Hello Stephen

Hello Stephen

A Story by Anomander
"

Second Life is a popular virtual reality game, but Stephen Merrick isn't playing for fun.

"
Hello Stephen

‘Hello Stephen. Who do you want to be today?’
The soft female voice rattled his headset. Cursing, he knocked it with the palm of his hand and pressed the reset button. The screen flickered and entered the loading screen as a colourful disk span in the void ahead of him. ‘Come on... Come onnn.’ A test tone hummed followed by a pause before Georgie flickered back into existence.
‘Hello Stephen. Who do you want to be today?’
‘Ah ha,’ Steve Merrick adjusted the mask. ‘Georgie! There you are...’ The Assist was as clear as a fresh install, the homepage, however, was scrambled; something was glitching. ‘Goddamnit.’ He banged the headset. This was a P600 Mark 2, an entry VR set, but it shouldn’t be flaking out like this. He drew in a deep breath. ‘Hello Georgie. Same as always my good friend. Same. As. Always. Boot up Callum Benedict.’
‘Of course’ The Assist waved her hand as if casting a spell.
The system initialised, contracting the mask and pressing the neural pads firmly against his skull. A wave of nausea washed over him. His awareness of the outside world began to diminish as the mask - previously uncomfortable and tight against his face - became less and less noticeable. Soon, he knew, he’d have forgotten the headset altogether. It was like waking up from a deep slumber, then taking several minutes to recognise what was real and what was the dream. Only in this case, it was in reverse. Reality interwove with the simulation like teeth on a zip. Soon, they became one and the same thing.
His body morphed into a cloud of flying pixels then reconvened in a new, but familiar, form. It had been quite some time since he’d created his Extra Life avatar, but the thrill of becoming Callum Benedict was as exciting now as it ever had been. He stretched his hands out in front of him and wiggled his fingers as if playing a floating piano. No sensation yet, but that was normal. It took several seconds for the nerves to align with the programme. He stretched out his arms and legs, no feeling there either.
‘Georgie, time?’
‘It is fourteen thirty two and thirty two seconds.’
‘Goddamn it…’ he shook his hands to speed up the alignment. ‘Come on… come onnn.’ At first it was the tip of his nose, but soon his toes and fingers began to tingle with an oddly pleasant sensation. A feeling he would normally relish, but not today. There wasn’t time.
The 360 degree menu that wrapped around his avatar dropped away, revealing a generation point designed to resemble his office. But, as with most things in Extra Life, it was enhanced: a vintage Fender Stratocaster hung from the wall; a collection of classic paintings hung from another; a prodigious mahogany desk complemented by an extravagant reading light and tropical table plants, stretched out across the room. ‘Welcome to Extra Life, Callum’ The Assist beamed. ‘System is booting. Please remain seated while…’
Steve pulled himself out of the chair and lunged for the door. He stumbled, knocking the guitar from it’s hook. ‘Callum, please remain still while system is booting.’
‘Sorry Georgie’ His legs trembled like a newborn calf’s. ‘No time today, gotta go.’ He lurched, bouncing into the desk before steadying himself and stumbling outside. Georgie’s repeated warnings followed him. ‘Callum, please remain still while…’
He burst out of the apartment into the dazzling sunshine. The magnificent golden sands stretched out before him; the deep blue ocean sparkled like a bed of soaking wet diamonds caught in the sun; seagulls circled high above the palm trees as sea salt aromas filled his nostrils, but he barely noticed. Such sights of beauty were no more than he had come to expect from this world.
He turned the corner from his apartment and ran at full speed to the adjacent garage, swiped his hand down the identity strip next to the roller doors and waited for the light to turn blue. ‘Cadillac’ he said to the glowing screen as beads of sweat began to drip down his face. He’d often wondered why touches like this were included in Extra Life. Was perspiration really necessary? He supposed it was adding to the realism, but still, it seemed a bit pointless.
‘Hello Callum', replied a voice ‘What vehicle would you like today?’
‘I said a Cadillac.’
'What model Cadillac would you like today?'
'Any of them, doesn’t matter. Just a Cadillac. Or any car, I don’t care'
'What model Cadillac would you like today?'
'Just, any of them'
A pause. 'What model Cadillac would you like today?'
'Oh for god’s… OK. A urr, a DeVille. A Cadillac Deville.'
The screen glowed red for a moment before returning to a blue light. 'You do not have the required EL credits for a Cadillac DeVille. Please select a different vehicle.'
'You’re serious? OK fine, I really don’t care. A cheap car. Just anything that you have.'
Another pause. 'What model vehicle would you like today?'
'Anything! OK, fine. A Ford, ummm, a Ford Focus.'
'You do not have the required EL credits for a Ford…'
'D****t, fine! A Nova, a Vauxhall Nova.'
'You do not have the required EL credits…'
'What? Well what can I afford?'
'Today, Callum, you cannot afford any vehicles.'
