Unexpected Guest

Unexpected Guest

A Story by SilentVoice

The mist shimmered over the long blades of grass. The tall dark trees had become a crystal glow and leaves floated around them. The sun's golden rays bounced off the frosted leaves which crunched beneath her old tattered boots as she walked through the silence off the wood. Every twig that snapped and leaf that rustled echoed through the emptiness. The cold breeze sent a shiver down her spine and her finger tips were now blue and purple. The cold was now her only enemy to fight until they would find her.

 

Her hair was dark and long. It hang over her shoulder in a messy plait, which was falling out. Her clothes were shabby. A sharp pointed dagger hung from her belt which  held up her blood splattered trousers. Her eyes dark emerald green, glowing like gems never lost of her surroundings. Her small brown backpack jingled and clanked the odd time as she walked.

 

She was alone. Well that's what she was thinking before three distinct howls filled the pine scented air around her. She recognised each one individually. High pitched but fierce was the golden brown female, loud and thunderous was the dark alpha male and the soft musical one was the youngster. A small snow white ball of fur with dashes of black and grey filtering through it. She had been studying them for years but now the hunter became the hunted.

 

She scrambled up a tree for refuge and sat in the crook of a large branch. From above she could see a clear view of the woods around her. She stayed sitting with her back against the tree trunk. She took out her flask and sipped the water she had got in the river a day or two ago. It was running low and she didn't know where the nearest water source lay.

 

Darkness suddenly grasped the woods and the eerie moon replaced the sun. The wood was nothing but a danger zone as everything can to life now.

 

Before drifting off to sleep, she secured herself to the branch with ropes and pulled a small blanket over her even though it didn't make much of a difference as she shivered herself to sleep.

 

While she was in the land of dreams, the wood's creatures were on the move. The trees, dark and almost invisible in the night, swayed silently with only a gently whoosh now and again. Nothing lived in the trees, no chirping birds, no biting insects and no little squirrels. Vicious wild cats and wolves prowled below and the odd deer gracefully galloped around the undergrowth.

 

Once dawn came, she packed up her things and slid down the tree.

 

A couple of hours later she came upon a small wooden door between two roots of an old oak tree. The door was covered in patches of moss and bits of writing were visible. Some wizardry of some sort.

 

She ventured inside the door and pulled the old rusted iron handle towards her. The door creaked open and revealed a dark dusty room filled with books and a large round table was set in the centre.

 

She stepped in slowly and cautiously, not knowing what to expect but her curiosity drove her to go on. She took a book, with spine ripping and pages all dog-eared, off one of the shelves and blew the dusk off the cover.

 

She recognised the writing on the cover and opened thee leather cover on the table. Numerous witchery and wizardry spells filled the pages in dark shining ink. Letters beautifully linked together like a thread running into the next stitch.

 

As she read through the spells the door suddenly swung on its hinges and slammed itself closed. It rattled as she tried to open it but it wouldn't budge. After trying to open the heavy door and failing she felt her way around the room and successfully light some candles.

 

A low whimper came from under the table. Unsure whether it was human or not she very gently knelt down beside the table. Red eyes flickered back at her and she jumped back in shock. She had stumbled upon someone's lair who cared for the wolves.

 

A dark nose surrounded by white and whiskers peeped around to where she sat hunched up in a corner. It took a small step forward sniffing the ground then towards the girl. She had watched the young wolf from a distance but now he didn't seem like a little ball of fur but a strong male wolf.

 

Their eyes met and she reached her hand out, which he placed his soft white snout on. The candles flickered casting strange shadows around the two of them.

 

A bang on the door caused both of their heads to turn. Her eyes filled with fear to what stood behind the door.

 

The wolf trotted clumsily to a rug on the floor and using his pearly, razor sharp teeth bit into it and pulled it aside. A shabby, dirty looking trapdoor was before them. Quickly, she lifted it up and both of them leaped in.

 

Letting the trapdoor drop shut, the wolf led her down a dark passageway with stalactites and stalagmites on the walls.

 

While she ran beside the red eyed wolf, all that was going through her head was; "Can I trust him?". Even though she didn't know the answer she still paced on beside him.

 

Light became visible and the smell of grass and pinecones filled both their nostrils. They stepped out of the dark, damp, gloomy passage into a beautiful meadow filled with brilliant colours of all shades.

 

She walked before the wolf, running her hands alone the top of the grass. When she turned around the wolf was gone. In his place stood a tall, slim, handsome young boy. She stood there gobsmacked at what she assumed just happened. His red eyes matched the wolf's ones. Everything had changed except them.

 

"I'm Justin," he said in a shy low voice.

"Ingrid".

 

Still spellbound by what had just happened when she turned her back, she stayed silent.

 

"Would you like to see more?"

"What else is there to see? I mean, like, you're a wolf and we're in the middle of a meadow!"

"There's a well."

"A well?"

 

Justin walked towards more meadow and Ingrid followed him. It felt like they had been walking for ages before they came upon on old stone well.

 

The bucket was tipped over at the side and covered in moss and some other green slime.

 

"This is it!" pointing towards the old well.

"Wow, I got my hopes up for nothing."

"It will help you get rid of your guilt."

"What?"

"You're wearing trousers covered in blood, perhaps an old friend?"

"Maybe, why?"

"Lean in deep, close your eyes and wish it all away."

 

Ingrid carefully leaned over the well, closing her eyes. Justin silently stepped behind her and pushed her in, tumbling down deeper and deeper, into darkness.    

© 2014 SilentVoice


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I agree with New Theory, nicely written. I loved it.

Kaze~ :-)

Posted 10 Years Ago


SilentVoice

10 Years Ago

Thanks :) I'm happy you loved it :D
♔ CrownedDevil ☾

10 Years Ago

Your very welcome, and it was my pleasure. :-)
Into darkness , wow you left it in a situation where my mind just imagines so many horrors.
Nice story.

Posted 10 Years Ago


SilentVoice

10 Years Ago

thanks :) i'm glad you liked it.
New Theory

10 Years Ago

you are welcome :)
What the hell happens to her??? oh yea very good btw

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

202 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 11, 2014
Last Updated on March 11, 2014

Author

SilentVoice
SilentVoice

Ireland



About
Hi, I'm Aoife Guilfoyle and i;m Irish. I think it is great that I can share my writing with other people online. Well, it's better than having it in the tattered notebook I keep by my bedside :D. I u.. more..

Writing
Luck Luck

A Poem by SilentVoice