with my feet, so he couldn't grab me from my arms, and that's when it happened. Everything below me stopped. Time felt like it slowed down, my heart rate even slowed. I felt like nothing was real, like when I heard the dripping noises of Cathy's blood. I look back, the house about 50 ft away. I felt like I was gliding. The moon shined on top of me. It felt as if it was radiating heat on my back. My back, It was so warm, but everything else was so cold. I look down at my reflection. The light from the moon over me casted my shadow. But it didn't look normal. My shadow had long, featured wings coming from the heat in my back. This explains everything. The gliding from the house, the scars that shaped feathers on my wrists, both me and my mother had, why my dad left; could he not understand my mothers power? Whatever it was, I had the powers she did. I could fly. I had wings, I looked to my side and saw these beautiful, white, wings. I felt so full of energy, like everything that id just saw, disappeared.
I didn't have to deal with everyone anymore, I was on my own, for what I thought. A light in the sky came down to me, the closer it got the more form it took, into a woman.  She was thin, tall, long hair, midnight black, like mine. The same grey eyes I had, when she was next to me, I looked at her, looked at her wrists to see this feathers, just like on mine, glowing. 
"Hello Olivia."
"Hi Mom"

Pain_and_Promise

© 2013 Pain_and_Promise


Author's Note

Pain_and_Promise
Opinions?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

:O DUDE!
You're like ten times better at writing then I am D: JEALOUS!
>.< Olivia :3 hehe, I love seeing my name in stories! xD I ish weird!
:O ANGEL!!!!
DUDE YOU SHOULD TAKE THIS SHORT STORY AND MAKE IT A BOOK!!! IT WOULD BE ABSOLUTLY AMAZING!!!! :D IM NOT EVEN KIDDING!
Dead serious ness face :I
*burst out laughing* Okay..Okay I can't be serious, but this is amazing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The Fallen

11 Years Ago

xD I know you loves me :3, I love you too :D I feelz special that you just hadd to use my name
Pain_and_Promise

11 Years Ago

XD
The Fallen

11 Years Ago

:3



Reviews

ALRIGHT! *rubs my hands together* Let's get down to business! Although, you've set the stage for that so far ahaha. Fallen, is right! This is freakin' AMAZING! All I could think while reading this was "Please let it involve angels. Angels angels angels!" And you delivered. Though, I knew you would since you're awesome! Gosh...wow, this is just...wow.
It's well written, you have some grammar mistakes, but over all it's good! I agree with Fallen, when she says that you should take this from a short story and turning it into a book. I can see this happening. You'd probably have to revise this chapter, just slightly if you wanted to do so, but not to much, mind you.
All in all fantastic! I loved it!

(By the way...this is your lovely Lauren ^.^)

Posted 11 Years Ago


I like this one. Really eerie and lends itself to an almost frightening tone. Honestly, I did not see the flying at the end coming, so I was honestly surprised. A great write.

But I can't leave without being a grammar nazi.... It's a habit. You used threw several times when you should've used through.

Aside from that one little thing, it was an excellent piece. Nice job :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Pain_and_Promise

11 Years Ago

lolo grammar nazi :), thankyou :)
Will

11 Years Ago

Haha you're welcome :)
You have a gift my friend. I agree with the others, you should add to this and write a book. It definitely has enough substance to go farther. Nice work. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Pain_and_Promise

11 Years Ago

aw thankyou! its my first story
Hey there!!! May I begin by saying that your use of imagery in this piece is ammaazziiinnnggg. I didn't just elongate that word for more points either. I meant it. I believe that you should actually take this and turn it into a book personally. Though I do have one question. Why is this called "Invisible"? I get the whole point that your main character feels like she doesn't belong and that nobody notices her but she doesn't really turn invisible. Because you chose fantasy as your genre people expect in the very beginning that she is going to be invisible or something. In the end she just has wings. I hope you undsrstand what Im saying. Other than the title this story had me hooked till the end. Very nice.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Pain_and_Promise

11 Years Ago

thanks :)
:O DUDE!
You're like ten times better at writing then I am D: JEALOUS!
>.< Olivia :3 hehe, I love seeing my name in stories! xD I ish weird!
:O ANGEL!!!!
DUDE YOU SHOULD TAKE THIS SHORT STORY AND MAKE IT A BOOK!!! IT WOULD BE ABSOLUTLY AMAZING!!!! :D IM NOT EVEN KIDDING!
Dead serious ness face :I
*burst out laughing* Okay..Okay I can't be serious, but this is amazing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The Fallen

11 Years Ago

xD I know you loves me :3, I love you too :D I feelz special that you just hadd to use my name
Pain_and_Promise

11 Years Ago

XD
The Fallen

11 Years Ago

:3

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

205 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 21, 2013
Last Updated on March 21, 2013

Author

Pain_and_Promise
Pain_and_Promise

Ontario, Ridgeway, Canada



About
I'm not perfect but i'm trying. Life doesn't give you second chances. If you treat me like a choice, i will treat you like an option. more..