'I can’t… any of them? For Christ’s... What time is it?'
'The time is fourteen thirty eight and twenty two seconds.' The Assist had barely finished talking before Steve was out of earshot. He raced across the road towards the buzzing high street and took a sharp turn down an alleyway, adjacent to the main flow of people. Maintaining a steady pace, he pushed through the scattered crowds. 'Sorry, coming through, pardon me….'
Given a moment to process them, he’d be able to tell which of the pedestrians were avatars and which were bots, dotted throughout the world to maintain authenticity. There were many things that EL projected perfectly: the smells, the tastes, the numerous objects, items and structures; but something about the people was a little less convincing. Visually, they were indistinguishable from the real thing, but the way they spoke and the dull, lifeless look that permeated their gaze gave them away. He supposed it was due to familiarity. Humans interact with other humans so regularly they are hypersensitive to things that seem amiss. It was hard to trick someone into believing they were talking to a real person, when in fact, they weren’t. Extra Life wasn’t perfect, but it was close.
He cut down a small alley which lead to the market. Up ahead, he could see the top of the Cotery Plaza sticking out above a crowd that swarmed around a nearby stand. Panic started to set in. He wasn’t going to make it on time.
'The finest fish you’ll ever taste!' called a voice 'The only place to find fresh fish from every corner of the world. Freshly caught from Japan! India! USA! Wherever you like, it’s here.' his path was blocked as the crowd swelled. 'Come on in,’ continued the man ‘take a look. Breathe in the ocean air!'
'Pardon me, ‘scuse me, sorry…' Steve zig zagged through the press of people. The market was incredible. Numerous stalls offered things that wouldn’t be found in the real world. At least, not all in one place. Some sold wild animals such as tigers, monkeys and snakes. Others sold precious stones and ornate jewelry. One stand proudly displayed the Mona Lisa next to Rodin’s The Thinker and promised access to any masterpiece the buyer could imagine. The marketplace had nothing if not variety.
‘Hey, steady there fella!’ Someone called as he pushed past. He lifted his arms to his chest, using his elbows as bumpers. It seemed to be working, but the shouts of protest were growing in intensity.
‘Sorry. Really sorry, so… sorry.’
After ten minutes of dodging, barging, jogging and running, Clear View Tower came into view. The breathtaking shard of chrome reached out of the city and scraped the clouds. Outside of the simulation, it would be considered a new wonder of the modern world, but here in EL, it was just another astounding building, as breath-taking and awe-inspiring as the last one.
He ran to its base and touched the blue screen. ‘145, Callum Benedict’ he said, gasping for breath. The panel flashed green, the door opened and he walked inside. Seconds later, Steve Merrick stepped out onto the 145th floor of Clear View Tower. The silence and speed of the glass lift unnerved and thrilled him in equal parts. How could something move so fast without turning his stomach or bending his knee during its rapid ascent? Another wonder of Extra Life that was easy to take for granted.
He reached for the blue screen to the side of the door, then stopped, hand shaking. Come on Steve, get a grip. Repeatedly, he clenched and unclenched his fist, trying to steady the adrenaline. Drawing in a deep breath, he swiped the screen.
‘Hey. It’s me. Are you there?’
No reply.
The panel pulsated. No flicker, no change of colour, no noise. He tried again. ‘Hey. Are you… Are you still here? Tell me you’re still here!’
The silence in the hallway grew louder. A few seconds stretched out for a what seemed like a lifetime and he knew he was too late. Chagrined, he turned from the door. How, despite the numerous possibilities this world offered, had he managed to be late? An idiot in the real world, he bemoaned, is no less an idiot in here.
Something disturbed the air. A sudden swish of atmosphere; a door opening. He turned. A hand reached out, grabbed him roughly by the collar and pulled him through. Instantly, he was up against a wall. He barely had a chance to react before her body was pressed against his. She clamped her hands to his face and kissed him with insatiable hunger. For the briefest of moments he resisted, but as she pushed tighter, he began to gather his bearings. Gently, slowly, he wrapped his arms around her waist. The feel of her heaving chest sent a rush of excitement through his body. She took his wrists and pinned them to the wall, kissing him with urgency; their lips parting for the occasional giggle. As desire took hold he overpowered her, forcing his hands free and taking her into his arms, one around her waist the other at the nape of her neck. They crossed the room in a clumsy embrace. Without taking his lips from hers, he kicked open a second door and they stumbled through. Lifting her by her waist, he flung her onto the bed. Laughing, she sat up and beckoned him closer.
‘Come here’ She grinned from ear to ear. ‘You’re late.’

