Deliver Me Safely - Chapter Two

Deliver Me Safely - Chapter Two

A Story by ~AnnaCentric~
"

So the journey begins...

"

Deliver Me Safely

Chapter Two

 

 

      The sun shines in Leon’s face early the next morning. His eyes flutter open. He sits up and reviews his surroundings. Then he remembers where he was and why. He slips out of the bed, opens the wooden door, and peers outside. Everything is as it had been the day before. Wasting no time, Leon dresses in a new leather outfit that he finds in one of the drawers. Valere is waiting for him when he walks out of the room.

      “You’re up early,” Leon comments.

      “I always am,” Valere answers.

He hands Leon a sword.

      “You’ll need that,” he tells Leon.

      Leon regards him and takes the sword. He unsheathes it; it looks shiny and new. Satisfied, he smiles and puts it back in its sheath. The two men walk to the main entrance hall, to the door of the Cardinal’s room. Etienne is standing there. The priest is smiling at them.

      “I trust you had a good night’s sleep,” he states, looking at Leon.

Leon inclines his head. There is a moment of silence.

      “So, do you know the way to Bonarame?” Leon questions, staring at Etienne.

      “Not I,” Etienne admits. “but there is one who can lead us there.”

      “Who?”

Etienne and Valere share a look.

 

      At the edge of town, a middle-aged man is hammering hot iron into the shape of a sword. His head is bald, and he wears a thin coat of armor. Leon approaches him casually. When the man doesn’t notice him, he whistles. The bald man looks up, and when he sees Leon standing there he greets him with a grin.

      “Hello. What can I do for you?” he says, “Do you wish for me to forge a sword for you?”

     “No thank you. I have something else in mind.” Leon tells him.

      “Anything you need, I will provide.”

Leon takes this to heart.

      “There is word that you know the way to Bonarame. The monastery that lies outside of town.”

       “Oh, yes, I know the path well. I’ve come across it while moving here from Nice.”

       “Would you be willing to lead the way there?” Leon asks, “I am in need of a guide.”

The bald man puts his hand on his chin.

       “I suppose so,” he hums. “For what reason do you go to Bonarame?”

      “Well,” Leon starts. “the Cardinal of the Church has recommended that I deliver the Black Witch there. We are convinced that the monks can end the Plague.”

The man’s eyes widen, taken aback. He doesn’t seem to know how to respond. He merely nods to Leon in agreement.

      “Excellent!” Leon exclaims. “I will leave at noontime today. Pack whatever it is you will need for the journey. Understand?”

The man inclines his hand slowly. Leon turns his back. He takes a step forward. Then the bald man stops him.

      “By the way, my name is Antoine.” he proclaims. “Antoine Guinard.”

      “Leon.”

 

      About an hour before leaving time, Leon visits the dungeon. He holds a lantern in one hand and carefully makes it down in flight of stairs. His attention turns to the first cell on the left. He remembers how the witch had been the day before, and expects it would be much of the same. He searches the cell and finds the witch sitting near the far wall, her head down. She is humming something to herself, perhaps an old children’s song. She doesn’t look up at the light which illuminates her cell. His mouth opens, but nothing comes out. He is still thinking through about what he wants to say. The witch stops humming.

      “Why have you come?” she interrogates without looking up. “To insult me? To beat me?”

      “Neither,” he acknowledges.

When the witch recognizes Leon’s voice, she rotates around to face him. She gives him a light smile. Again, Leon has the feeling of admiration.

      “I have come to visit you is all. To make conversation.”

The witch lets out a low sigh, and her smile disappears.

      “With me? Have you a reason? No one in the right mind would take pleasure in prating with a witch.”

      “So you are one? You are a witch?”

      Now the witch leers at Leon. Her eyes are tired, dark patches lay under her eyelids. The expression on her face is blank, emotionless. She offers no response. Leon leans in closer.

      “Well?” he voices. “You are a witch, yes?”

      Her blank expression worries him. It gives him the impression that she won’t answer him. Then she turns her back to him. He waits for a moment to see if she faces him again.

      “Thank you for delivering me,” She mumbles, without turning around.

      “Why thank me?” Leon asks her, “Do you know the penalty if you are found guilty of witchcraft?”

      Bien sûr, je le fais, of course I do. But there are…things that I must have done there.”

      “Such as?”

      “You wouldn’t understand.” The girl answers.

Shrugging, Leon leaves the dungeon.

 

      Etienne notices Leon once he steps out into the open. He approaches Leon.

      “You went down there?” he questions curiously.

      “Yes,” Leon affirms.

      “What did she say to you?”

      “Nothing.”

      “Nothing at all?”

      “Nothing.”

 

      At noontime, the witch is transferred from her cell in the dungeon to a portable cage. Iron bars vertically line the sides of it. Leon meets up with Antoine; Etienne and Valere wait for their return. Valere peers into the cage, where the witch stares right at him. Her glare doesn’t bother him. Then Leon and Antoine come into view. Antoine throws a large sack onto the top of the cage, where more bags sit on top.

      “Is everyone ready?” Leon asks, looking around to be sure. None of them speak up.

      “All right, then. Let’s get going.”

© 2012 ~AnnaCentric~


Author's Note

~AnnaCentric~
what can I do better on

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

214 Views
Added on September 26, 2012
Last Updated on September 27, 2012
Tags: monastery, witch, accused, adventure

Author

~AnnaCentric~
~AnnaCentric~

Cameron Park, CA



About
I've been interested in writing since my sophomore year of high school. My topics of writing normally circle around Europe in the 13-1400's (at the time of the Black Death), but lately I've been dippi.. more..

Writing
Kyoto Kyoto

A Poem by ~AnnaCentric~