Lord Farley (Discontinued)

Lord Farley (Discontinued)

A Story by AonghasMackay
"

This is an unfinished and unpolished draft of something im no longer working on.

"

Lord Glen Farley stared up at the castles dark walls rising above the mountain it was built into dwarfing the men patrolling it. It was as if it wanted to reach the gods, and indeed Glen had never seen any church steeple reach as high. The towers reached high above the clouds their signal fires seeming the size of a firefly from the bottom of the castle. Green banners’ bearing the Sigil of the Farley’s hung from the walls. The castle, oft nicknamed Farley’s Fortress was Lord Farley’s new seat and had never been broken by siege. “Probably because nobody ever bothered” thought Glen looking at the perilous path below him that climbed the mountain to the castle. It had been ten years since he had seen his family’s home and now at 21 years he had reason to return to it. Lord Farley’s brother, an idiot by all accounts, had fallen from the tower walls while drunk leaving a smear of sick as testament to where he last stood. Glen had come to take the castle as his own and start repairing the mess his brother had made of his family’s name and fortunes.

 

 As he walked towards the castle gates a man called out in a suspicious voice “Hold who goes there.” “Glen Farley lord of Farley’s Fortress come to replace his brother” replied Glen attempting to sound like the noble he was meant to be. No reply came but the gate began to slowly rise. Glen led the way inside his small band of knights following him. As they came through the gate they saw several armed men walking towards them with hostile expressions on their faces. “This way sir” one said in a brisk tone. “That’s milord to you” one of his knights growled from behind him. The man who had spoken first replied “of course it is how could I forget” with sickly smile. He led them through the gate in a pace that suggested he wouldn't wait. With a nervous glance around Glen realized that the man was not leading them into the castle but into one of its many courtyards. Before he could say anything the man swiveled around and the men closed in on them while others emerged from the buildings at the edge of the courtyard.

 

“Draw swords” Glen bellowed at parade ground volume before turning to the leader of the men. “What’s this” he spat. The man’s smile didn't move but one of the other men spoke for him “methinks that one lord was bad enough why should we have another.” Glen stared around at them in disbelief “what did my brother do to this place?” “Just drop your weapons I promise that I’m not my brother.” “Perhaps not but after we just committed an act of treason I think that this might be the safer option.” Glen sighed he knew there was only one way this was going to end. “CHARGE” he yelled throwing him selves forward towards the surrounding men. His knights quickly recovered from the shock that anyone would attempt something so stupid and followed him into the fray. A knight is nearly invincible while clad in full armor but even without their armor they cut through the men in a swath of death leaving the screams of the dying to cut through the silent night.

 

“Mayhap you might tell us before you pull that trick again milord” one of his knights laughed as he walked up next to him wiping the gore of his shoulder. Glen did not reply but instead sheathed his sword and turned to the main group of knights. “I intend to end this shambles that my brother has left; Richard I want you to take a companion and hang these traitors bodies from the walls.” “What if they resist milord?” “Hang them to and then come to the great hall.” “The rest of you with me” Glen ordered. “Yes milord” replied the knights as they split up. Glen led them to the great hall as best as he could remember but it had been many years and it was a while before he made it. The servants reacted surprisingly calmly as fifty heavily armored knights and one angry lord burst into the great hall with a roar. Glen looked around and seeing he had no resistance began to give orders. Secure the barracks and the servant quarters, put out the word that I’m now in command and have all of the men on the parade ground immediately. “You there” he commanded pointing at a young woman clearing the tables at the edge of the hall “who is the head of the runners in this castle.” “There is none milord, Lord Magnus Farley had him beheaded.” Glen looked her in disbelief “what?” his brother truly had made a mess of things. “Well then you’re promoted to head of the runners spread the word of Lord Farley’s arrival.” She stared at him shocked before he snapped “well get to it then.”

© 2013 AonghasMackay


Author's Note

AonghasMackay
This is of course completely unpolished but feel free to review id love to know what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

205 Views
Added on August 18, 2013
Last Updated on November 17, 2013
Tags: action, adventure, knights, lord, farley, glen, castle, fantasy, banners

Author

AonghasMackay
AonghasMackay

Wokingham, United Kingdom



About
I'm an avid fantasy reader and gamer. I've been writing since I was in year one at school and I don't intend to ever stop. I enjoy writing fantasy but am happy to write other genres as well as non-fic.. more..

Writing



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5