*
The room was surrounded by glass.
Three huge windows stretched from the floor to the ceiling revealing an aerial view of the city which was nothing short of breath taking. Steve let it sink in. Up until the last few minutes he had been, somewhat, distracted.
‘So…’ Bella said dreamily, spread out across the white sheets, ‘Why were you late? I was supposed to log out twenty minutes ago. I don’t know why I waited.’
‘Hmm, I think you do.’ He sunk into the pillow with his hands behind his head and flexed his muscles, bouncing his pecs to the rhythm of an imaginary song.
‘Well there was that. I suppose.’ She traced her finger from his lips to his chest. ‘I thought you weren’t coming. What made you late?’
‘I’m sorry, I misjudged things a bit’
‘Is that right?’ she said, smirking, ‘“Misjudged”?’
‘Yeah, I lost track of time. It took me longer to log on than I’d thought, then getting across town took ages.’
‘You didn’t drive? You looked like you’d run a marathon when you got here. You were all red and sweaty. Aww don’t pull that face, it’s OK. I like it when you’re sweaty’.
‘I just didn’t fancy driving.’
‘You didn’t fancy it?’
‘Yeah, just thought I’d walk. Is that so weird?’ A raised eyebrow and a smile told him it was, but she didn’t mind. ‘Anyway’ he said, moving the subject on, ‘I went to that market before coming round here. The one that’s been trending on the billboards, thought I’d check it out.’
‘And you decided to run around it when you got there?’
‘Yeah, well no, I mean, I ran to it and from it.’
‘Right. Of course you did. Makes perfect sense to me. I mean everyone jogs at the market, right? Nothing insane about that.’
He laughed, ‘I just didn’t fancy driving, OK? Why all the questions?’
‘Fine’ she held up her hands in surrender ‘who am I to say you’re odd?’
‘Odd?’ He feigned shock. ‘Darling, I have no idea what you mean.’ Without taking his eyes from hers, he scooped up his discarded shoe from beside the bed and began to seductively lick its sole. She burst into laughter.
‘Oh my god that’s gross!’ She moved to swipe the shoe away, but wasn’t fast enough. He caught her wrist, pulled her across his body and rolled on top of her in a single motion. ‘Hey!! You dirty b*****d, stop being so gro…..’ He kissed her, cutting off her protestations. She pulled free, laughing. ‘Don’t kiss me with that mouth, oh my god, you’re so gross. I can’t believe you just did that.’
‘Did what?’ He kissed her again. This time she let it linger before pushing him away. ‘To be fair though,’ he said, rolling back to his side of the bed. ‘it’s not like there’s any dirt on the ground. I could lick a trail from my gen point to yours without picking up a single cell of bacteria. Even the bits that look dirty. They’re just designed like that to add realism. Incredible. We’re living in a catalogue.’
‘Living in?’ she said.
‘OK, visiting. But you know what I mean? It’s utopia. Truly incredible if you think about it. A world without crime; impossible to break the law. Amazing. It could be considered a nanny state, I suppose. But I’m not complaining. No criminals. No homeless people. You don’t even get disabled people taking the good parking spots and making everyone feel sorry for them, you know what I mean?’ He laughed and glanced at Bella who didn’t react, seeming to have tuned out of the conversation altogether. She was motionless, staring across the cityscape at the setting sun. He followed her gaze. The sky was turning orange, as it always did at this time. Flecks of red light were catching on the sparse, wispy clouds turning the hemisphere into a painted canvas that even the most accomplished artist would be proud of creating. It was as breathtaking as it was epic, something he could never take for granted.
‘What are we doing?’ The words left her mouth as barely more than a whisper.
‘Well, I think it’s called “post-coital chit-chat” my lovely.’
Her reply was so loud and sudden, it made him jump. ‘No Callum, I mean this. You and me.’ She seemed surprised by her own vehemence and softened her tone. ‘I just mean, us. Doing this. We’re not messing around, are we?’
‘I’m not. Are you?’
She ignored his question. ‘You say that every time, but this feels real. You and me. Completely real. More than anything I’ve ever felt… outside of here. Outside of this… place. I told you I love you and I bloody meant it you know? I mean it every time.’
‘I know, and I mean it when I…’
‘Just shut up a minute will you? You’re not… it’s just.’ Bella paused. ‘Is this real? What we have? Or is this just some sort of game?’
Steve knew where the conversation was heading, they’d been here before. ‘It’s real for me. And if it’s real for you, that’s all that matters. As long as we have this place then we have each other.’
‘And your wife?’
There it was, he knew this was coming. The words hung in the air like a clap of thunder. ‘Look, I’ve told you again and again, I love you. What we have is incredible. Sure, we have lives outside, but that shouldn’t make any difference. I mean why should it? They’re two totally different things.’
‘But do they have to be?’ Bella said, ‘two different things? It’s horrible, knowing you’re going back to her each day. She’s the one you made a commitment to, not me. You say these amazing things, but come on, you still love her.’
‘Hey now…’
‘Well you do, don’t you?’
He took a deep breath. ‘Well…’
‘For god’s sake, can you just give me a straight answer?’
‘Look, it’s completely different and you know it. You’re talking like we’ve never had this conversation before, but you’re married. You have a husband. It’s not like I’m sneaking around while you go back to an empty home. We both knew what we were getting into.’
‘The difference is, I say I want you, not him. He's a jobless deadbeat. God knows how I ended up being his bank instead of his wife. I want you, not him and that makes things a lot simpler. You just dodge the question every time she’s brought up and don’t think I haven’t noticed. If you said we should meet up outside, then I would.’
Steve leant back into the headboard and ran his hands through his hair. ‘Why do you want things to change? Everything is perfect. We’ve literally just been saying how amazing this world is and you’re talking about meeting up out there.’
‘And why can’t we have both? Is it impossible to be together all the time, not just while we’re playing this game? Cause that’s what it is Callum, even if you won’t admit it, it’s a bloody game.’ He winced at the name but hid it well. Hiding things was becoming second nature to him. After a moment, she took a different approach.
‘Is she the problem, or is it you? You don’t want to leave your wife. OK, fine, I get that. But I think it’s more about you. Isn’t it?’
‘How so?’
‘You’re scared of showing me the real you. You think that when I see you out there, I’ll be disappointed?’
He smirked ‘Well come on, there’s got to be some truth to that. I mean, I’ll give you a clue, I don’t look like this.’
‘You think I look like this?’ She flicked back her hair and fluttered her unnaturally long eyelashes. ‘If we meet, we can decide for ourselves. I didn’t fall for you because of your body. Everyone in this place looks like a catalogue model, no offence, but in here you don’t look any better than the next guy. I fell for you because you’re fun, you’re caring, you’re thoughtful. You make me laugh when I need to and whenever any of the s**t in the real world is bringing me down, you make me feel better.’ She pulled him closer. ‘I want you in here, out there, now, later, all the time.’ She turned his head to face her. ‘Besides,’ she said, still holding his cheek. ‘This place isn’t going anywhere.’
They lay together for a short while longer. Having reached a temporary conclusion, the unresolved conversation would be continued another day.
A voice permeated the bedroom walls ‘Bella, your session is expiring. Thank you for visiting.’
‘Well then.’ She said, ‘Time to say goodbye, again.’
‘I guess so.’ He sat up resting his arms on his knees. ‘Are you still ok for tomorrow?’
‘Sure.’ She sat on the edge of the bed ‘You know what? I keep telling him the same stupid reason for disappearing each time and he believes me, he’s never questioned it once. I say “I’m off to another work leaving do with Janice”. I mean, I have no idea how many people must have left by now. He must think it’s a mass exodus, everyone’s abandoning ship. And who knows anyone called Janice?’ She pulled a t-shirt over her head and tied up her hair. Both pointless exercises, he thought absentmindedly, when you’re seconds away from exiting. ‘I’m not sure why I do it.’ She continued, ‘Maybe, deep down, I want him to find out. I wonder if he knows already?’ She walked to the nearest blue panel and turned to face him. ‘I love you. You massive idiot.’
‘I love you too, you... dick.’
She smiled and shook her head. ‘Oh Cal.’ She waved her hand over the glowing screen and disappeared.
He continued to stare where she had been; her static image imprinted on his mind. EL was an incredible place but everytime she logged out, the excitement disappeared with her. Take the sparkle from the diamond and you’re left with a stone.
He drew back the covers, climbed out of bed and swiped his hand on the panel. ‘Assist. Close Callum Benedict session.’
The screen flashed and the omnipotent voice echoed around the room, ‘Callum, your session is ending. Thank you for visiting Extra Life. Goodbye.’
The sensation of exiting was bizarre and unnerving. Something he’d never been able to get used to. His eyes were forced closed as colourful, soft edged shapes blurred his vision. Gravity was set loose and allowed to behave however it wished as he plunged into freefall, seeming to travel in every direction and nowhere, all at once.

*

He was staring at a white wall. There was a wooden shelf, lined with books and trinkets, leaning at a precarious angle, threatening to cast its content to the floor. A picture hung above it. Two people. A smartly dressed couple. One in white the other in black. They were smiling into the camera. Locked together in such a close embrace it looked as if they were about to topple over.
Familiarity crept in.
He looked around. There was an old acoustic guitar to his right, held to the wall with a clip. To his left, there was a desk. Large and untidy, covered with old mugs, paperwork and discarded food wrappers. In the centre sat a machine no bigger than a shoe box. LEDs blinked as it whirred and hummed. A cable protruded from the side. He followed it with his eyes along the desk, across the floor and to a headset in his lap, of which he’d suddenly became aware. He realised he was clasping it so tightly it shook under the strain. Where was he? The sense of confusion felt, somehow, familiar. This often happens, he knew. I’m waking up.
Then, as if being doused with cold water mid-way through an afternoon doze, he snapped into lucidity. He was home.
He reached for the machine but his his belt strap pulled him back, he wasn’t able to move. Instead, he released the lock on his wheelchair, span around and rolled up to the desk. He powered down the machine, gathered the cables and headset together then placed them into the box before locking it away into the desk drawer.
There was an indescribable greyness to reality. It seemed like a filter had been applied to his vision, removing the world’s natural fluorescence. Colours, detail, all that was beautiful was somehow dulled. Through the window, grey clouds covered the sky. They had no shape, no definition, just a blanket of amorphic matter, like a ceiling of stone. He maneuvered his chair to the door and placed his finger on the sensor. The lock mechanism whirred as the LEDs turned from red to green. The door slid aside and he rolled into the hallway, locking the door behind him.
He looked at his watch. Five thirty on the dot; Anna should be home in around one hour, so he needn’t rush. The first ten or fifteen minutes after coming out of EL were disorientating. As unnatural as jumping from one reality to the next was, he was starting to get used to it.
His legs began to tingle. What started as a mild case of pins and needles soon grew into an intense burning which abated a few seconds later. A consequence of the body remembering which limbs it has and which it doesn’t; outside of EL, it was the only time he’d felt anything below the knee in many years.
He reached the kitchen and called out ‘coffee’ to the barista machine before opening the fridge door. There must be something in here? He thought as the beans began to grind and the water bubbled. I’m sure there was a sandwich from yesterday that I...
‘Dad?’
He spun around. ‘Oh wow, Faye. You made me jump.’
‘Me?’ she reached across him and grabbed a can from the fridge. ‘I’ve been home for hours, were you in the office?’
‘Oh, you have? Sorry yeah. I’ve been working on my stuff so, you know?’
‘Mmm’. She took a seat at the table and sipped at the drink. ‘You making food tonight?’
‘That’s the plan. Your mother should be home in not too long. Any idea what you want? Speak now or forever hold your peace.’
She didn’t reply. Instead she stared at her drink, or perhaps, straight through it. ‘You know, dad’ She said without looking up ‘if you like, I could get going tonight. I could go see Amy and Jaya, they’re hanging out this evening, so no problem.’
‘Oh’ he said ‘You want to go see your friends?’
‘Well sure. I mean, I’d like to see them, but thought maybe you and mum could have a bit of time without me.’
He closed the fridge and focussed on his daughter. ‘Faye. That’s very thoughtful, but no need to make yourself scarce.’
‘Dad!’ She stared at him, exasperated. ‘I can see what’s going on. You and her need to talk. I mean really talk. Something’s off, it has been for ages.’
He faltered. ‘Faye.’
‘No dad, listen to me!’ her eyes began to glisten. ‘Why are you just letting this happen? Don’t you care? Each night it’s the same. We sit round the table, you talk to me and never to each other. You think I haven’t noticed? I should leave you two alone tonight.’
‘Listen Faye, your mother and I…’ He was disarmed by his daughter’s eyes. She stared at him, searching for clues, taking note of each micro expression. ‘I’m working on it. OK?’
‘You’re working on it?’ She raised her eyebrows. ‘Is that what you’ve been doing in your office? Working on it?’
‘Well, yes. Kind of... Look Faye, I can see you’re concerned, but we’ll be fine. OK? Absolutely fine? I love your mother very much.’
After a moment she said ‘I know you do dad, but it’s not you I’m worried about’ then stood up and walked out of the room, leaving her drink. Calling over her shoulder, she said ‘I’ll be at Amy’s.’ He didn’t have time to reply before the front door closed.

*

By six thirty, the dining room was transformed. The trestle table - normally covered in old mugs and paperwork - was draped in the cream linen tablecloth reserved for special occasions and, as such, had rarely seen the light of day. The cutlery and crockery was on the table - a level of preparation that was completely new to Steve - and the smell of beef bourguignon wafted from the kitchen. He surveyed the scene. It looked good, but something was missing. The table seemed... cold. He disappeared into the living room and reemerged with a candelabra. He placed it in the centre of the table, lit the wicks and rolled his wheelchair back to see how it looked. Ridiculous. He thought. Utterly ridiculous. It looks like I’m on a date with Count Dracula. There must be a normal candle? He took the candelabra by the base, but as he turned, one of the candlesticks came loose and fell into his lap. ‘D****t!’ He cursed as he repeatedly swatted his crotch. The flame extinguished and smoke began to rise just as a voice sounded behind him.
‘Steve?’
He spun the chair around, candlestick smouldering. ‘Oh… Anna, hi…’
‘What’s all this?’ Her expression lay somewhere between confused and amused. Neither were the reaction he was looking for.
‘This? Just thought I’d put some food together. Hungry?’
Ten minutes later, Steve, with the bourguignon balanced on his lap tray, wheeled up to the table and placed the dish in the centre beside the re-erected candelabra. The situation felt strange and unfamiliar. Had it been that long since he’d made a proper meal for his wife? Not since the accident, probably, which was over ten years ago. Lots had changed since then.
‘I can’t promise it’s going to taste great’. He said with a tentative grin. ‘In fact, I can’t promise it’s going to taste at all. So, salt’s there if you need it.’
‘Thanks’ she said, sprinkling some on her food. They ate silently. After a while she put down her cutlery and looked at him. ‘What’s this all about Steve? No, don’t pull that expression. What’s going on? Why all the effort?’
‘I just thought we should spend some time together. We don’t do this very often and I thought it would be nice.’
‘Nice?’
‘Yeah, nice’
‘Did Faye tell you to do this?’
‘Ah,’ He shifted in his chair. ‘Well I suppose she did. Yes. But I agreed it would be nice. Is that so bad?’
‘No’. She took a large sip of wine then continued to eat. It was another few minutes before Steve spoke.
‘I know things are different these days and I’m not quite the same guy I used to be. But deep down inside, nothing’s changed. You know that, right?’ She looked at him but said nothing. ‘I just remember how effortless things used to be. You know what I mean?’
‘What are you talking about Stephen?’
‘I mean’ he fumbled for the words, ‘It’s just. I know I can make you happy.’
‘I really don’t know…’
‘OK, happier then. I know I can, I just want you to bear with me. Alright?’
‘You’re talking rubbish Steve, I have no idea…;
‘Please LISTEN!’ Before he was able to stop himself, he’d brought his fist down on the table. The plates clinked and the candles wobbled. ‘You know exactly what I’m talking about. You and Faye. You’re the only two people that matter and I want to make sure you’re both happy.’
She stared at him for what seemed like an eternity, her eyes wide with sympathy. Finally, she said ‘Yes, of course’ and turned her attention back to the meal.
After dinner, they cleared the table and rearranged the room. ‘Fancy a stiff one before bed?’ He grinned, withdrawing a bottle of whiskey from the cupboard. ‘I heard it helps with sleep?’
If she recognised the innuendo, she didn’t react. ‘No, I should keep a clear head for tomorrow. Thanks though.’ Before he could reply, she was gone.
He poured himself a glass, keeping an eye on the door. But after an hour had passed and she hadn’t reappeared, he put away the now almost empty bottle and made his way to the bedroom.
He was awake for some time, lying in the dark, staring at the ceiling and somehow aware that she was doing the same. The gulf between them never seemed greater than now. Close enough to hear each other’s breath, yet he knew if he ventured his hand to hers she would shrink away. It was one final rejection he couldn’t risk. Instead, he waited and waited until, finally, he slept.

*

A bang woke him. He sat up to see Anna, fully dressed, picking up the makeup mirror from the floor.
‘Sorry, I didn’t mean to wake you.’
‘It’s OK’ he said, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. ‘You’re up early.’
‘Yes.’ She said, checking her hair in the mirror. ‘It’ll be early starts all this week. Listen, I’ll be back late tonight so don’t worry about making food.’
‘Right you are. Anything nice?’
‘Nothing much. Just another leaving do.’
‘Oh, another one?’
‘Yeah, that’s right. Another one. I'm going with Janice. Should be fun.’
‘Wow, really?’ He said, feigning surprise. ‘There’ll be no one there but you soon. It’s a mass exodus, everyone’s abandoning ship.’
With one foot through the door, she turned to him. Something similar to confusion flashing in her eyes. Immediately he regretted playing with her story, it was like playing with fire. If the wind changed everything could go up in flames. Her mouth formed the start of a word, but, seeming to change her mind, it never made it past her lips. Instead, she smiled and said ‘Bye Steve’ then walked out. He listened to her footsteps retreating down the hallway and waited for the click of the front door.
‘See you soon.’
The morning passed in a blur. He tidied the house and sorted through the mess of paperwork that littered his office. The pile of bills, subscription contracts and letters from the doctor seemed to never end. By lunchtime, however, they were catalogued and filed away. It had never been an attractive room. It was functional and that was all it was ever meant to be. He hadn’t felt the need to decorate. It was for working or logging in to Extra Life, so, he wondered, why bother? Besides, as soon as he booted up EL the room would immediately became a stunning work environment which he had no hope of replicating in real life. There was one picture, however, that kept pride of place, hung on its own in the centre of the wall, just in front of his desk. It was the last thing he looked at before logging on, and usually, the first thing he’d see after logging out. They looked so young. He, in his best suit, and her, in her wedding dress. Standing together in a joyful embrace, as in love with each other as nature would allow. Stephen Lee Merrick and Annabella Shaw - Just Married. The words were written in a frilly pink heart to the bottom right of the image. He remembered disliking the picture when it was first given to them, it seemed overly sentimental, soppy. But now, he wouldn’t change it for the world.
He unlocked the desk drawer and removed the box containing the console. Logging on had become a ritual. He booted up the system, adjusted the mask and positioned the neural sensors at the correct points around his head.
Georgie appeared.
‘Hello Stephen. Who do you want to be today?’
‘Hi Georgie’ He said, securing the belt buckle on his chair ‘Load up current account. What’s the status?’
‘Your current account contains one hundred and twenty three pounds exactly. How would you like to proceed?’
He closed his eyes and drew in a deep breath. ‘Transfer to Extra Life account.’
‘How much would you like to transfer, Stephen?’
‘All of it. Transfer it all to my EL account.’
‘Sure. Preparing to move one hundred and twenty three pounds from your current account to the Extra Life account. Please confirm transfer.’
‘Confirmed.’
‘Thank you. Your transfer is confirmed. ’ The backdrop disappeared leaving only Georgie visible. ‘Hello Stephen. Who would you like to be today?’
‘Same as always Georgie. Same. As. Always. Load up Callum Benedict.’
‘Of course’ the Assist waved her hand, casting her spell.
‘And Georgie? Can you make me look especially good today? I'm going on a date.’

© 2020 Anomander


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

25 Views
Added on February 3, 2020
Last Updated on February 3, 2020
Tags: Virtual reality, futuristic, sci-fi, romance, VR, drama, love story

Author

Anomander
Anomander

Brighton, EAST SUSSEX, United Kingdom